School hours 9am-6pm brilliant (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Should it happen or not
me I'm thinking longer school hours will be beneficial to some children

Parents may object though

Now I've stirred it what do you think

Broken Link Removed

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a lot of kids do a very long day... some are dropped off at 0830 am and collected at 6pm. and they are mostly under 4 yrs old ( day nursery ):Sad:

i used to joke with a colleague that her son would be happy when he starts school , he'd shorten his day by 3 hrs.:Blush:

9am - 6pm is too long for concentrated learning IMHO,

any way teachers would be wanting more holidays to compensate:hardhat::reel:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So how does that line up with improving 'family and leisure time' then! :Doh: The kids will then spend even more time away from their family, so by the time they get home it'll be feed them do homework and bed ... oh what fun! I can see kids becoming even more isolated from their peers than they are now with this stupid idea!

I used to work at a nursery and felt really sorry for one kid who was nearly 5, he spent 8.00 am to 5.30 pm there every working day. Put yourself in his shoes ... how would you like to spend that amount of time at school!!!

Its about time people realised that schools are not a bl**dy creche - if you want kids it is YOUR OWN responsibility to make arrangements for them, not 'third parties' all the time. :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with most of the comments expressed against the proposal, but if by extending the school hours homework could be done away with I might be a little more in favour.
I believe learning is best done in a learning environment and the best learning environment for scholastic endeavour is school.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
While my children were of school age I was very much against my wife having to work and was lucky enough to find employment that let us achieve this. Yes it would have been great to have another wage coming in and yes we would have spent it as you do. when I was young I walked to school everyday 1.5 miles each way until I got a bike. when I left home mum had gone to work, she started at 6am and dad, well he was just gone never to be seen again. So I saw very little of my mum. I was sure not going to let this happen to my kids and I was lucky enough that we were there for them.
But getting back to the thread, coming home at 6pm is just too late, leave school at 6pm get home 6.30-7pm or later have tea 7-8pm then what? bed. what's the saying, all work and no play. And what about mum, she's going to bed even later. Its not quantity but quality that is needed.
Steve

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Absolutely mad.......:Eeek:

5 year olds children at school for 9 hours a day, that's a 45 hour week for heavens sake.
It's more than a lot of folk work! At secondary school, I did 9 to 4 and after a double period of maths or chemistry I was ready for home, never mind a further 2 hours at school...:cry:

This proposal seems to be about everything except what's in the best interest of the children... Where do they think people find Mon-Fri 9 to 5 jobs these days, even if that's what they wanted.

"The radical plans are being drawn up by David Cameron's former policy chief Paul Kirby. He believes the measure would solve a wide range of issues, 'transforming the lives of most households in the UK within two years'."

So Kirby is another one who does not live in the real world, where do they find these idiots...:Doh:

Now from the same website , here is a way to get the boys at least to pay more attention in school, regardless of the hours.....

Broken Link Removed

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
[HI]Broken Link Removed[/HI][/quote]

If thats what you get now as classroom assistants I want to go back to school :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well it may suit some parents for the kids to be at school till 6pm.........

They could spend longer in the pub during the afternoon :Eeek:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
At the school I work in I would doubt very much that any of our students would come in for those hours. I can imagine the attendance figures!!!!! On a serious note whilst the general idea does have some validity it would be interesting to see what would happen to all the after school activities, sporting and otherwise. How would children go to Brownies, cubs, guides, athletics, gymnastics, drama, swimming or any other club you can think of. Older children maybe but their homework would most definitely suffer. Younger children would get up, go to school, come home, have tea and then go to bed. What a waste of their childhood, they learn so much from extra curricular activities. My school already offers after school activities as well as revision classes. A longer day would cause huge resentment and I know from asking that it is not a popular suggestion. Mr Gove needs to get a bit of a grip on what real life is actually all about and spend more time working on how to make education valuable and worthwhile.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Can you imagine the effect on the traffic, it would be gridlock combining the school run with the rush hour :Eeek::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back