EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
We get a ton of threads from sun seekers heading to France and Spain but what about folk that go the other way into the Scandinavian countries.

We quite fancy Denmark, Norway and Sweden for our first big trip next year.

So anyone been that way, recommendations on places to stay? Any weird rules for that neck of the woods and if you have some images, be great to see them .

C

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
@Our Bumble have a brilliant blog and they have been up that way. Try a search for her post and there is a link in her signature to the blog.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Great place to visit and do not be put off by thinking it is expensive. The UK is a more expensive place to motorhome.

We spent 10 days there and wild camped for 9 of them. Service points are frequent. Speeds are slow as you keep stopping to take pictures.

We enjoyed Rykan power station museum - the stories of the resistances effort to destroy Hitler's heavy water supplies and of workers rights. It is also the town that receives sun via mirrors for 6 months of the year.

If you fish take your rod as we caught enough mackerel to feed us for the time we were there.
Also loved Pulpit Rock although the walk up is a bit of a procession due to its popularity.

Enjoy your travels.
Kia Kaha
tony

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Only one word necessary.

Go.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Even our winters are doable with the right MH, and Autumn are second to none really vibrant colours, so come on up and if any members are around our neck of the woods ,there's always a brew going and some of the home brew,regards AlfandM

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Only one word necessary.

Go.
Now I'm back on the laptop rather than the phone I ought to expand on that a bit.

We are just back from a six week trip, with the bulk of the time spent in Sweden. We didn't see quite as many different things as you might expect from six weeks of touring, because I worked for three days each week (from a different place each time), then had a four day weekend to explore.

It wasn't our first time in Sweden, but the first time we had taken the van.

There are quite a few similarities to touring Scotland. The scenery is always good, often spectacular. You have to be prepared for the weather to be changeable - you can't have lush green scenery anywhere in the world without the rainfall to go with it. If you appreciate peace & quiet, lakes & forests, you will be in heaven. I'll look out some 'sunset over the lake' photos.

Plenty of places to stay, whether you want campsites, stopovers or wild camping. We used a mixture of all three & never had a problem finding somewhere we were happy to stay. Be aware that the campsite season is quite short, so many places are winding down after the end of August & completely closed by the end of September.

If you turn right once over the channel, it helps a lot if you have some knowledge of the local language. If you turn left, no one expects you to speak anything other than English, no matter where you have come from. At one place, I asked if we could speak in English; we did & at the end of the conversation it became apparent that she thought I was from Germany!

Every single person we met was friendly & helpful. OH has a Swedish electric wheelchair which broke down after a trip through what looked like a shallow puddle, but turned out to be a large water filled pothole. We called in at the factory where it was made & they fixed it for free so we could carry on for the last three weeks of the trip. Ok, it probably helped that they had just build us a new wheelchair which was by then at the dealer's premises in England awaiting our return, but they were genuinely pleased to be able to help & sent us away with various spares & other freebies.

In short, we loved it & will return (& not just to see the grandchildren).

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are planning our first tip to that region starting March 2017 plan to get to Artic circle if possible we are allowing three months to do it with our friends who have been before. Really looking forward to it must get some warmth over winter in Spain first though.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
20160815_204258.jpg
I'll look out some 'sunset over the lake' photos.

20160826_105817.jpg
20160826_105405.jpg
20160824_202907.jpg

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
view from our pitch in Denmark
image.jpeg

@Speve Alan I can post you a hard copy of the guide if you would like it

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
A Scandi trip is on our 'to do' list once we get going. I love swimming (preferably without a wetsuit), and those lakes look gorgeous, any idea what the water temperatures are like? You'd assume they would be quite chilly, but with all that daylight in the summer months I could be wrong.

Andy

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We went in June and the water was lovely and refreshing without a wetsuit!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I love swimming (preferably without a wetsuit), and those lakes look gorgeous, any idea what the water temperatures are like?
Felt a bit chilly to me by the end of August, but it didn't seem to be putting people off. Those pontoons you see from my van window are for swimming off, not for tying boats to. They were getting plenty of use during the day. I would think mid-June to mid-August would be the time to go if you want to the water to be warm.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Thats brilliant, thanks folks.
A lot to sift through here so I will dive in when I get a moment.

Cheers all

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
We get a ton of threads from sun seekers heading to France and Spain but what about folk that go the other way into the Scandinavian countries.

We quite fancy Denmark, Norway and Sweden for our first big trip next year.

So anyone been that way, recommendations on places to stay? Any weird rules for that neck of the woods and if you have some images, be great to see them .

C
A Great choice Enjoy.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Recommendation for Norway is route 17 up to the Lofoten islands (ferry from Bodo). The Lofoton islands, Probably one of the most unspoilt places in Europe, and a campers paradise (outside of July August) . Upwards is one of the last true wildernesses of europe to Nordkapp. Then you can go down through Finland and wildcamp next to lakes and rivers and have the right to fish boat and swim in all of them !

I like a few parts of Sweden but you have to be choosy, parts of the north are mined for iron ore and the southern cities are crowded with a lot of migrants hanging about Stockholm.

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
we have put lots of places to stay and plaes to see on our blog.
www.eamlesstravels.com

This includes how to buy the best cheese in the world, where to spot killer whales and how to get vheap ferry fares. maps and ehere to get eater nd camp for free in Scandinavia, finland and the Baltics. Enjoy

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi @carhil, sorry for the delay in replying to your post but struggled with wifi of late. We spent 4 months in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland and in a nutshell, it was excellent. We were very cautious about the costs and expected everything to be expensive but on the whole it isn't too bad. If you eat and drink out then yes, you will need a second mortgage but if you enjoy 'camper' life with bbq's etc then its no more expensive than the UK.

Here are our links if it helps but please feel free to ask anything.
Denmark - The beaches are amazing....Link Removed
Sweden - didn't spend as much time here as we planned but will be going back for sure...Link Removed
Norway - love every single day and the Lofotens a real wow... http://ourbumble.com/country/norway/
Finland - probably the least fav but mainly due to volume of mosquitos...Link Removed

Joanne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back