Schaudt and solar 300w (1 Viewer)

Dan Payne

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
Hi guys.

First post and I bet everyone is groaning about yet another solar post!!!

I have just purchased a 2007 Frankia a840 which has an ebl220 and dt220 control panel.

The van has already had a solar panel fitted with a lr1218 controller. Unfortunately am unsure of the age or size of panel so may look at replacing.

I would like to have 3 x 100w panels but unsure of the best way of going about this wiring wise with the setup I have. I believe the end is limited to 270w.

Looking at upgrading the solar controller to the lrm1218 so it’s a mttp Unit.

Leisure battery wise it currently has 2x 140ah banner batteries. Hoping these do not meet replacing yet!!!

Any advice on the way to wire in 2 extra panels would be greatly appreciated.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well, reading the instructions for EBL220 it say 14 amps maximum so that would not cope with 300 watts of panel, if the EBL doesn't use battery capacity in its protection regime ( I can't see it in the instructions) you should be OK taking one set of panels straight through to the batteries and let the other set go through the EBL if you wish.

There are people who know this system better than me though so they will help.

Martin

OP
OP
D

Dan Payne

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
Well, reading the instructions for EBL220 it say 14 amps maximum so that would not cope with 300 watts of panel, if the EBL doesn't use battery capacity in its protection regime ( I can't see it in the instructions) you should be OK taking one set of panels straight through to the batteries and let the other set go through the EBL if you wish.

There are people who know this system better than me though so they will help.

Martin

Thanks martin. From what I’ve read issues can occur if wired straight to battery with the this ebl. I’m no expert though so will await more advise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks martin. From what I’ve read issues can occur if wired straight to battery with the this ebl. I’m no expert though so will await more advise
You could well be right, it might depend on some setting in the control panel DT 220, it may depend on settings for battery capacity measurement.

Instruction Manual for Control and Display Panel DT 220 C

•  Use the ”+” and ”-” buttons to set the year.

•  Confirm the entry by pressing ”OK”.

•  Press the ”Setup” menu button.
F The day display flashes.

•  Use the ”+” and ”-” buttons to set the day.

•  Confirm the entry by pressing ”OK”.
F The month display flashes.

•  Set the month the same way.

•  Press the ”Main menu” button once you have finished.
F The display stays lit up.
F The main menu is displayed.

Setting the installed (nominal) capacity for the living area battery

Y This can only be entered when option ”Battery capacity measurement” is enabled.

 Press the ”Battery menu” button.
F The display lights up.
F The remaining usable capacity of the living area battery is displayed.

 Press the ”Setup” menu button and keep it pressed for 3 seconds.

F The display switches to the battery menu setup mode.

F The maximum usable capacity of the living area battery is displayed. The system uses the configurable ”installed (nominal) battery capa- city” to calculate this value.

 Press the Setup button again whilst the display is lit up.

F The display of the installed (nominal) living area battery capacity flas- hes.

OP
OP
D

Dan Payne

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
Right been looking at this some more and getting fully confused. as Martin pointed out the EBL 220 can only accept 14amps, which is 168w of solar at 12v. Not really what I wanted. However if run in series and the voltage is 24v then this raises 336w. The ebl is supposedly happy up to 270w.

Im just wondereing what others with this set up have sone for maximum solar arrays.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I also have a Frankia with the same control as you,I have fitted 250w of solar through an LR1218. Not had any problems in 5 years.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Right been looking at this some more and getting fully confused. as Martin pointed out the EBL 220 can only accept 14amps, which is 168w of solar at 12v. Not really what I wanted. However if run in series and the voltage is 24v then this raises 336w. The ebl is supposedly happy up to 270w.

Im just wondereing what others with this set up have sone for maximum solar arrays.
You must be dreaming if you think you will get 14a out of 168w of solar, i fitted 1 x 100w and 1 x 150w panels. Max output is around 5.5a for the 100w panel and 8.3a for the 150w panel.

OP
OP
D

Dan Payne

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
You must be dreaming if you think you will get 14a out of 168w of solar, i fitted 1 x 100w and 1 x 150w panels. Max output is around 5.5a for the 100w panel and 8.3a for the 150w panel.
Not dreaming just doing sums. I understand that the panels won't run at that. Thats the reason for asking advice.

OP
OP
D

Dan Payne

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
I also have a Frankia with the same control as you,I have fitted 250w of solar through an LR1218. Not had any problems in 5 years.
Thats good to know. Reading so much my bloody head is getting dizzy and feel I'm going back wards lol

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Not dreaming just doing sums. I understand that the panels won't run at that. Thats the reason for asking advice.
Best have a look online at panels plus see what you can fit on your roof,you shouldn’t be short of space with the 840. I bought mine from suppliers on eBay.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am not absolutely sure about the EBL 220 but most EBL's the solar connections are straight through so you can just change the fuse without any problems. On my van I have 300 watts of Solar and on my EBL 30 I changed the 15 amp fuse for a 25 amp.

I wouldn't use an LR1218 on any type of battery other than Gels as it does not reduce to a float charge when the batteries are charged.

If going to fit 300 watts of solar you will need to change the regulator, best one to use with your system is the Votronic I've just fitted a Votronic MPP 350, the output from it is far better than other regulators I've used a lot better than an LR1217. These regulators have an optional loom to connect to the EBL if you have the LCD control panel that can show the solar charge level.

OP
OP
D

Dan Payne

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Funster No
I am not absolutely sure about the EBL 220 but most EBL's the solar connections are straight through so you can just change the fuse without any problems. On my van I have 300 watts of Solar and on my EBL 30 I changed the 15 amp fuse for a 25 amp.

I wouldn't use an LR1218 on any type of battery other than Gels as it does not reduce to a float charge when the batteries are charged.

If going to fit 300 watts of solar you will need to change the regulator, best one to use with your system is the Votronic I've just fitted a Votronic MPP 350, the output from it is far better than other regulators I've used a lot better than an LR1217. These regulators have an optional loom to connect to the EBL if you have the LCD control panel that can show the solar charge level.
Nice thanks Lenny. Will investigate up rating the fuse and if possible with the ebl220.
The lr1218 is already installed but would like to swap it out so will look at the votronic unit you suggested.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back