Scandinavia (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Toe dipping into road trip next summer , checking out on line , but is there any tips for ferry crossings Sweden to Finland i.e. Cheaper if travelling at certain times / days etc also the bridge crossing Denmark to Sweden . Many thax

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi, I've only taken a van to norway couple times.. first time there was still a ferry link to gothenburg via kristiansand from the tyne , but the second time it was again a ferry from newcastle to amsterdam... then a drive through netherlands , germany and denmark.. from denmark i chose a ferry from hirtshals to kristiansand, rather than take the route through sweden.. but my destination was norway.. so that suited me better
next year i may take the route through sweden , finland and into northern norway returning down the coast taking in the lofoten islands...
if you give some idea of your destinations folk will be able to advise you of options.. I'm not sure why you would be wanting to take a ferry from sweden to finland, id be driving it but thats what i mean... a bit more info on your planed route and someone will be along with advice..
andy..

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Watching replies with interest, as at some point in the next year or so I want to travel to the top end of Norway to see the Northern Lights and likely to be crossing from Newcastle - IJmuiden.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Watching replies with interest, as at some point in the next year or so I want to travel to the top end of Norway to see the Northern Lights and likely to be crossing from Newcastle - IJmuiden.

I think they reckon the best chance and time for the lights is sort of September to around March. . I'd love to be up in northern Scandinavian to see them...
You do get some pretty good shows (judging by pictures I've seen ) from Scotland and the northern islands...
The best I've seen would be from the Northumberland beaches while fishing... even from Marsden beach one night :)
And I know you will know where I'm on about lol..
Andy

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
And I know you will know where I'm on about :LOL:..
Andy
Marsden ?.... Never heard of it, I know nothing :xgrin:

Virtually every weekend of my youth was spent in a touring caravan at 'The Groyne' site at Shields, before the original road washed away. I kayaked from the little beach, next to the yacht club and would often go out through the piers and turn right to Marsden.

Many years later I ended up buying a bungalow at South Bents and would launch in the bay, in front of the Bay Hotel (before they flattened it) and would turn left to Marsden.

I was also in to Sub Aqua and surfing way back then, so had the best of all worlds.... When the sea was flat, I was under it, when it was rough, I surfed it and when it was wild, I worked the lifeboat down at Roker.

Apart from kayaking, I gave most of the exciting sea stuff up when I moved back inland, but spent the last 20 odd years working around South Tyneside, Gateshead and Mackemland :xThumb:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're planning to do Norway in the summer but we're trekking in Poland first then getting a ferry to Sweden. Driving up through Sweden and then meandering back down Norway, calling at Lofoten on the way.

OP
OP
T
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
hi, I've only taken a van to norway couple times.. first time there was still a ferry link to gothenburg via kristiansand from the tyne , but the second time it was again a ferry from newcastle to amsterdam... then a drive through netherlands , germany and denmark.. from denmark i chose a ferry from hirtshals to kristiansand, rather than take the route through sweden.. but my destination was norway.. so that suited me better
next year i may take the route through sweden , finland and into northern norway returning down the coast taking in the lofoten islands...
if you give some idea of your destinations folk will be able to advise you of options.. I'm not sure why you would be wanting to take a ferry from sweden to finland, id be driving it but thats what i mean... a bit more info on your planed route and someone will be along with advice..
andy..
Many thax , thinking of ferry because of time ? Have you estimated driving time up thru Sweden into Finland

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi TG, just caught the thread,yes there is ferry to and from Finland, there is ferrys from Stockholm and Umeå, but if you google you will find out the best and cheapest route,regards AlfandM

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi again malmo to Haparanda is around 1900km

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Too many options to offer any really useful help.
If time is your largest factor - then go up through Germany and ferry direct to Finland - It will save considerable time and allow you to do a circuit back through Sweden and /or Norway. There again though if you book return at same time you can often save on costs - so simply visiting Finland is a good option?
As Alf & M has said Umea - Vassa is a different option to usual routes but we have found in the past no cheaper than going over from Stockholm to Turku.

OP
OP
T
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Many thax for the info from you all , yes will do research but any more info most gratefully received .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back