Scandinavia, and Norway in particular, the start of the queries. (1 Viewer)

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I was wondering about that regarding the treatment myself!

This being a relatively "quiet" day for me, I've been trying to find out as much as I can about all this worming business. The more I read, the more complicated things seem to get, and the more questions I get. As three examples...

1) The Swedish rules are apparently EU rules. So, does that mean if someone takes a dog to say Spain, they have to get it treated in the UK, and have to follow the four rules I mentioned in post #24?

2) The trip will involve a number of border crossings. UK to the Netherlands, Netherlands to Germany, and so on. Does this really mean the dog has to be treated in each country?

3) Norway is not a part of the EU, and from what I can understand, the rules there are slightly different. They do mention that a certain drug has to be used in the treatment, and also something about "every 28 days." Would these rules be accepted in other countries?

Edit: Bailey58 I just saw your post after I posted. When I was looking earlier, I did see that a Norwegian citizen had to have his dog put down after returning from Sweden without the correct paperwork. Dogs are important family members to many, so I hope you are ok if you do as you plan.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
And I wonder just how many worming tablets the dog can cope with?

If you enter Sweden and then Norway within that same 5 days then it should suffice but the wording is open to interpretation. It would be a real jobsworth who ignored the Danish treatment when entering Norway. If we find the Danish vet is reasonable on price we could negotiate a deal for out return trip to the UK.

It worries me that multiple doses of wormer is detrimental to the dog’s health. I spoke to our vet yesterday about Milbimex tapewormer and their adverse effects on Border Collies. She said that it’s ok to use it but to ensure that the dose is correct for the weight of the dog. If a dog has to have multiple doses to cross borders in a short period of time it must have a similar effect to overdosing.

I’ve looked online but can’t find anything specific relating to multiple border crossings. Has anyone got a link?

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My head hurts. Now where's the phone number for the local boarding kennel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Edit: Bailey58 I just saw your post after I posted. When I was looking earlier, I did see that a Norwegian citizen had to have his dog put down after returning from Sweden without the correct paperwork. Dogs are important family members to many, so I hope you are ok if you do as you plan.

I can’t imagine that to be true. If a pet was put down it couldn’t be because he hadn’t been wormed!

The last time we returned to the UK a woman with a collection of dogs was being told at Pet Passport Control that she couldn’t proceed as she hadn’t had them wormed. She was told where to get a hotel (she was travelling by car) and to return when she’d had the necessary worming done.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@DavidG58. Might be able to help as he and Bev took their dog Lola to Scandinavia last year.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I can’t imagine that to be true. If a pet was put down it couldn’t be because he hadn’t been wormed!

I can post a Swedish language link that proves it.

Basically, the owner was given three options. 1) to leave the dog in Sweden. 2) to put it in quarantine (which is expensive) 3) to have it put down. He chose the latter.

Edit: The info I have posted comes from two sources. One is a Swedish language Motorhome magazine, the other the Swedish "Jordbruksverket" their equivalent of the Ministry of Agriculture. Or whatever its called nowadays.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Why not just worm the dog?

I’d be interested in the link by the way... it just sounds ridiculous!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Heres the link:

http://www.husbilhusvagn.se/nyheter/hund-utan-dokument-fick-avlivas-efter-semester

Theres a little bit in Norwegian that mentions the differences in their rules on it also.

Thanks for the link.

As you say, its a motorhome magazine which, as far as I could see, doesn't state where this story originated from.

It reads that the dog was 'discovered' and didn't have a 'document'. It sounds as if he might have been trying to smuggle the dog in without a passport.

I looked on the official website but couldn't find anything relating to the incident there... do you have a link to it please?

Deleted User
Interesting article. Looks like the owner just put the dog in the vehicle and went travelling. No pet passport, no vaccination record, nothing. No wonder the authorities could not take the risk of letting it into the country, they had no idea where the dog came from or its state of health. Site seems to put the rules fairly clearly, good link

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Thanks for the link.

As you say, its a motorhome magazine which, as far as I could see, doesn't state where this story originated from.

It reads that the dog was 'discovered' and didn't have a 'document'. It sounds as if he might have been trying to smuggle the dog in without a passport.

I looked on the official website but couldn't find anything relating to the incident there... do you have a link to it please?

Not sure which link you mean. Is it this one:

https://www.toll.no/no/varer/dyr/reise/

..that links to the norwegian customs? Or this one that links to the Swedish Ministry?

http://www.jordbruksverket.se/amnes...ndarochkatter.4.7dc0fafe14e39f52f4876d56.html

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
She has all those but I wasn't aware of the registration requirements. I wonder how many others are when crossing the bridge etc.?

The registration is linked to residence in Sweden where all dogs have to be so registered. Although

Customs must be notified of the animal’s arrival

The animal must be brought into Sweden via a customs port of entry of your choosing. You must notify customs officials at a Red Point that you are bringing an animal into the country. You can locate the Red Point by following the red walkway or line in the customs area. Once there, contact a customs officer. More information is available at the website of the Swedish Customs Service.

Do not get confused over the worm tablet. This is an advisory point regarding the general health of the dog. The only requirement is 1. Chip, 2 Passport 3 Rabies jab.

As mentioned before, Norway requires the worm treatment upon entry as does the UK. This is near impossible to police along the land border. If entering from Denmark on the ferry I imagine you are checked. You will have to ask others who travelled with dogs on this route to confirm. When we travelled we crossed from Germany (Rostock) to Malmo (Sweden) on the ferry. On that trip the dog was declared but no control/check undertaken.

Other than the dogs hope your planning is going well. We visited May/June 2015 outstanding trip.

Have a look at this blog. http://wolfydoesscandawegia.blogspot.co.uk A great amount of information as to the route taken and places visited so you can dip in and dip out whatever you need.
If you have any specific planning questions happy to give my two pence worth from our time visiting.
I have various costings of ferry crossings using a 9M van if you would like them to give you some idea.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back