Schonek mud flaps last less than 3 years :( (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
One of My Schonek mud flaps fell off just over 2 years from new, the other was about to. Can't find any original replacements so I have made them about 20mm shorter and put them back on till I find something suitable to replace them.

20180502_135622.jpg

Drilled out the holding rivets (no way was I going to bother riveting them back in) and replaced with bolts.
20180502_135838.jpg

cut off the bit left hanging on

20180502_140356.jpg

Replaced the rivets with bolts :)

20180502_135503.jpg

20180502_135449.jpg

Had a cup of coffee :beerchug: and will check the flaps regularly whilst trying to find something else to replace them as no sign of Schonek flaps in the UK :(

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Go to a truck parts factor and get some of this spray suppression mudflap material lasts ages , cut to size .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Our Hymer had had the same problem. It only seems to affect the rear ones as the fronts have more support. Theres no point replacing with the same ones as they won't last very long, so I bought a large mudflap from here. I picked a size big enough to do both rear flaps - cost about £12. Easily trimmed to size with a sharp Stanley knife and still going strong even after travelling through very cold and wet conditions on our way skiing earlier in the year.

Cant remember what size I bought but this is the basic product. lots of different sizes available to suit your requirements...

https://www.bisonparts.co.uk/product/plain-black-rubber-mudflap-24-x-12-single-18714

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Our Hymer had had the same problem. It only seems to affect the rear ones as the fronts have more support. Theres no point replacing with the same ones as they won't last very long, so I bought a large mudflap from here. I picked a size big enough to do both rear flaps - cost about £12. Easily trimmed to size with a sharp Stanley knife and still going strong even after travelling through very cold and wet conditions on our way skiing earlier in the year.

Cant remember what size I bought but this is the basic product. lots of different sizes available to suit your requirements...

https://www.bisonparts.co.uk/product/plain-black-rubber-mudflap-24-x-12-single-18714
Thanks :) That looks like it might be the floppy type though ?? I need the rigid type for a replacement.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks :) That looks like it might be the floppy type though ?? I need the rigid type for a replacement.

They are rubber rather than plastic, but aren't too flexible. Light enough to not tax the fairly wobbly original brackets but bendy enough to avoid the stress fractures caused on the originals.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
O
They are rubber rather than plastic, but aren't too flexible. Light enough to not tax the fairly wobbly original brackets but bendy enough to avoid the stress fractures caused on the originals.
OK will Give it try thanks :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It only seems to affect the rear ones as the fronts have more support. Theres no point replacing with the same ones as they won't last very long,
To stop them flexing too much put a steel bar down from the centre bolt.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes

Old threads I know, this and the above but that’s what I love about MHF, there’s always someone who’s done it already if you search first.
My rear mud flap was just laying on the floor at the back of the wheel, you’d think it would have disappeared along the road somewhere rather than just dropping off. It’s gone quite hard after six years.
Anyway I’ll either be cutting it short for now or buying truck stuff, rather than searching for Schonek.
I think I’d like them a little longer anyway.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Old thread but that is not wear it's torn due to being caught on kerbs or other obstacles I know I've done it myself.
I tore a front one off a couple of years ago found a pair of different make but identical ones even mounting holes in the same place on German ebay for £20.
And recently on my last trip I tore a rear one off, on some rough ground, some twit set the air suspension on low instead of off road. Just got to find where I put the spare one.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Go to a truck parts factor and get some of this spray suppression mudflap material lasts ages , cut to size .
Been there, done that, got the mud flaps. Their great 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back