School Boy Error on Solar or Not? (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Been away for 2 weeks in Germany so far and no plan to return based on the UK Covid updates.
Yesterday was congratulating myself that we haven't needed electric hook up despite been in locations for 3-5 days at a time and how clever I had been to upgrade the solar controller to an MPPT. Although we are a fairly heavy power user I guess, 32 inch tv and speakers, laptops, tablets, phones, hoover and ebikes! The batteries were down to 12.0 this morning.
The new Concorde neighbour moved yesterday and I promptly siezed the better location.
Today despite similar sunshine the panels aren't giving any significant input to batteries.
I suspect that it is due to one of the panels being partly shaded by the trees whereas it wasn't prior to the location move, does this sound reasonable or may I have another issue??
Anyway I've swallowed my pride and plugged into electric as it will give a clean start tomorrow when we move and I can monitor the battery drop off if any.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Shading can reduce power significantly and the sun is also low in the sky. Worth giving the panels a wash too if you can get to them - and move to somewhere without shading of course.

The sun will be higher in the sky the further south you go. Sicily is nice. :)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
From previous information on shadowing it can apparently produce dramatic reductions in power from your solar panels. It's not relative to the area covered and is more of an exponential effect, ie coverage of one quarter of a panel can reduce power by 50%.
But best to keep an eye on your battery levels anyway just in case one has gone down. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There is a U tube vid. Which clearly demonstrates just how little shading is needed to vastly affect the power output.

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Cheers, that puts my mind at rest (sort of) 🙄.
Moving tomorrow anyway and this site is busy so hook up will do for now.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I once attended a seminar on this subject at Peterborough and was amazed at how a little dust or even a shadow from part of a satellite dish can affect the panel. Of course as the winter comes and the angle of the sun gets lower, the output decreases a lot.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Came across an R-V. The owner of which had his Solar panel mounted on the sort of base unit of what looked as if it had been a Satellite dish. It could be orientated to take the maximum input in any location. Never actually spoke to the guy, but it apeared to follow the sun automatically?. No idea if it was comercial, or something he had produced?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Commercial sunseeker panels were very expensive in their day. I have not seen any advertised in the last couple of years. But as I recall an 80 watt panel could produce the same as a 200w panel when it was tracking the movement of the sun. (y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I try and anticipated where the sun will be in the morning. That way I can sleep happily knowing that my batteries are charging. When I do get up, I might need to move 10 yard's to get the full sun and that can double the charging amps.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Commercial sunseeker panels were very expensive in their day. I have not seen any advertised in the last couple of years. But as I recall an 80 watt panel could produce the same as a 200w panel when it was tracking the movement of the sun. (y)
I recall looking at those at a show a few years ago.
I think it had a satellite dish one side and the solar panel mounted on the back. It tracked the sun automatically during the day and served as sat dish in the evening. Rather expensive from memory.

Richard.

Hotpot

Free Member
Sep 16, 2020
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
I am like you, I avoid hook-up's at all costs. Maybe your panel isn't that efficient. I am using a Sharp 300W Monocrystalline and even on bad days this panel delivers enough for my needs so make sure its clean and your connections are good.

I was wondering if you have anything to measure the amps you are using. I use a simple (its really easy to install) Juntek VAT 1200 battery shunt. At about £20 to £25 its probably the best bit of kit I have ever bought for the van (or Victron the version is about £70-£80 the Juntek and will match the Victron in my opinion).

The point I am making is that when you use 12v electric power in your vehicle you will see the amps (current) being used. What you should also see is that the amps reducing as the solar kicks in. Basically you switch something on like a TV and you should see the amps drop on the Juntek Display and at the same time the Watts increasing on your solar display (I use a Victron Display). This tells me what the solar panel is doing and how efficient it is, at a glance. Even in bad weather or shaded areas which is what you want to know.

This link will show you the Juntek and Victron working together. I hope this helps you.
http://www.vintagewatchparts.co.uk/campervan/?cat=33

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I am like you, I avoid hook-up's at all costs. Maybe your panel isn't that efficient. I am using a Sharp 300W Monocrystalline and even on bad days this panel delivers enough for my needs so make sure its clean and your connections are good.

I was wondering if you have anything to measure the amps you are using. I use a simple (its really easy to install) Juntek VAT 1200 battery shunt. At about £20 to £25 its probably the best bit of kit I have ever bought for the van (or Victron the version is about £70-£80 the Juntek and will match the Victron in my opinion).

The point I am making is that when you use 12v electric power in your vehicle you will see the amps (current) being used. What you should also see is that the amps reducing as the solar kicks in. Basically you switch something on like a TV and you should see the amps drop on the Juntek Display and at the same time the Watts increasing on your solar display (I use a Victron Display). This tells me what the solar panel is doing and how efficient it is, at a glance. Even in bad weather or shaded areas which is what you want to know.

This link will show you the Juntek and Victron working together. I hope this helps you.
http://www.vintagewatchparts.co.uk/campervan/?cat=33
What a brilliant post! :sym:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back