Scary, Motorhome Explodes....... (1 Viewer)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Scary. Glad everyone safe...

Shiftzz didn't mistake it for a Burstner perchance? :mask::sneaky::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Gas ring left on, gas leak inside the van can fill the inside of a sealed motorhome very quickly. Try leaving the gas on for 10 seconds before you light the grill and you will see the potential of a van full of gas. All it will require is a source of ignition and boom.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
If they were preparing to go away, it was probably on hook up, with the fridge running. That would provide the ignition source for an LPG escape.

Shropshire F&R service have a very competent fire investigation team.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
what is frightening seeing the pics, apart from the damage done to the vehicle, is the extent of damage to their house as well..
and the thought that this could happen on a site where space between vehicles is limited..
that family have had their holiday plans ruined, but thankfully there was no loss to life or injury, that's one heck of a lucky escape, and much to be thankful for..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Gas ring left on, gas leak inside the van can fill the inside of a sealed motorhome very quickly. Try leaving the gas on for 10 seconds before you light the grill and you will see the potential of a van full of gas. All it will require is a source of ignition and boom.

Um, it was on fire, then exploded (as very overheated gas bottles are wont to do). No suggestion of a prior gas leak.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Wonder if insures are looking, shows the potential cost of having a motorhome with gas on board on your driveway. Is this a question asked when setting up home insurance?.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Wonder if insures are looking, shows the potential cost of having a motorhome with gas on board on your driveway. Is this a question asked when setting up home insurance?.

Wouldn't the claim be against the MH insurer anyway?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Is it really any different than the petrol tank on everyone's drive?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
£400,000 !!!!!! That must've been a heck of a Hymer:eek:

I was thinking that myself:RollEyes: but obviously it's been printed without anybody noticing the error.
Real scary to see that photo.......thankfully nobody was hurt.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
They say that petrol steals the explosive scene when put alongside the BANG properties of LPG. Much more volatile. I can only guess that this is because of the volume of air needed to allow ignition???

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Well it didn't seem to be in the pics - must have got away smartish...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It is the vapour that explodes not the liquid. I'll tell you a story about Buncefield when it went up. A friend of mine was driving to work through the Hemel Hempsted industrial estate about half a mile from the storage depot. He could smell a really strong vapour so he pulled up and turned his ignition off but his engine continued to run. As it turned out it was the air that was so saturated with petrol that the the air intake was running the hot engine. Being and engineer he realised what was going on and managed to get away before the huge bang some ten minuets later. I think his wife had a change of underpants ready for him.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I do know that Shell Petrochemicals at Carrington, have fire vehicles fitted with fully enclosed electric motors in case of a leakage incident, and that all fire pumps etc called from the local area cannot enter until either a fire/explosion has happened, or the source is neutralised.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
OMG. Something else to worry about .... blown fuses, dead batteries, and leaking gas .... crumbs ... dangerous lark this motorhoming innit?

Thank goodness no-one hurt and thank goodness it doesn't appear to be one of us as we would have heard by now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back