Schengen Calculator - Might be useful when we are allowed to travel (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If any funsters have come to grips with the Schengen stay rule, I would be grateful for some guidance svp.

Our plan is to travel down from Santander to Gibraltar, where - currently, but subject to final verifications - we can stop the “clock” as we get our passports exit-stamped at La Linea. The journey down should take no more than 3 days max. (87 days now left on the ticker!)

We plan to overwinter (in the family flat) in Gibraltar and from there take short 7/14 day motorhome breaks into Spain at spaced out intervals between November and March and returning after each break to Gib to stop the clock again.

Is my understanding correct that Schengen visits can be staggered over ANY 180 day period (as long as they total no more than 90 days)?

(I imagine that this is also very relevant to holiday home owners who do not have/want residency/long stay authorisations too.)

It has been quite difficult for me to get my head around this and even now, I am not sure if I’ve posed the question accurately.

Thanks for any interpretations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
You don't need a calculator. It's really simple. You are allowed 90 days in the 180 days following your first entry to Schengen. Leaving Schengen does not start the clock again, but obviously you are no longer counting your days against the 90.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I thought Gibraltar was going to be part of the Schengen system. If not now, in the near future ?.

PS: I have a BF code if you need a discount .

Not quite fully in Schengen. Passports other than Gib issued British passports are being stamped upon entry into Spain from Gib. There have been considerable queues at the border as entrants are checked to see which passports they hold.
Like you, I thought that the original agreement meant that the Schengen control would be at Gib airport and Gib seaport but this procedure caters for incoming personnel and the “new” checking system seems to target the British non-Gib issued passport holders who reside in Gib. Locals as well as the daily Spain based commuters are not time limit constrained but have to queue along with everyone else. Not fun when you are doing it daily.
There is talk of separate channels for the future.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not quite fully in Schengen. Passports other than Gib issued British passports are being stamped upon entry into Spain from Gib. There have been considerable queues at the border as entrants are checked to see which passports they hold.
Like you, I thought that the original agreement meant that the Schengen control would be at Gib airport and Gib seaport but this procedure caters for incoming personnel and the “new” checking system seems to target the British non-Gib issued passport holders who reside in Gib. Locals as well as the daily Spain based commuters are not time limit constrained but have to queue along with everyone else. Not fun when you are doing it daily.
There is talk of separate channels for the future.
If they're checking people going into Spain but not on the way out I wonder if the Schengen clock stops when you go back into Gib or not.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
If any funsters have come to grips with the Schengen stay rule, I would be grateful for some guidance svp.

Our plan is to travel down from Santander to Gibraltar, where - currently, but subject to final verifications - we can stop the “clock” as we get our passports exit-stamped at La Linea. The journey down should take no more than 3 days max. (87 days now left on the ticker!)

We plan to overwinter (in the family flat) in Gibraltar and from there take short 7/14 day motorhome breaks into Spain at spaced out intervals between November and March and returning after each break to Gib to stop the clock again.

Is my understanding correct that Schengen visits can be staggered over ANY 180 day period (as long as they total no more than 90 days)?

(I imagine that this is also very relevant to holiday home owners who do not have/want residency/long stay authorisations too.)

It has been quite difficult for me to get my head around this and even now, I am not sure if I’ve posed the question accurately.

Thanks for any interpretations.
This is the official EU Stay Calculator. Enter the days stayed to date and it will automatically show how long your trip can last for.

EU Schengen Stay Calculator

Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Like you, I thought that the original agreement meant that the Schengen control would be at Gib airport and Gib seaport but this procedure caters for incoming personnel and the “new” checking system seems to target the British non-Gib issued passport holders who reside in Gib.
No the agreement means that Spain controls the Gibraltarian schengen access

If they're checking people going into Spain but not on the way out I wonder if the Schengen clock stops when you go back into Gib or not.
I'm not too sure anyone knows how it is supposed to be working?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back