Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Hi,:Smile:

We are planning a trip to Scandinavia in the summer. So far we have only got as far as Belgium in our Motorhome (Percy) and feel a bit nervous about our planned adventure.
Is there anyone who has been to Scandinavia and could give us some advice or tips?
We'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.
Alison and Jeff.:Smile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We spent a couple of months travelling around Scandinavia last summer and loved it so much we are planning a return trip this August and September.

Don't know how to do a link but we did quite a big write up on our trip. Maybe someone will read this and do it for us.

We took a ferry from Travemunde in Germany to Malmo in south of Sweden, we found this to be the most economical route. It's a 9 hour crossing and we paid €103.00 for the outward bound sailing and €78.00 for the return. It would be cheaper to do a return but we had not intended to return the same way. You will also get a discount if you join Key Camping Europe - we believe it was a 15% discount only when you ring and book with Finnlines.

We had been to Denmark before so missed that out. For us going from Denmark to Sweden was out of the question, the bridge crossing alone was €190 one way as we are over 3.5 tonnes and have duals on the rear.

We found Sweden in particular to be so camper friendly. You are allowed to camp anywhere as long as it is 90 metres away from a house. It is called 'Everymans Right'. There are plenty of places to dump your cassette and water is available at any garage, free of charge. Cost of living we found was on a par with England - this is Sweden of course - but Norway is a different kettle of fish. We found it to be so expensive, so when we were in the north of Norway, we popped over the border into Finland or Sweden on more than one occasion, topped up with supplies including fuel, then continued our journey in Norway.

We went to the North Cape and then over to the Russian border at Kirkenes, but this time we are staying south of the Arctic Circle and chilling out by some river or lake. We are travelling later in the year than last as the mozzies were a bit of a problem and we have been told they are not so bad in Aug/Sept, time will tell.

We love the countryside, forest, lakes, nature, mountains etc. - we don't do cities, so you may find it a bit different from us, this is our take on the country.

If you need any more info. please don't hesitate to ask.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
P
Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for that, I'd heard that Norway was very expensive and also didn't realise the bridge was so expensive. We hadn't thought about a ferry from Germany, so that is worth considering, as like you we have been to Denmark and to be honest I didn't think much of the scenery!

We may get back to you with more questions. You obviously enjoyed it if you are going again!
Thanks again.
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Sweden is part of the 2015 plan, so will be keen to pick your brains after your next trip.

We have family in Gothenburg, so will probably go up the west coast to visit them, calling at daughter-in-law's parents near Halmstad on the way, then head north-east to Stockholm, returning either down the middle or down the west coast if time permits.

It's a shame the Newcastle-Gothenburg ferry doesn't run any more. It would have been perfect for us, as time will probably be limited.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We went to Jonkopping (Sweden) for a wedding and loved the MH experience there. Everyone very friendly and welcoming and roads empty. The Swedes are very proud of their country and it is very clean and everyone speaks English. Cost of living (apart from alcohol) on a par with here. We did the Harwich to Esberg 21 hr crossing which was horrendously rough - if we went again we would do another route as it was a very uncomfortable experience! Although the journey through Denmark and across the bridges towards Malmo was a real experience but very expensive. We basically drove up through the middle of Sweden and down the west coast which is loads of small islands and very attractive. Would be happy to answer any specific questions - we are hoping to return there in 2015.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've driven up the southern part of the west coast, but only as far as Falkenberg, so not really far enough north for the islands. That was by car, rather than motorhome & was driving to get there, without time to explore much (also a wedding).

Only been to Gothenburg by air, so only seen the coastline up there from above, but that's quite spectacular!

Was the E4 Malmo - Jonkopping route a bit boring by comparison with the return down the coast?

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
There you go Nigel

Sundowners wrote a great item about his trip to Scandinavia made in 2013 (click here)

He is very good in describing things so i am sure you will find some nice ideas in his thread

We also made a few entries about traveling in Scandinavia and this one might be of interest to you too (its dated 2009 so prices have changed, but the general idea didnt of course) Click here

Hope this is a good starter for you Jeff and Alison

Paul and Ineke

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi some great advice given by previous threads,and the sundowners trip blog is well worth a read,if you feel in any need for information not covered for you, We will be pleased to help if needed and can ,we live up in the middle of Sweden just send a PM ,Regards Alf.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Scandinavia has some of the best 'free camping' we have ever come across.

Price wise Denmark and Sweden is not too bad (think shopping in Lidl but paying Waitrose prices!) but Norway is extortionate and so my advice if you are on a tight budget is to pack food as if you was going to the moon!

Our route was a lot of costal Denmark, Copenhagen to Malmo (Sweden) over the bridge - 80 euro is over 6m, half that if under. Up to Gothenburg, across to Stockholm (best city in Europe, there is a campsite there) and then back over to Norway, Oslo and then up towards to Fjords. It will take you 2 days driving to get to Nordkapp, so consider if its worth it (you might just see clouds, but if not its amazing).

Finland was a lot of trees for us, but it opens up possibilities such as a visa free trip to St Petersburg (leave the van on site) or a boat to Tallinn Estonia and an easy drive back to Germany, stopping at Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius (all have city camps and are an easy days drive between each other).

Hope that helps!

Denmark: http://www.europebycamper.com/search/label/Denmark
Sweden: http://www.europebycamper.com/search/label/Sweden
Norway: http://www.europebycamper.com/search/label/Norway
Finland: http://www.europebycamper.com/search/label/Finland

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
I've driven up the southern part of the west coast, but only as far as Falkenberg, so not really far enough north for the islands. That was by car, rather than motorhome & was driving to get there, without time to explore much (also a wedding).

Only been to Gothenburg by air, so only seen the coastline up there from above, but that's quite spectacular!

Was the E4 Malmo - Jonkopping route a bit boring by comparison with the return down the coast?

Well I suppose you could say that - lots of roads lined with forests and a lot of firs! but if you go a bit of the road you see lovely lakes with sandy beaches lined with red roofed Swedish holiday homes (loads of opportunity to wild camp). We loved it and were captivated by the fact that everything was so neat and tidy (especially the farms) and the lakes and surrounds so beautiful - so wouldnt have missed the trip from Malmo to Jonkopping - which is also a lovely city. I can sum it up by the fact that when we arrived at the wedding venue, the bride to be who is Swedish said to us "and what do you think of my country?" - can you imagine anyone saying that in UK? They are very proud of the place.

OP
OP
P
Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Thanks

:Smile:Thanks to everyone who has replied to my plea for advice on Scandinavia.
It certainly sounds to be motorhome friendly and the fact tht so many of you have done by motorhome gives me a bit more confidence to try it.
Now to decide on which route to take and which ferry to book.

These smileys are fun by the way!:RollEyes:
:Smile:

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hj Percy,

We went to Scandinavia last year and had a fantastic time. Route was Germany, Denmark (Copenhagen - we thought it was a wonderful city: stayed at the Citycamp, looked after by the wonderful Finn (his name, not nationality)) Then crossed the Oresund bridge to Malmo before travelling to Stockholm. Again, a great city. Would agree with what others have said about friendly people, ease of camping and prices.

We then went north to cross the border into Norway. Now, Sweden is an attractive country, no question, but Norway is something else again. Absolutely stunning, almost from top to bottom. We went as far north as Bodo, north of the Arctic Circle, and enjoyed the experience of wandering about at midnight in broad daylight.

Then made our way south along the coast towards the fjords, popped in at Bergen, then on to Oslo (bit dull, really) Then by ferry to Hirtshalls in Denmark before driving back through Germany. Did it all in just over two weeks. Not long enough really, and would like to go back when we have saved up again.

Norway is expensive, no question, but in our view worth every penny. It's easy to smuggle wine and beer across the border - no sign of customs, and rarely saw a policeman during the whole trip.

Just do it - you won't regret it.

Mike

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Went on a road trip to North Cape a few years back and agree with all that is said about Norway,expensive yes but stunning especially in the North. The mountains ad Fjords are just breathtaking.
The only problem we encountered was a run in with local plod in the far North. A whizz through a radar check that was hidden over a blind hill caused a fine of £780.00 to be incurred. That was for 20 mph over the limit, the guy was in the middle of nowhere and just waiting to trap someone. They chased the payment through UK debt collectors so it had to be paid in the end,:cry:
The alternative offered to a fine was to spend 7-14 days in prison.
They take their traffic laws seriously up there!!
Would I go back,yes no problem but next time I would be sure to keep to their speed limits at all times.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi all , reading this thread with interest also. last summer I took the Amsterdam ferry from, Newcastle and made it into southern Norway by way of Netherlands, Germany , Denmark and ferry from hirtshall to Kristiansand. I have a sister lives in Norway so the touring was broken up with a couple of stopovers with them. I visit Norway frequently and agree about the cost but fuel and food are getting on par with us.
there are more and more automatic tool stations on the Norwegian roads now , certainly in the south anyway and the bills for 2wks touring did land eventually but were not too bad.:cry:
stopping on campsites was not cheap but in high season the price was silly as I found out at a site just outside kristiansand on my journey back to catch ferry home.
I love Norway and hope to return, and travel further north and take in Sweden (after reading some of the comments about it in this thread )
during my trip last summer I didn't see another british van after leaving Amsterdam until I returned there about a month later, so be warned if you travel alone it can get lonely .I found that its only in the cities and towns that you meet people who speak English and most of my time was spent in the country.
that will do for now::bigsmile:::bigsmile: ta andy

B]

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Alison , jeff, the picture is of the pulpit rock (preikestolen ). its over Stavanger way on one of the fjords... its sort of one of the classic tourist shots of Norway and worth the hike if you are ever that way.
the other end of the fjord has an equally impressive sight, a large boulder jammed in a crack in the rock , which some people actually climb on to.
I think its about 600m to the fjord below :Eeek:.
the day I visited the weather turned in the afternoon and as it was a fair hike to get there I gave it a miss until my next visit.
heres another nice one from top of mount gusta in telemark.

Broken Link Removed

regards andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
here is what im on about , if the link works. :roflmto:

Broken Link Removed

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We went to Sweden a few years ago, taking in Denmark. What to see has been well covered here but our Outward and Return routes were quite different.

Outwards we travelled from Harwich to Esjberg and then drove to Frederikshavn and took the ferry to Gothenburg (stayed the night before just outside Fredrikshavn). We did our Sweden bit and loved it.
Our return was across the Malmo bridge/tunnel (about €70 if I remember correctly), did a bit of exploration around Denmark then took the ferry from Rodby to Puttgarden and made our way to Groningen then across the Afsluidijk (shame about the weather), down to Hook of Holland and back to Harwich.

Not claiming that our route was better, just different from those mentioned so far.

Have a great time, whatever you choose. :thumb:

John

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi john, that's the route i took back into Amsterdam to have a look at the sea defence work. was well impressed with it . the booklet I got from the tourist shop also showed some pictures of some equally impressive engineering feats further south to keep the sea out, which I intend to go look at on another trip...did you look at them ?

regards andy

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
hi john, that's the route i took back into Amsterdam to have a look at the sea defence work. was well impressed with it . the booklet I got from the tourist shop also showed some pictures of some equally impressive engineering feats further south to keep the sea out, which I intend to go look at on another trip...did you look at them ?

regards andy

Andy,
Sorry for delay - got a bit sidetracked :Doh:.

No I didn't explore that aspect of Holland. We went across Afsluidijk mainly for the unusual idea of being surrounded by water for mile after mile. Trouble is the weather was horrible and couldn't see much more than half a mile out to sea (or meer come to that). But it's certainly an awesome structure.
A later trip to the Netherlands we went across Houtribdijk towards the Hoorn side. That was much more interesting and pleasant weather as well. A couple of days later we stopped outside Amsterdam (not far from a railway station) and spent a few days exploring the city. Would like to do that again sometime.

Have Fun

John

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Andy

You referred to Sea Defenses further south in Holland.

Do you mean the Delta works

or is it the Maasvlakte with The Keringhuis which is the Storm Surge Barrier to safeguard sea flooding of the area around Rotterdam.

If you want information about these two, we live nearby so ask if you want something

Paul and Ineke

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back