Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
We will be travelling to Norway in May
Denmark, Sweden and Norway all have their own Krona
Does anyone know if they will accept each other’s currency?
And do they accept Euros ?

Geoff

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We will be travelling to Norway in May
Denmark, Sweden and Norway all have their own Krona
Does anyone know if they will accept each other’s currency?
And do they accept Euros ?

Geoff
We are off to Norway and Denmark and I'm not sure about the Euro bit but everything I read seems to suggest paying with plastic even for small amounts of which there will be few and withdraw small amounts of local currency using a fee free card like Revolut, Monzo, Starling or if you happen to have a bank card that doesn't charge abroad. I also have credit cards like the Post Office and Tandem which are fee free abroad for fuel stations as they can be funny about prepaid cards.

You can probably use Euros in the big tourist cities but certainly not elsewhere, I've just googled it!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
They are different Krona and I’ve not found anywhere that you can use them in the “wrong” country.
You would be able to exchange euros in a currency exchange if you can find one but advice in above post is good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
All the Krona's are different and we never found anywhere that would except anybody else's or Euros.

To be fair the cost of any credit card fees will be dwarfed by all the other costs you will have. Fuel, ferries, food..

Oh. Don't get caught speeding, that will really hammer your budget!!

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We went to Scandinavia 2 years ago, as above Krona aren’t interchangeable , we didn’t take a lot of cash in various Krona with us , think about £30 for each country just in case and brought most of it back.

Most places take credit cards even for very small transactions and from what we saw the Scandinavians generally use a card when they are shopping.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I can endorse all of the above. We "did" all three last year and Krona/Kroner all have different exchange rates and not interchangeable. Revolut works well as does the Clarity Card with no foreign transaction fees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Buster30

Free Member
Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
My son lives in Stockholm and nearly everywhere it is card only, even for the smallest purchase, totally cashless

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Denmark & Sweden are in the EU.Norway in the eea. Like the UK they are not in the euro but have to accept it for payment if offered. Change would be local though.
I didn't know that, I can just imagine the chaos if I tried to pay in Euros in my local Co-op. It's almost tempting to try!
I thought it was up to the store owner what they would accept.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Denmark & Sweden are in the EU.Norway in the eea. Like the UK they are not in the euro but have to accept it for payment if offered. Change would be local though.

I don’t think they have to accept euros. We certainly weren’t able to use them in Scandinavia.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back