Scarborough (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I can understand councils being wary of over night parking in case low life’s move in and wreck the place but we are not all like that and we are happy to pay for the use of a dedicated parking spot. Some one on the council can’t see a source of income. After this summers restrictions you would think they would be glad of the extra income. I hope this dosnt spread to other towns like Helmsley. They are so switched on to motorhomes.
Whitby are thinking of motorhome parking out of season to make money from empty car parks.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I can understand councils being wary of over night parking in case low life’s move in and wreck the place but we are not all like that and we are happy to pay for the use of a dedicated parking spot. Some one on the council can’t see a source of income. After this summers restrictions you would think they would be glad of the extra income. I hope this dosnt spread to other towns like Helmsley. They are so switched on to motorhomes.
Whitby are thinking of motorhome parking out of season to make money from empty car parks.
SBC are not wary, I believe its more to do with either family or friends having interests in camp sites or the local camp site and hoteliers using threatening lobbying tactics in belief that if motorhomers cant park we will use their facilities. Other local businesses want us there.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There already exists powers to deal with Litter and abuse of facility. What does not exist is enforcement of said powers on individuals committing such abuses. As far as Bureaucracy is concerned They always go for the "Easy Option" which 99% equates to the blanket ban, Councillors are elected, and per-Se listen to their most vociferous members of said electorate, most often those with the vested interest. The permanent employee officers "advise" BUT are rarely overridden by the elected councillors. If you read council minuets 90% of business is approved, most is decided in closed committee. "You scratch my back, I`ll scratch yours".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
SBC HATE motorhomers they will try anything to get you on a campsite, they banned overnight parking in Whitby even when people were paying, give several tickets for parking as they were overweight, tiny sign on a post max weight 1500kg.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I might be being thick (answer not required) but if you can park in a car park overnight why can’t you sleep in the vehicle? What difference does it make?
It seems that Spain has the sensible answer with their definition of parking, nothing outside the vehicle, and camping.
It sound like council’s are just being awkward.
Never understood the logic.

Richard.
Probably because the carpark would need an official campsite licence and if granted would be permenantly full of vans and nowhere for visitors to park.
Hardly surprising councils make by-laws forbidding it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That may be Graham, but it is a fact that the greater majority (of disabled) struggle at the lower financial end of the scale, and get far less assistance than those straight off the boat!. The guy I helped could not reach the ticket machine, it having been placed too high to access from his wheelchair. Dumb dickheads in council offices don`t think beyond the next tea break. The only machine I have come across was placed (at no doubt great expense to the local tax payers) with a ramp and plinth for disabled access, with no barrier to stop a chair accidentally going off the edge either. (Driffield Market BTW). There is one somewhere, in the West Riding if think it was, where they actually placed a machine low down, it was as far away from the disabled bays as it was possible to get!. For the relatively small revenue that comes from genuine disabled, There is IMV NO case for levying a further tax on disability.

Those who think otherwise, should try a few weeks in a wheelchair. It`s the old "walk a mile in his shoes" before you make rash statements.
I agree that the machine should have been more accessible because it demonstrates a lack of thinking about the big picture. However, your "Dumb dickheads in council offices" statement merely confirms your oft stated prejudice against council officers.
It is also the case that many disabilities do not involve use of a wheelchair and many blue badge holders do not use a wheelchair. Given that failure of the post to recognise that also demonstrates a lack of thought about the big picture would it also qualify as a dumb dickhead not thinking beyond the next tea break?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
SBC HATE motorhomers they will try anything to get you on a campsite, they banned overnight parking in Whitby even when people were paying, give several tickets for parking as they were overweight, tiny sign on a post max weight 1500kg.
Because camping was against the regulations.
As posted many times, it is the TRO that matters not the sign (which cannot hope to be large enough to quote the whole of the TRO).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
SBC are not wary, I believe its more to do with either family or friends having interests in camp sites or the local camp site and hoteliers using threatening lobbying tactics in belief that if motorhomers cant park we will use their facilities. Other local businesses want us there.
Utter rubbish. Again something posted many times is that Scarborough has long had a local planning regulation which prevents the opening of camping and caravan sites within a stated distance of the town centre. Several applications from private companies/individuals have been turned down as a result. To allow camping in their car parks would probably result in some of those companies/individuals taking legal action.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
prejudice against council officers.
You bet!. Have yet to meet one that has any conception of common sense!. Currently they are procrastinating locally over a blatant ABUSE of planning regulation, Re a "traveller" site. The answer being in their hands, eg. Enforcement. Even our local MP has expressed frustration. We can/could get rid of incompetent councillors. But the Dickheads are seemingly bullet proof!.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You bet!. Have yet to meet one that has any conception of common sense!. Currently they are procrastinating locally over a blatant ABUSE of planning regulation, Re a "traveller" site. The answer being in their hands, eg. Enforcement. Even our local MP has expressed frustration. We can/could get rid of incompetent councillors. But the Dickheads are seemingly bullet proof!.
Thank you for confirming that your posts on this matter are based on prejudice rather than fact :giggle:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I thought everyone was aware what rubbish Strangeway spouts by now.
This was the original story which (as pointed out yesterday) was a mischievous suggestion by an opposition councillor who knew it had no chance of happening. It was mentioned in This Thread at the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back