LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
WOW that was a big read, great write up and photos.

Pleased that the Flair is looking after you but it needs a wash next time it rains.

Martin[/QUOTE

We have more unsealed roads to go on so will leave the cleaning until we park at our fresh water lake spot we don't want to abuse our free fresh water situation.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just found out we are famous and in the local rag - here's the link - hope it works. Look under heading of Tilskuere pĂĄ plass ( spectators). You'll have to do a translation though. http://www.innherred.no/sport/article11407667.ece

Here's the translation -
Spectators in place

The first spectators have already arrived. Two campers from England is in place.

- The Englishmen have been and seen in two competitions in Sweden before they've taken the trip to Levanger to leave with the competition here, says Morten Okkenhaug Haug.

Children under 12 will otherwise enter for free at the event.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Great thread really interesting we are planning to do some thing similar next year with our friends who did it five years ago,hope we enjoy as much as you seem to be good luck and keep posting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
This just popped up from a like on a post I made earlier on ,I'd lost track of it and it seems someone's had a great Summer !
I've just spent around the last half hour reading about a great trip with photos to match that have quite simply blown me away .Stunning scenery and great fishing it's one one trip that I Will do .
It's one of the best threads I've ever read and I think I nearly enjoyed it as much as you did .

Vlad .

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Vlad, just read your post, thank you very much for your lovely comments, however, it is not quite finished, I have just written our last post on this thread and it is following this post. I would say if anyone is able to do such a trip it is a must. Sweden and Norway are so easy to travel in, especially for motorhomers. If anyone wants further info. on them, please do not hesitate to message us, we would be more than happy to give advice. We will be marshalling the Adventure Overland Show at Stratford (see thread on here), so if you want to see more pictures or ask any questions, visit us there.

Nigel, Pamala and Garry

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
OUR FINAL DAYS IN SWEDEN - BOOHOO

After the tractor pull we decided to leave for Norway, we worked out we had enough days left that we could spend at a spot we found two years ago and fell in love with it. After filling up with the cheap lpg in Norway and fuel, we headed once more for the Wilderness Road via Gaddede. In Gaddede we stocked up with groceries and then headed once more to Sweden’s largest waterfall. We saw it two years ago, fabulous, so decided to give it another look. Not disappointed. But to get to it we had to travel a dirt road and boy was it rough this time. We took it slowly to our spot and we were hoping that other FLT’s had not found it, thankfully the space was all ours. We both parked up so that we had a good view of the lake, put the awnings out and made ourselves at home.

We spent a whole week there, unfortunately, we were unable to fish there due to it being near the hydro power station, not visible from our spot. We cooked on the wood stove for the whole week, and boiled water for the showers on it in a big kettle that we were given by a guy we met at one of the tractor pulls using the pure clean water from the lake. We also caught up with the washing once more. The weather was more than perfect, for the whole week we had wall to wall sunshine, with at times being a bit uncomfortable to sit out in, so under the awnings it was. We were not too bothered by the mosquitoes this time, but there were some big flying things that got on our pip, but we put up with them as we love our spot so much.

A couple of days before we left we were visited by a Norwegian guy and his hunting dogs. He had come over for the bear hunting season which starts on 20th August. By all accounts he owns land and a mountain about 60 miles from there (in Sweden). He told us that at 6 a.m. the next day he was going to shoot a bear that was on his property. We asked if the bear would be used for meat and he said only for the dogs, he was doing it for sport. There was an organised cull and 60 bears were to be shot in that region. We were a bit upset that from our point of view there was no sport in it as he showed us pictures he had of the bear in question that had been taken by cameras placed on his property and they were sent back to his computer. So he knew exactly where and when that bear would be. We realise that there must be a cull, but call that sport, we don’t think so. The moose shooting season starts this Monday, we saw lots of people travelling with quads in trailers heading north, now we know why.

We decided to drive the inland roads of the Wilderness route as to us, it was not Wilderness anymore. We bought fishing licences to do a bit more fishing, but the lakes that were allowed on the fishing licence, some were inaccessible by road and others were full of weed or too shallow, so a bit of a waste of time and money. We did head to one and hoped it would be suitable, drove for about 100 miles into the interior of the Wilderness route only to find it too shallow as well. Whilst there we had lunch and during that time a helicopter arrived out of nowhere. There were a few cars parked around, us thinking it was for the bear hunting, which it seemed was correct and the helicopter only came and picked up another Norwegian and his partner, all their camping gear and hunting dog, plus three, sacks of wood, yes I did have a nosey at what they were loading. They flew off into the distance, looks as though they were on their way into the wilds to do a bit of bear hunting too.

We were hoping to stay there the night but decided to head on, had seen some nice camping spots on the way, so back south we went and ended up on some dirt roads that lead us into the real wilderness, the type of place we were looking for. However, as we had another week left before heading back to Alfs’ we decided to go back to a camping spot at Gubbhogen, where we knew we could fish. We had purchased a couple of containers of worms for fishing back in Gaddede and thought we better use them rather than leave them in the fridge and bring them back to England. Might get stopped at customs for importing foreign wildlife. We set up camp, put the awnings out and thankfully we did as the next day it rained, but it was still warm enough to sit outside. We have been blessed with the weather on this trip, we knew we couldn’t expect 3 months without rain, so a day here and there did not phase us. It rained again the next day, however it did not stop the guys fishing, they tried in between the spells of rain. However this time, there didn’t seem to be so many fish, well they weren’t catching them, maybe they didn’t like the Swedish worms, the English ones must have been better. Both of them caught a pike, not too big, but both times it got away, not sure if it was the same one, I’m thankful for that as I don’t know if I would like to have prepared and cooked it. It did turn cooler, it seemed as though the summer switch had been turned off. The campsite was closing at the end of August, so it was time for us to say goodbye to that campsite, knowing that we will, God willing, hopefully be back some day.

We had about 100 miles to go to get to Alf’s to say our farewells, we arrived a day earlier than planned. We stayed near their local town at a picnic spot right by a river. We rang them to say where we were and would we be allowed to fish in this river without a licence, the answer was no, but they would buy one for us on their way to come down and visit. The guys spent all evening fishing and caught nothing but a few tiddlers. The next morning before stocking up at the local shop we headed off to stay at Alf and Mariannes place for the night and were treated to a lovely meal that evening out on their covered verandah. During the meal we,had trouble hearing each other talk, as the rain came down in bucket fulls, the thunder and lightning joined in too. But we made the most of it and enjoyed our skinky very much - our nickname for (Flinterstek - marinated pork). We thought we only had 5 days left before our ferry left Gothenberg so we headed off on Tuesday after a lovely meal in a restaurant beside a Thai Pavilion, said our goodbyes to our Swedish Motorhome Fun family, and went on our way. When we looked at our tickets, we found we had 6 days left and not the five so we had more time to make our way south. The first night we headed for a picnic spot we saw on the journey up to theirs, but couldn’t find it, however we found another superb one right beside a lake again. We decided to use up the worms once more and purchased a licence from the local garage. Both guys were out til late fishing and still nothing, you would think they would have got the message by then. We were going to try again the next morning, and if no luck were going to head off to another spot, but someone or something came along in the night and took the container of worms off the table. What a bummer. If it was something, it must have been quite big to have lifted them off the table, there was no sign of the container or the contents on the ground. It was a bit spooky really to think where they might have gone while we were asleep. So that was the end of the fishing for this trip. We got onto the E45 and headed south to try and find the spot we were looking for, eventually found it and what a lovely place to camp, shame we didn’t have more time, but it is definitely on our list for our next trip. It was also a shame that it was still raining, it would be such a beautiful place when the sun is shining. We spent the afternoon making bread, the three of us kneading away, three loaves in total, and then some cakes later on in the evening, oven on keeping us warm. Hot bread, just out of the oven, with some lovely raspberry and blueberry jam on, yumyum!

We wanted to do some shopping as we wanted to take some skinky back to England, tried to park at Lidl’s but not enough space as it was in the town centre, so thought we would hunt for a Lidl in another town on the way south. We were not having much success at getting the skinky, found out that it is only usually stocked for the summer season for BBQ’s, being end of summer, we thought we would have to go home without any.

One night wild camping left in Sweden before heading for Gothenberg, found a spot by a fast running river, picnic tables, the lot. Had a good view of the fishermen trying their luck at catching salmon. Garry spotted one of them catch a huge one, then we all saw another catch one, but it got off, gave up a good fight, I can tell you, I bet he was pig sick about that. Looked on internet for more Lidl’s on our way down, to try our luck once more. Found one only 16 miles from ferry, but none in stock. Filled up with diesel at same spot and noticed a big ICA supermarket, let’s give that a go. Whahey we were in luck, we got em, dearer than in Lidl, but heyho, we got enough to take back to UK.

So here we are 16 miles to the ferry terminal, had a McDonalds (yes one of those here as well), want to finish this post in time to send it via my 3 mifi. Our plan is to head to the port at around 10 p.m. hoping they will let us sleep at the terminal til our ferry leaves for Frederikshavn tomorrow morning at 9.10 a.m,.
So it’s goodbye for now. See if I have time to download some more pictures for you. It’s the end of this part of our journey but not our last. We have had a fantastic time and it’s been a pleasant experience and we are impressed with our N+B Flair, it’s first trip for us, it’s done us proud. Garry’s Frankia has been equally impressive, both taking us on some of the smallest of tracks you could imagine, not for the faint hearted, and we have a few more scratches than we started with.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Here are the latest bunch of pictures that have been quickly chosen as we are soon off to the ferry. More to follow, probably tomorrow now.

Attachments

• SWEDEN PART TWO - F 002.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 002.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 43
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 042.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 042.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 41
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 043.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 043.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 42
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 048.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 048.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 41
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 071.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 071.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 43
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 121.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 121.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 41
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 128.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 128.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 40
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 129.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 129.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 40
  • SWEDEN PART TWO - F 033.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO - F 033.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 41

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Fantastick thread you should be in the tourist industry and the photo,s give Sweden true justice!!! ,don,t forget if you get to HOT down in Portugal this winter,there's a place we know that can fit those MHs at and we can get some ice fishing in,specialy Nigel now you have joined the club with a pimpling Rod like Garrys(y), Happy and safe travels Guy's Gal's & not forgetting Zippy,Happy Skinky cooking(y)Alf Marianne Bamse & Mirrormons.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Wow! Just stumbled across this thread. I'd like to mention that it was @Sundowners previous trip to Scandanavia that inspired us to go there last year.

Norway and Sweden are truly beautiful and awe inspiring countries to visit. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip and have to say that Norway (particularly) is still the best place we have ever been in our lives. (I do feel another trip coming on ;) )

Oh, also @Sundowners and @flatpackchicken got us into fishing too:D

Thanks for some lovely posts and piccies @Sundowners (y)(y)

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
As promised here are some more pictures - sorry if some seem to be repeated, but the colours at different times of the day changes them completely. You'll see one with the washing machine in use and even Garry getting his hair cut and one of our meals cooking on the wood stove. And not forgetting one of Garry ready for combat with the mozzies.

Sited at an aire in Denmark this evening, after having a good crossing from Gothenberg, even though it was a bit choppy at times. Thought at one time, I was going to give them back the lunch I bought. The sun has been shining today and it was quite warm on the 150 miles we did this afternoon driving south. Got 210 miles to do tomorrow to our next stop and then 375 left to Menen in Belgium where we have an appointment to have our fabric replaced on our awning by Thule (Omnistor). Thought it might be cheaper to get it done here with the good exchange rates at the moment.

Attachments

• SWEDEN PART TWO -G 046.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 046.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 40
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 052.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 052.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 39
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 129.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 129.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 39
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 130.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 130.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 39
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 147.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 147.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 39
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 174.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 174.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 39
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 176.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 176.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 41
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 209.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 209.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 39
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 221.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 221.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 40
  • SWEDEN PART TWO -G 244.JPG
    SWEDEN PART TWO -G 244.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 39

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thanks again for a great post ,just a couple of questions please .
Did you take the woodburning stove with you or buy it over there ?
If you took it with you where did you get it ?
Fits in with the surroundings so well it would have been a crime to take a picture that had a Cadac or the likes in it !

Vlad

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We purchased the stove from the Adventure Overland Show last year, we are marshalling it again this year. We want to buy a couple of extra bits for it this year, such as spark arrester and a bended flue part so that we can use it in our awning. Here is a link Broken Link Removed There are others on the market such as OZ pig, all of which are for sale at the show. It did us proud, so pleased we had it, especially as wood is so freely available everywhere in Sweden.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have only just got round to reading your thread in it's entirety.
Absolutely superb and has whetted the appetite for a future trip. Took the kids to Denmark many years ago via the just opened up East Germany. Had a Danish friend who showed us some lovely parts of his area.
You have brought back thoughts of that visit.
Great photos and a well told story. Many thanks.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Marianne say's on the photo when cooking on the wood stove looks real homely thanks for the photos and enjoy the overland show ,cheers Alf&Marianneandthe kids(y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Great read and photographs, must say your the only people we know that have been to Hell and back. ;) :LOL:

And please tell me that Alf has not given Nigel a fishing rod. :eek:

If you get to Portugal we will be there at the end of March, or the Wok challenge before then. :LOL:
Bob and Janie.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A great read and very helpful - just starting to plan a similar trip for next year hopefully right up to Nordkapp.

Just one question - we've just returned from a foreshortened break in Scotland, cut short by the wifes reaction to midgies. We intend to travel to Scandinavia in June/July, prob about 6 weeks, and I've noted on a couple of threads there are mozzies. Are they a problem because I'd hate to travel all that way and then have to turn round and come back?

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
They can be a problem, we found Norway on the coast between Trondheim and Namsos to be free of them. We have been told that taking vitamin b stops them. I have started having a vitamin B12 injection every three months and I was bitten a few times but had no reaction from them this time, so maybe there is some truth in that. So maybe a little search on Google might give you a bit more info. on that.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Wow. Thank you What a wonderful thread. I didn't want it to end. Photos are brilliant and the views are stunning. One day perhaps .........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back