Schaudt EBL220-2 Float or Storage Charge (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, after replacing my habitation batteries to Victron Gel’s (2x90ah) and switching the battery selector switch to gel, I have noticed that when fully charged (on EHU at home) the voltage stays at 13.9v. Does this seem a little high?

I have a Schaudt EBL220 unit. On the Victron website it gives a ‘float’ voltage of between 13.5 and 13.8 and a ‘storage’ voltage of 13.2 and 13.5.

What is the difference between float and storage? Is storage just physical storage in the meaning of not on charge at all?

Dave

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think that most battery manufacturers have reduced their recommended float voltages by about 0.2 - 0.3V over recent years. It may be something to do with the rapid uptake of smart chargers, so that more batteries are left on semi-permanent charge these days, often for long periods with very little load applied.

I would guess that what they mean by storage is an extreme version of the above - where there is no load connected to the battery at all & a charger is left permanently connected, rather than only applying a refresh charge for say, 24hrs once a month.

I have no access to long term EHU, but I do have 200W of solar panel on the roof. I have a Victron controller & their phone app that gives full reporting & control over the charging parameters. The recommended float voltage for my Exide gel batteries is 0.2V lower than the standard Victron charge profile, so I have lowered the float figure to Exide's recommended figure.

At the other end of the scale, there are still a few new campervans being fitted with battery chargers that only ever supply a constant 13.6V, so they never will have fully charged batteries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back