Scenic Routes Through East France/switzerland/italy (1 Viewer)

Silver Lady Old

Free Member
Dec 7, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
Spending 6 weeks in July/August driving through France - any thoughts on must-see places en route - happy to go into Belgium, Switzerland, Italy too. I'd like to see a lake or two..... Only aim at moment is to go to Monaco (yes, I know it will be mega busy, but tied to school hols and it may well be hell), probably get ferry to/from Caen or Le Havre....
Any ideas would be welcome!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Spend a few days in Alsace along the wine route try the aire in obernai there is an alsace evening with traditional dancing in the square once a week the tourist office will say which the aire is 150 yards from the town centre and free (its just a huge car park we loved it)

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
IMG_2621.jpg
Maybe not anywhere near your route but if you find yourself in Switzerland you must visit Lauterbrunnen, It has the most beautiful alpine scenery I have ever seen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
  • Scotty boy is spot on, you must see Lauterbraunen .Take the train up Jungfraujoch to the observatory and glacier. short bus ride to Trumbachfalle. All very expensive but worth it.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hi silver lady , stay out of Monaco and get the train in , much less stressful !
We're off to France soon also , I'll follow this thread with interest . bonne journee .

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Love the Bernese Oberland, we stayed in Interlaken on an ACSI site 2 years ago and did the whole region with Swiss passes.

deanjo

Free Member
May 16, 2015
south yorks
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
you could go via eastern france(alsace/grand ballon region) into Switzerland through the alps into Italy then visit monoco before heading back into the alps on your way back up.

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
Hi
We have just come over the Jura Mountains on N5/D1005 via Col de la Faucille to Gex. Very scenic route. Now staying at Lac D'Annecy which is also a very scenic area although very busy July/August
Terry

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The cost of Swiss road tunnels (ie Gotthard to Italy) is included in your vignette/carnet, which you buy to use their motorways. The cost of French road tunnels is extra, and at times is bloody extravagant where MHs are concerned. Worth considering when you plan your route.

The Route Napoleon to the south is quite picturesque.

The autoroute from South of France (ie Monaco) into Italy doesn't involve cruising along the coast with window down, arm resting on the door as the warm azure waters of the Mediterranean slide by on the right. It more resembles a late 1980s car racing arcade game (ie bridgetunnelbendtunnelbendbridgebendtunnelbridgebendbendtunnel etc) and I swear you spend as much time underground as you do in the open air. Just so you're not under any illusions there. :)

OP
OP
Silver Lady Old

Silver Lady Old

Free Member
Dec 7, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all suggestions so far and tip regarding Monaco. Alpine scenery looks fantastic- can't wait for July to come. Let me know where you end up going colinw. Last year we went down through the Lot, Dordogne, to Andorra, and then across south coast ending up in the hills above St Tropez for 1 night and then a couple at Port Grimaud. It was great to return there after 40 odd years and amazed they hadn't changed that much in that time. Then took a couple of days driving back to Le Havre, stopping at Salorny sur Guye (recommend municipal site there) and La Charite sur Loire (lovely historic town). A great trip that took just over 3 weeks.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Cheap fuel at Livigno if you cross there .. Also second the train to monaco.. Scenic and stress free

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back