Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I have advertized the Hymer on ebay, "sold" last night, buyer wants copy of all 4 pages of V5 so she can apply for a carloan, said the carloan people needed it. Hasn't paid a deposit as asked, and not repklied to 2 emails. What do you think? Am I right to be wary?
T.I.A. for replies/advice.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:
ps, I don't know how these carloan people work, do you? I don;t think it's a logbook loan.

Also thought you are able to pay for an item you win on ebay?

Last edited:

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Would definitely be wary!!! Personally I would never give out copies of documentation unless I had jet the people at least.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I say pay up or go forth and multiply you bid you pay :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Personally I would not part with the V5 or copies of it until I had the money in my hand.

If the buyer wants to put the van up as collaterall for a loan how do you know they will pass the money on to you. My instinct is don't do it walk away.

John

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Surely the buyer should have the money to purchase the MH before making a bid.
What if his Lender refuses to give him any or all of the money he wants to borrow?
What if he's not happy with the condition of the MH, when he eventually sees it, and wants a reduction in the price or makes a claim against you if he finds a problem later?
I'd be very wary and not part with any paperwork until he's seen the vehicle and you have money in your hand.

:france::france::france:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I would definitely be very suspicious and would not part with any details of the vehicles V5. As a matter of interest, what was the 'buyers' feedback score, sometimes another indication they are bogus, such as (0), as its a new eBay account.
You were certainly right to be wary.
regards, Lance.

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
would you agree to buy a house THEN apply for a mortgage.....no.

If you havent removed the ad yet just leave it to run and ignore the idiot buyer.

They bid just before it finished. I will give them till tomorrow and report them to ebay if not sorted. I can't copy the V5 anyway as I've sent it to DVLA for retention of reg no.
Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I would definitely be very suspicious and would not part with any details of the vehicles V5. As a matter of interest, what was the 'buyers' feedback score, sometimes another indication they are bogus, such as (0), as its a new eBay account.
You were certainly right to be wary.
regards, Lance.

Feedback over 1000 @ 98.5 % pos and classed as BUSINESS SELLER!!!
Dave

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They bid just before it finished. I will give them till tomorrow and report them to ebay if not sorted. I can't copy the V5 anyway as I've sent it to DVLA for retention of reg no.
Dave:thumb:

I would contact E-Bay now and tell them the situation. I have found they are good at replying. I can't think any loan is going to be sorted out over a Sunday and as others have said, who bids for something without having the money?

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
be very carefull as log book loans are on the vehicle and not personal, don't know if they can but sounds as if they are trying to get loan on your van which means loan company may own your van ?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could be a scam of sorts, possible loan on vehicle which would then show up on HPI although with it not being registered in applicants name, the lender would be foolish to lend.

Possible scaam to get vehicle details to then clone a similiar stolen van

NO MONEY NO DEAL.

Peter

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
be very carefull as log book loans are on the vehicle and not personal, don't know if they can but sounds as if they are trying to get loan on your van which means loan company may own your van ?

Dont think that would be possible (own the van) as there would be no documentation to prove although I stand to be corrected

Peter

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
It will be very interesting to know the outcome of this story.
I believe strongly in 'gut instinct', this case is typical of someone taking heed of theirs. The old saying of 'if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is' comes to mind. It works both ways, buying and selling and it's good to see that someone has taken notice of their gut feeling. We may be jumping the gun, time will tell.:thumb:

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I would contact E-Bay now and tell them the situation. I have found they are good at replying. I can't think any loan is going to be sorted out over a Sunday and as others have said, who bids for something without having the money?

Can't until 48hrs after end of sale, so it will be tomorrow night when I contact them (ebay)
Dave

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Never, Never. Part with any paperwork, until you have the money in your hands. Their only after the paperwork for log book loan, as it is on the vehicle Not the owner. Be very wary !!!!!!

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Money lenders arn't stupid no way would they give a loan on copied documents.
Dave

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Trouble is, it might not be a legitimate logbook loan company, if that's what it is, but whatever they are doing, it seems to be against ebays buying policy. My advice would be to tell them they need to pay for the van as they won the bid. If they insist on stalling, cancel the bid, block them, report to eBay and realist the van.
Never part with anything other than reg number so they can sort out insurance, till you have the money.
Allan

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Trouble is, it might not be a legitimate logbook loan company, if that's what it is, but whatever they are doing, it seems to be against ebays buying policy. My advice would be to tell them they need to pay for the van as they won the bid. If they insist on stalling, cancel the bid, block them, report to eBay and realist the van.
Never part with anything other than reg number so they can sort out insurance, till you have the money.
Allan

As I said in an earlier post I don't think it's a logbook loan co, it's called carloans4u-- more like a personal loan to buy a car. I have not sent any copies of anything and will tell them to pay up or I will cancel the sale.
Dave

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It could be legit ... carloans4u is a broker so they'll find the best loan offers for the customer. On their website under FAQ it says:

What should I do when I've found a car?
As soon as you find a car, you need to call your Sales Advisor and pass on the following information straight away: vehicle registration, mileage, price and dealer details. We will then value your chosen car and make sure it's safe to purchase by conducting a HPI check. Your sales advisor will then let you know if the car if well priced and finalise your monthly payment details.

Can I buy a car from a private seller?
The majority of the cars we finance are bought through UK dealers holding a Consumer Credit License, including over 1,000 Recommended Dealers. However, we are able to provide finance for some private car sales, providing the vehicle meets certain criteria. Your Sales Advisor will provide you with more information regarding the requirements the car must meet at the point where your application for finance is accepted.

How long is the whole process?
It's normally 2-4 working days from start to finish, although an approval is valid for 28 days if you prefer to take your time.
It may be that they need to verify that the vehicle actually exists so they can arrange for a loan to be made available to purchase it - it looks like the vast majority of purchases are for cars from dealers where the money is sent direct to them, so this may be why the purchaser needs copies to prove it is a genuine purchase, remember they will want to ensure that the vehicle is legit and YOU are not a scammer!!! ::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
No money no van anyone who bids without the money to pay straight away is a timewaster in my opinion

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It could be legit ... carloans4u is a broker so they'll find the best loan offers for the customer. On their website under FAQ it says:

It may be that they need to verify that the vehicle actually exists so they can arrange for a loan to be made available to purchase it - it looks like the vast majority of purchases are for cars from dealers where the money is sent direct to them, so this may be why the purchaser needs copies to prove it is a genuine purchase, remember they will want to ensure that the vehicle is legit and YOU are not a scammer!!! ::bigsmile:

If they are that serious about buying the van, they could visit you, look at the van, check documents and leave a deposit while they sort out the loan. I would expect them to contact you before bidding to explain how they were going to pay.
I wouldn't buy a vehicle on eBay without looking it over first, especially if I was going to finance it over a long period. That's a lot of debt to be left with if something goes wrong.
Allan

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Here is what Ebay say about business on Ebay

You must include information about your business in your listings - Electronic Commerce Regulations and Distance Selling Regulations
Under the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002 you must provide the following information in the Business Seller Information section of your listings:
full contact details for your business;
details of any relevant trade organisations to which you belong;
details of any authorisation scheme relevant to your online business;
clear indications of price, if relevant, including any delivery or tax charges and
your VAT number, if your online activities are subject to VAT.

Think this answers all the questions posed above.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Log book or V5 is not proof of ownership, it says so on the front, in fact you will find that the DVLA actually own all vehicles. sad fact of life,

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Buying a vehicle or a large purchase item the transaction is rarely if ever completed by payment through ebay or paypal as the fees would be large.

It is normal to pay a holding/confirmation deposit by PayPal of say £250 and the balance on collection by bank transfer or certified bank draft (phone issuing Bank to confirm authenticity first)

Peter

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You might find that a genuine ebay account has been hijacked and it is a fraudster who has put in the bid. It's happened to my OH in the past but luckily we were suspicious and ebay sorted it for us.

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Buying a vehicle or a large purchase item the transaction is rarely if ever completed by payment through ebay or paypal as the fees would be large.

It is normal to pay a holding/confirmation deposit by PayPal of say £250 and the balance on collection by bank transfer or certified bank draft (phone issuing Bank to confirm authenticity first)

Peter

Apart from the pics I put on the ad, they haven't been to view the van, I have asked for a deposit via paypal- nothing paid in . As I need the van to go before Thurs , (pick-up new van on Fri) I have told them I am going to cancel the transaction. Shame really as I will be down a con.
siderable amount on the trade-in.
Dave

I don't suppose you want it, do you!

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Don't eBay have a policy where you can offer it to the second highest bidder ??.
Dave

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
You might find that a genuine ebay account has been hijacked and it is a fraudster who has put in the bid. It's happened to my OH in the past but luckily we were suspicious and ebay sorted it for us.

Hi, all this is exactly what has happened- some D/H was using someone else's account. I rang ebay this morning to sort it out and have told me that this has happened so have cancelled the transaction. Just shows how the bastards will try any scam to get at your money/property.
I had sent them a message to cancel the transaction and the cheeky b's said they wouldn't and still wanted me to send the V5!!!

Thanks for all the advice from all who answered my original query.
Another big tick for Motorhomefun community.
Cheers, Dave:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back