Schengen Rule (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I know the Schengen rule refers to 90 days in 180 days but how do you calculate it if, on part of your tour, you visit a non Schengen country. For instance you leave the UK at beginning of January and spend 2 months in France and Italy before moving into Croatia. You spend 2 months here. Then you travel back into France and stay another month. In theory I have spent 3 months in a Schengen country and 2 months in a non Schengen, making 5 months in total, would this be allowed and if so how would the authorities police it

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the moment you enter a Schengen country the 180 day clock start ticking, in the next 180 days you may stay upto 90 days.

use the calculator below and just put in all your travel dates;

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you leave and return you still only have 90 days from the first date your arrived in the Schengen zone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
would this be allowed
Yes as you haven't exceeded your 90 days in a rolling 180 day period. The next time you can legitimately go back into a Schengen country for a future trip is the thing you have to check though, so if you wait until the first 2 month stint has gone off the rolling period, you could then have 2 more months in Schengen.

If you assume all months have 30 days in them and you go on 1st Jan for 2 months to end Feb, then go to Croatia on 1st March for 2 months to end of April, then return to Schengen on 1st May for a month, the next time you could go into Schengen would be 1st July ... I think!

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I know the Schengen rule refers to 90 days in 180 days but how do you calculate it if, on part of your tour, you visit a non Schengen country. For instance you leave the UK at beginning of January and spend 2 months in France and Italy before moving into Croatia. You spend 2 months here. Then you travel back into France and stay another month. In theory I have spent 3 months in a Schengen country and 2 months in a non Schengen, making 5 months in total, would this be allowed and if so how would the authorities police it
As Phil suggests, use the EU Calculator. The Stay criterion is a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days, so you need to look backwards as well as forwards. In your example, arrive in France 1st January [not having stayed in the Schengen Zone in the preceding 180 days] and travel onto Italy, leaving 28th February, giving 59 days stay; Croatia stay during March and April does not count, so returning to France in May would give you another 31 days stay, using your 90 days in full.

Return to UK for, say, June & July would extinguish your January stay on the 180 days countback, and you would be allowed to return to France for, say, August & September because your start with February stay used [28 days] and May [31 days] BUT the February stay will fall away in your 2nd stay, so by 28th August you have only used 59 days from May & August. September uses another 30 days, leaving you at 89 days in the preceding 180 days. If you want to make the calculations more complicated, marry an Irish Passport holder and travel jointly; the joint travel doesn't count against the 90 days allowance ...

I haven't checked these dates against the Schengen Calculator so please try it and if I've messed up the figures, please reply to this post and I'll grovel in apology!

Steve

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
Yes as you haven't exceeded your 90 days in a rolling 180 day period. The next time you can legitimately go back into a Schengen country for a future trip is the thing you have to check though, so if you wait until the first 2 month stint has gone off the rolling period, you could then have 2 more months in Schengen.

If you assume all months have 30 days in them and you go on 1st Jan for 2 months to end Feb, then go to Croatia on 1st March for 2 months to end of April, then return to Schengen on 1st May for a month, the next time you could go into Schengen would be 1st September ... I think!
I think you will find that its the 1st of July. That's what the Schengen Calculator says. Unless I'm mistaken.

OP
OP
Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I just wondered how the authorities keep a check on your movements. Are there more border control checks so that passports get stamped

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I just wondered how the authorities keep a check on your movements. Are there more border control checks so that passports get stamped
They do not check your movements, only the entry and exit from the E.U. This is why your passport is stamped upon entry.

OP
OP
Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I get that but from my example I would have been away for 5 months, 3 months within Schengen and 2 months in non Schengen. Having my passport stamped when I enter France and returning 5 months later, although legal, how do the authorities track my movements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I get that but from my example I would have been away for 5 months, 3 months within Schengen and 2 months in non Schengen. Having my passport stamped when I enter France and returning 5 months later, although legal, how do the authorities track my movements
I think unless you had your passport stamped when entering croatia and then re-entering france you would have to prove you had left and returned. Thats how i see it .

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
All recorded electronically against n number of databases, though there is some debate whether the EU is monitoring them at present for overstays, and I don't want to volunteer to find out! The absence of stamps on the passport is not relevant, it's the 'swipe/scan' as you pass.

If you want a bedtime read, the Border Guards Operational Manual link is below.

Steve

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We traveled accross shengen this summer, two weeks in Germany, then headed into Romania for 8 weeks. When I exited shengen in Hungary, because my dual citizenship, we didn got stamped out, nor into Romania. The fun was when we left Ro after 8 weeks into Hungary. We cleared Ro border ok, me dual citizenship, wife Ro residency certificate. The Hungarian border guard will not let us in, as we did not have a stamp out. We explained our situation, also input from the Ro border guard, but no. Your border man is your judge at that time. We had enough paper receipts from rovinette and phone network operators welcome messages, that produced enough to prove we have exited Hungary for 8 weeks and we re enter. Was a funny late evening that, and I will ask for stamp out every time we cross shengen from now on. Eventually we got let in, stamped, then spent two weeks in Germany again. When we got to Calais the French border guy flicked every page in both passports looking for stamps. We got stamped out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you will find that its the 1st of July. That's what the Schengen Calculator says. Unless I'm mistaken.
Yes, unfortunately hubby brought my tea in (fish, chips & mushy peas :tounge:) before I could double check, I've altered it now.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Croatia has always checked passports in and out, so no worries there, it's only Schengen borders that check passports, if you entered France and drive through to say Italy it's only when you leave anyone is interested. 😁

These days it's all recognition, a police officer has done his research before he stops you. 😀

Try and get though a self scan at an airport without looking at the camera. 😁 Bob.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
As Phil suggests, use the EU Calculator. The Stay criterion is a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days, so you need to look backwards as well as forwards. In your example, arrive in France 1st January [not having stayed in the Schengen Zone in the preceding 180 days] and travel onto Italy, leaving 28th February, giving 59 days stay; Croatia stay during March and April does not count, so returning to France in May would give you another 31 days stay, using your 90 days in full.

Return to UK for, say, June & July would extinguish your January stay on the 180 days countback, and you would be allowed to return to France for, say, August & September because your start with February stay used [28 days] and May [31 days] BUT the February stay will fall away in your 2nd stay, so by 28th August you have only used 59 days from May & August. September uses another 30 days, leaving you at 89 days in the preceding 180 days. If you want to make the calculations more complicated, marry an Irish Passport holder and travel jointly; the joint travel doesn't count against the 90 days allowance ...

I haven't checked these dates against the Schengen Calculator so please try it and if I've messed up the figures, please reply to this post and I'll grovel in apology!

Steve
I don’t find the Schengen calculator at all helpful, for example you can enter the date you arrive in and the date you leave the zone, and it tells you exactly how many days you have been in the zone, simples I can count that myself within the need for a calculator but what I can’t get my head around is if I arrive in the zone on 1st Jan and leave 28th Feb. that’s 59 days used of my allowance, so assuming I hop over to Morocco on 1st March and return in the zone (Spain) on 30th of May, then the 180 days term ends on 29th June so I can have another 29 days in the zone when I arrive back from Morocco, So this means I now have to wait until 27th September which is 90days back in uk before I can re-enter the zone, well, that’s how I understand it, the problem with the calculator is it on ly allows you to enter two dates, arrival&departure
It does not offer any option for entering two dates with a period of 59 days, then a gap on the same calculation to enter a further two dates, in other words it doesn’t say to you you can only stay this second visit for X amount of days, or have I got this wrong.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I don’t find the Schengen calculator at all helpful, for example you can enter the date you arrive in and the date you leave the zone, and it tells you exactly how many days you have been in the zone, simples I can count that myself within the need for a calculator but what I can’t get my head around is if I arrive in the zone on 1st Jan and leave 28th Feb. that’s 59 days used of my allowance, so assuming I hop over to Morocco on 1st March and return in the zone (Spain) on 30th of May, then the 180 days term ends on 29th June so I can have another 29 days in the zone when I arrive back from Morocco, So this means I now have to wait until 27th September which is 90days back in uk before I can re-enter the zone, well, that’s how I understand it, the problem with the calculator is it on ly allows you to enter two dates, arrival&departure
It does not offer any option for entering two dates with a period of 59 days, then a gap on the same calculation to enter a further two dates, in other words it doesn’t say to you you can only stay this second visit for X amount of days, or have I got this wrong.
But it does tell you how many days you have overstayed in your multi dates so you know what you have to adjust.

Aug 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
I’ve heard that if your partner holds a EU passport and you hold British passport then you can stay for 180 days if you can prove that you left the country together! Is this correct ?

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
or have I got this wrong.
Yes.

Click the little yellow '+' sign at the bottom and you can enter a second set of dates, and then a third, and so on. It will calculate over all the sets of dates you enter, looking backwards and forwards.

Note, however, that the calculator is not 'official' in any way; it's private and nothing to do with the EU. Once it gives you an answer, make sure to check it yourself. All you have to do is confirm that you're not staying more than 90 days in any conceivable 180-day period.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
If you want to make the calculations more complicated, marry an Irish Passport holder and travel jointly; the joint travel doesn't count against the 90 days allowance ...

Que? So if you travel with an Irish passport holder you can completely ignore the 90/180 rule?

I checked, and you got it right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back