Schengens loss will be others gain. (1 Viewer)

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
The big panic affecting many motorhomers in the UK seems to be the 90 day rule. As I see it there are many countries outside the Schengen worth visiting. Bulgaria Romania and Croatia being just a few. I can think of worse places to be than Romanias Danube Delta. A lovely part of the world and cheap as chips compared with the Schengen zone. A three day drive, so no further than Spain, use 3 of your 90 days up getting there and 3 coming back. Job done.

Could be a new destination/idea as a change from your rolling Mosel meet? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That is probably not an option for those who would like to be in Spain in their Motorhome for the winter, people buy MoHo's so they do not have to rent an apartment.
I agree. I was just talking about me though.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Bulgaria goes pretty soon in shengen. Romania not yet. To go into the heart of Danube, you will need to leave your vehicle at Tulcea, catch a boat and go to Sulina. We did tree weeks there .A walk to the Black Sea beach or a local pushbike. The place is in need of modernisation but perfectly good and avoid July. Is utterly cooking hot. In winter does not really freeze but is dead. Nice boat trips and pike fishing in the Lumina lake or all over Danube. Padurea Letea( letea forest) with the wild horses are a nice to see, and the bird reservation towards Ukrainian border. The guy we stayed at took us everywhere and let us have a boat for 3 days so we can bimble in the canals. Take lots of mosquito repellant.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are there any ? Certainly not aware of one for France for only tourism . Think our Oz daughter can apply to come for longer as she is visiting family.
According to this site there is may be one for tourism, the more you click through though it just takes to round in circles so how you find out for sure I don't know.

Long-stay visa | France-Visas.gouv.fr (france-visas.gouv.fr)

1609518236757.png

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I was chatting to a Romanian vet we use, he couldn't give me up to date information because he and his family have lived in Spain 16 years, but he said yes a great country to explore in a motorhome, but like all countries you need to do your homework on places to visit, I don't think they are over run with campsites but yes the cost of living is cheap. šŸ‘ šŸ˜

It is a long way, but so are most places from Spain šŸ˜, so we might give it a go. šŸ‘

The other thing I learnt was not all Romanian people, go round the bins and sell stuff at rastro, break into people's property and steal from everyone, some make their new life here and are really nice. šŸ™‚ Bob.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Could be a new destination/idea as a change from your rolling Mosel meet? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Oooh no. I would still want my 90days in Reil. If I could get to Serbia in 2 days from Dunkirk that would give me at least 85 days on the Mosel in late summer.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Instead of Serbia, I recommend North Machedonia. Apart from the Danube side of Serbia, is not much there. Another beautiful spot, even for winter is Monte Negro. The port town Bar has direct ferry to bari in Italy. I have been to Podgorica and loved it.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
That is probably not an option for those who would like to be in Spain in their Motorhome for the winter, people buy MoHo's so they do not have to rent an apartment.
You make a valid point regarding using a motorhome abroad, but not everyone purchases such in order to avoid renting an apartment.
We like European travel but bought ours for UK use. Otherwise we fly and stay in hotels in Spain due to limited time availability to us.
When retirement can be enjoyed, we may also rent apartments on a long term basis abroad, but having a property here in the UK will also continue to have a bearing on our time away from such.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Instead of Serbia, I recommend North Machedonia. Apart from the Danube side of Serbia, is not much there. Another beautiful spot, even for winter is Monte Negro. The port town Bar has direct ferry to bari in Italy. I have been to Podgorica and loved it.
What I meant was, once over the border in Serbia am out of the Schengen. The clock then stops ticking until I return.
I have not spent much time in Romania apart from trips up to Constanta and some touring along the Black Sea coast. Most of my touring was done in Bulgaria.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Iā€™m born and bread Romanian. Left when I was a teenager and lived in UK over 21years. Now dual citizenship since 2006. Way before Ro joined the EU. My wife, sheā€™s Welsh and we managed to get Ro residency for her . We have a second home here and donā€™t affect us the 90 day. I was amazed how many visit Ro now being in EU. Last year I helped a American couple lost in Rarau, running out of fuel in search for main road. They hired a Motorhome in Bucharest and ended in north Bucovina with limited mobile roaming and no sat nav. A local sim 5 euro gives 50gb of data. We was planning for a camp site in the mountains and still in search for the right land. It gets more expensive by the year. Very fast changing country.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I can see the advantages of renting, no capital tied up and if itā€™s time to give up no selling hassle.
We have some very wealthy friends who could buy several properties abroad.

but they prefer to rent long term.

one of them has just rented again and due to the current situation with Brexit has applied and obtained a Portuguese residency.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have read in the Spanish press that the Province of Alicante estimate they have lost 1,320 MILLION Euros in 2020 solely due to no British visitors being on holiday. They are going to spend 2 million Euros on an advertising campaign at the end of March to entice back visitors.
Costa Del Sol already advertising on U.K. tv.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
When I was touring on the Harley I fancied going to Romania to do the transfagarasan highway then I got talking to a Romanian lorry driver driving over here for Walter Carefoot about travel over there. He said the cops will see the foreign British plates and pull you to extract plenty of cash off you! Iā€™m hoping Raul can confirm this isnā€™t the casešŸ‘
BTW Raul a campsite which offers free electrical advice sounds like a winner to me:Grin::Grin:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Yes and no. If you are sensible nobody cares. There are hotspots in villages with radar plenty but you are not going to blast through build up. It used to be bad with cops at every turn. Is not the case anymore for quite some time. We toured Romania 2 up on a Honda vfr, over the transfagarasan, transalpina, and many passes. We toured in Europe Lots with a organised group. Had a fine in AU, almost in IT ( got away) , and Slovenia cops was stoping us and giving neck tubes with SLO logos. In Ro are lots of tourers and organised groups. I have met ppl from Asia, Norway, Sweden on Transfagarasan. On a morning leaving a bĀ£b at lake Colibita, I spot 4 bikes on the lake dam. All GB plates. They where on a 3 week tour and had plans to spend more in the Carpathians. Itā€™s a lovely country and things have come a long way. I recommend it highly to tour june-august on a bike. A tent is nice to have with you if you like camping, lots of places to pitch. If you like old style life, villages in the hills and mountains is your best place. Iā€™m thinking a trail bike like Africa twin or ktm adventure, for two up off road. I canā€™t get on with the boxer I tried. We like to come of the beaten track and explore the beauty of untainted places. Thatā€™s what we do with the van as well when we can. Hence the off grid bias built.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes and no. If you are sensible nobody cares. There are hotspots in villages with radar plenty but you are not going to blast through build up. It used to be bad with cops at every turn. Is not the case anymore for quite some time. We toured Romania 2 up on a Honda vfr, over the transfagarasan, transalpina, and many passes. We toured in Europe Lots with a organised group. Had a fine in AU, almost in IT ( got away) , and Slovenia cops was stoping us and giving neck tubes with SLO logos. In Ro are lots of tourers and organised groups. I have met ppl from Asia, Norway, Sweden on Transfagarasan. On a morning leaving a bĀ£b at lake Colibita, I spot 4 bikes on the lake dam. All GB plates. They where on a 3 week tour and had plans to spend more in the Carpathians. Itā€™s a lovely country and things have come a long way. I recommend it highly to tour june-august on a bike. A tent is nice to have with you if you like camping, lots of places to pitch. If you like old style life, villages in the hills and mountains is your best place. Iā€™m thinking a trail bike like Africa twin or ktm adventure, for two up off road. I canā€™t get on with the boxer I tried. We like to come of the beaten track and explore the beauty of untainted places. Thatā€™s what we do with the van as well when we can. Hence the off grid bias built.
We went to Romania skiing about 25 years ago, it was very friendly amazingly cheap but a bit crude the lunch choice was soup or soup! we went on a trip out and almost every car was the Dacia Renault 12, those that didnt have cars used horses/carts and even the main roads had potholes you could lose your dog in. Would love to go back in a motorhome though, explore the wilder bits.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I left before that. My first comeback was in 2003. But Iā€™m sure 25 years go was very different.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have read in the Spanish press that the Province of Alicante estimate they have lost 1,320 MILLION Euros in 2020 solely due to no British visitors being on holiday. They are going to spend 2 million Euros on an advertising campaign at the end of March to entice back visitors.
Andalucia are currently doing exactly that on mainstream TV at prime time in the UK they want us back obviously.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

l am not so sure about that as itā€™s cheaper to rent an apartment out of season than it is for one months campsite fees in the likes of Benidorm along with other winter favourites.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Andalucia are currently doing exactly that on mainstream TV at prime time in the UK they want us back obviously.
Yes the sadists - putting all these clips of wonderful scenery and sunshine when they know we can't go :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back