Schengen Shufflers planning lengthier European trips (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
An article in the Daily Telegraph today about motorhomers planning longer European ventures, taking account of the new restrictions (copied below):

Meet the Schengen Shufflers – the motorhomers planning lengthier European trips​

Myles and Karen Davies in front of campervan smiling

Myles and Karen Davies, avid campervanners who plan to travel across Europe this winter, despite new Brexit rules

In the post-Brexit world new restrictions mean that those intent on long cross-continent tours need to plan very cleverly

From the 18th-century Grand Tour to gap year interrailers and retired motorhomers heading for the southern European sun, lengthy trips across Europe are the ambition of many Britons. Yet the arrival of new post-Brexit travel regulations – which restrict British passport holders to visits in Schengen Area countries for just 90 days out of every 180 – has made such trips, if not impossible, more administratively tricky. Add to this picture the shifting traffic light system that has left popular holiday spots out of bounds, and travellers have been subject to a level of forward-planning that would bamboozle a top-flight City PA.

For post-Brexit regulations, some canny travellers have come up with a solution: the Schengen shuffle, well-planned itineraries that make the most of countries that are in Europe but not in the Schengen Area, and countries bordering Europe with favourable periods to remain for British passport holders, such as Morocco, the Ukraine and Turkey.

“This is an opportunity to see the fringe bits of Europe,” says Rupert Dillow, 30, a lawyer and keen traveller who’s planning a trip with his girlfriend this year, heading to countries outside the Schengen Area, including Ireland and Croatia, in his Mercedes camper van.

“It took some getting our head around where we can and can’t go,” says Dillow, who’s written an ebook guide on the new travel rules (travelonwards.co.uk/schengen-ebook). “There are EU countries that are within the Schengen Area, to which the new 90-day rule applies; there are countries not in the EU that are in Schengen such as Iceland, Norway and Switzerland; and there are countries in the EU that are outside Schengen where stays will not count towards the 90 day allowance, including Cyprus and Croatia.”

Myles and Karen Davies, 53 and 54, took to the road in their campervan, nicknamed Scoobie, in 2016, after giving up their corporate jobs on the Isle of Man. After a year back in Britain due to the pandemic, they will head to the continent again in winter.

“After some tantrums and tears we realised we can still travel for a year at a time in and around Europe if we plan on a spreadsheet and are very organised about where we will be and when”, says Karen. Departing in December, the couple will drive across France and through Spain, spending a few weeks there before heading to Morocco, where they are eligible for another three-month stay under the North African country’s visa-waiver for British passport holders. Karen adds that she and Myles will take care to ‘spend’ their 90-day Schengen allocation wisely, taking into account the need to travel back home in case of emergency.

Charlie Hutchinson, 32, a British military observer currently living in his motorhome in Ukraine plans to travel into Romania, reentering the Schengen Area in Hungary before heading west through Austria and into Switzerland. Hutchinson hopes that the equalising of travel regulations between favoured European holiday destinations, such as France and bordering countries such as Bulgaria and Ukraine, will encourage Britons to explore more untouristed spots: “the Carpathian Mountains for example, which are like the Alps that time forgot”.

The Davieses, who run the travel blog motoroaming.com, rave about Romania: “It’s like going back to a Thomas Hardy novel with these amazing painted monasteries and locals picturesquely scything grass.”

How to do it

The Schengen Area comprises 26 countries that have officially abolished all passports and all other types of border control at their mutual borders following a 1985 treaty, the Schengen Agreement, that sought to build a ‘Europe without borders’.

Most Schengen Area countries are EU members; there are however, countries that are not in the EU but are ‘associate’ members of Schengen for border and visa purposes, including Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein, and countries such as Ireland, which are in the EU but have opted out of Schengen. There are also ‘pending’ Schengen countries, including Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia, which are not currently in Schengen but are expected to join in the future and where alternative visa arrangements for Britons now apply.

From January 1, 2021, British passport holders can spend 90 days in each rolling 180-day period within the Schengen Area and from 2022 will need to register an electronic application called an Etias prior to entering the Schengen Area, costing around £5.50 per application; etias.com.

For more help and information, visit visa-calculator.com or a Schengen travel/visa calculator.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's not a new idea of course and I can't see many folk following this method. For example, how many will want to spend 3 months in Morocco? I'm not knocking the place, I've been there, but I like to tour around and visit new places. It will suit those happy to spend long periods in the same place but that isn't everyone.

But very happy to be shown I'm wrong. Time will tell over the next few years where are the best places to go to get around the restrictions on our travels.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
It's not a new idea of course and I can't see many folk following this method. For example, how many will want to spend 3 months in Morocco? I'm not knocking the place, I've been there, but I like to tour around and visit new places. It will suit those happy to spend long periods in the same place but that isn't everyone.

But very happy to be shown I'm wrong. Time will tell over the next few years where are the best places to go to get around the restrictions on our travels.
I'll just be Elaine's driver/gardener and accompany her on our trips to France & Spain. She has an Irish passport, and as long as we're together, I don't have to worry about the 90/180 Rule. In practice, we'll probably do a couple of 7 or 8 week trips in late Summer and then mid to late November so we won't go too heavy on the concession.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
I'll just be Elaine's driver/gardener and accompany her on our trips to France & Spain. She has an Irish passport, and as long as we're together, I don't have to worry about the 90/180 Rule. In practice, we'll probably do a couple of 7 or 8 week trips in late Summer and then mid to late November so we won't go too heavy on the concession.

Steve

Are you saying because she has an Irish passport your exempt from the 90/180 day rule with your British passport?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
I only asked because I've an Italian passport but my wife has only a British one so I was wondering if we could stay for longer than the 90days in the EU together.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

And of course we need to be allowed to travel there if the pandemic has not gone which at the moment looks unlikely.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
its interesting in that even before the B word people could travel to those places and did, so its not 'getting around the 90 day piece as what ever you do its still 90 days in 180.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I only asked because I've an Italian passport but my wife has only a British one so I was wondering if we could stay for longer than the 90days in the EU together.
It would seem so. Your wife can accompany you but may only stay longer than 90 in 180 if she is actually there with you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Are you saying because she has an Irish passport your exempt from the 90/180 day rule with your British passport?
Yes as long as she is with him
Yes.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Yes, as a spouse of an EU citizen. If I'm travelling with Elaine, then I don't have to worry. Equally, we can start off together, and spend x days without affecting my 90 days, and I could then swan off on my own and begin to use my 90 days, or any of several other combinations that the EU guide gives amongst the examples in the Border Officers' Manual (Sec 2.1.1 beginning at the foot of Page 17). On my mobile at present, so not able to quote more detail.

Steve

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

Yes as long as she is with him

Yes.

Yes, as a spouse of an EU citizen. If I'm travelling with Elaine, then I don't have to worry. Equally, we can start off together, and spend x days without affecting my 90 days, and I could then swan off on my own and begin to use my 90 days, or any of several other combinations that the EU guide gives amongst the examples in the Border Officers' Manual (Sec 2.1.1 beginning at the foot of Page 17). On my mobile at present, so not able to quote more detail.

Steve

Yes, That‘s correct. Swmbo can spend as much time in the EU as long as she’s with me (I have an Irish passport)

But let’s not tell her please 😉

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Steve
You best hope she don't leave you for someone with a mercedes.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Apparently yes you can, I wouldn’t like to mislead you on this, it is only from what I’ve read from the Schengen topics, and they say that providing one of you has a E.U. passport the other is subject to the same time restrictions providing you are both travelling together, but I would look into it yourself and get first hand information of the actual ruling.

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
We're doing a little under 7 months on the continent in 2022. We'll be spending 3 months in Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria before re-entering the Schengen area in Greece.

Prior to this we wouldn't have really considered spending so long in these counties, but the more we look into it, the more excited we're getting... about Croatia and Romania in particular.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We're doing a little under 7 months on the continent in 2022. We'll be spending 3 months in Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria before re-entering the Schengen area in Greece.

Prior to this we wouldn't have really considered spending so long in these counties, but the more we look into it, the more excited we're getting... about Croatia and Romania in particular.
Sounds exciting to me too. Have you sorted some insurance?

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
We'll be applying for Spain's digital nomad visa at some point after that trip, which will give us some extra time away (y)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
An article in the Daily Telegraph today about motorhomers planning longer European ventures, taking account of the new restrictions (copied below):

Meet the Schengen Shufflers – the motorhomers planning lengthier European trips​

Myles and Karen Davies in front of campervan smiling

Myles and Karen Davies, avid campervanners who plan to travel across Europe this winter, despite new Brexit rules

In the post-Brexit world new restrictions mean that those intent on long cross-continent tours need to plan very cleverly

From the 18th-century Grand Tour to gap year interrailers and retired motorhomers heading for the southern European sun, lengthy trips across Europe are the ambition of many Britons. Yet the arrival of new post-Brexit travel regulations – which restrict British passport holders to visits in Schengen Area countries for just 90 days out of every 180 – has made such trips, if not impossible, more administratively tricky. Add to this picture the shifting traffic light system that has left popular holiday spots out of bounds, and travellers have been subject to a level of forward-planning that would bamboozle a top-flight City PA.

For post-Brexit regulations, some canny travellers have come up with a solution: the Schengen shuffle, well-planned itineraries that make the most of countries that are in Europe but not in the Schengen Area, and countries bordering Europe with favourable periods to remain for British passport holders, such as Morocco, the Ukraine and Turkey.

“This is an opportunity to see the fringe bits of Europe,” says Rupert Dillow, 30, a lawyer and keen traveller who’s planning a trip with his girlfriend this year, heading to countries outside the Schengen Area, including Ireland and Croatia, in his Mercedes camper van.

“It took some getting our head around where we can and can’t go,” says Dillow, who’s written an ebook guide on the new travel rules (travelonwards.co.uk/schengen-ebook). “There are EU countries that are within the Schengen Area, to which the new 90-day rule applies; there are countries not in the EU that are in Schengen such as Iceland, Norway and Switzerland; and there are countries in the EU that are outside Schengen where stays will not count towards the 90 day allowance, including Cyprus and Croatia.”

Myles and Karen Davies, 53 and 54, took to the road in their campervan, nicknamed Scoobie, in 2016, after giving up their corporate jobs on the Isle of Man. After a year back in Britain due to the pandemic, they will head to the continent again in winter.

“After some tantrums and tears we realised we can still travel for a year at a time in and around Europe if we plan on a spreadsheet and are very organised about where we will be and when”, says Karen. Departing in December, the couple will drive across France and through Spain, spending a few weeks there before heading to Morocco, where they are eligible for another three-month stay under the North African country’s visa-waiver for British passport holders. Karen adds that she and Myles will take care to ‘spend’ their 90-day Schengen allocation wisely, taking into account the need to travel back home in case of emergency.

Charlie Hutchinson, 32, a British military observer currently living in his motorhome in Ukraine plans to travel into Romania, reentering the Schengen Area in Hungary before heading west through Austria and into Switzerland. Hutchinson hopes that the equalising of travel regulations between favoured European holiday destinations, such as France and bordering countries such as Bulgaria and Ukraine, will encourage Britons to explore more untouristed spots: “the Carpathian Mountains for example, which are like the Alps that time forgot”.

The Davieses, who run the travel blog motoroaming.com, rave about Romania: “It’s like going back to a Thomas Hardy novel with these amazing painted monasteries and locals picturesquely scything grass.”

How to do it

The Schengen Area comprises 26 countries that have officially abolished all passports and all other types of border control at their mutual borders following a 1985 treaty, the Schengen Agreement, that sought to build a ‘Europe without borders’.

Most Schengen Area countries are EU members; there are however, countries that are not in the EU but are ‘associate’ members of Schengen for border and visa purposes, including Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein, and countries such as Ireland, which are in the EU but have opted out of Schengen. There are also ‘pending’ Schengen countries, including Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia, which are not currently in Schengen but are expected to join in the future and where alternative visa arrangements for Britons now apply.

From January 1, 2021, British passport holders can spend 90 days in each rolling 180-day period within the Schengen Area and from 2022 will need to register an electronic application called an Etias prior to entering the Schengen Area, costing around £5.50 per application; etias.com.

For more help and information, visit visa-calculator.com or a Schengen travel/visa calculator.
I see a confusion between citizenship and residency on the Etias link

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Yes. Whilst a non EU citizen travels together with his/her EU citizen spouse/family member, there is no use of the 90/180 days allowance. You can start a joint trip, then split up [e.g. for EU citizen to return to UK for a work commitment], and then the Third Country spouse begins to use his/her personal 90/180 days allowance. There are several examples of differing combinations of stay in the Border Guards Technical Manual, starting as the foot of Page 17.

EU Stay Border Guard Rules Manual Page 17 et seq

Steve

Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Sorry to dig up this old thread but Mrs Reboot is getting worried about over staying her 90 in 180 days even though she is married to an EU citizen i.e me. I've reassured her that it doesn't effect her but........ What I'm asking is has anyone actually physically tested the right of a European Citizen to have his/her UK spouse overstay the 90 in 180 day rule and was there any consequences.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Sorry to dig up this old thread but Mrs Reboot is getting worried about over staying her 90 in 180 days even though she is married to an EU citizen i.e me. I've reassured her that it doesn't effect her but........ What I'm asking is has anyone actually physically tested the right of a European Citizen to have his/her UK spouse overstay the 90 in 180 day rule and was there any consequences.
Who knows. Just print off the Border Guards guidance document that was linked, have it with you and stand your ground. If they lock you up, call the British Consulate. It'll be a story to tell down the pub.......

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Would this still be applicable if you held an irish passport and your partner held a British passport, but you're not married? albeit youve been together for 25 years?
If anyone knows the answer to this it would be helpful for me too. My partner is an EU citizen in a schengen country in which we live. We have been together for years but never married. Is a long term partnership counted as per marriage?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, we tested it for 6 months. No consequences at all. I asked at the border about stamping my passport and was told it was not necessary.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Yes, we tested it for 6 months. No consequences at all. I asked at the border about stamping my passport and was told it was not necessary.
That's good news. May I ask what port of entry that was?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back