Scam Alert!!!! (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The usual way this scam works, if they are the generic scammer, will be that they will assure you that all is going ahead. They will then at some point in the sob story introduce the fact that they need to get some extra money to a third party, and that they will add this to the paypal transaction.
You will then receive an email, that if you are not tech savvy looks like it came from paypal, explaining that a large amount of money has been placed in Escrow, and that you need to complete the transaction.
Strangely the scammer will know that you have received that email, and will then ask you to forward the extraneous amount via Western Union. When they receive that they will release the paypal Escrow.
Of course, this falls down because PayPal don't do Escrow arrangements, Western Union is not reversible because it is cash, you will just be out of pocket to the advance fee. Or, if they get hold of bank details, a whole lot more.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Give them the address of the local police station.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Some poor sod got scammed in the Scotland scammed program on tv the other night. MHS are big business. For anyone wanting to watch the program on catch up its here.
www.stopscammers.stv.tv

?

Deleted User
I used to play along with these idiots. I had one guy on the phone trying to convince me he was genuine. I have cheque's up the loft totaling £10 what they sent in the hope i bank them.

?

Deleted User
This happens to nearly every single car advert put up on Gumtree and the others, if 1% fall for it they have won. unfortunately they do always get somebody that does fall for it. DO NOT GIVE EMAIL ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBERS on answer or it will be added to the mugs list.

Also, quite probably, once the sellers location is disclosed the '' courier agent '' simply pops round & steals the vehicle.

They may have changed a bit now but 10 years or so it was send you a cheque for more than your item price. You take your money and are ment to give the rest to his courier who is sent to collect item. The scam was you to bank the cheque so they can skin your account somehow.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Dave @ShiftZZ can correct me if I am mistaken but I think if a cheque has been fraudulently issued (say a cheque book stolen during a robbery and then used) the bank can reclaim the money for several months after the cheque has been cashed. Even if the person paying in the cheque is innocent of everything except trusting someone.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just sold one of our Smart cars and they wanted to do a bank transfer for the money .. unfortunately the chap had forgotten to bring his little HSBC security code key (looks like a mini calculator) which he needed to set-up a new 'payee'! He had to get hold of his brother so he could send the money to him (he already had him set-up so no need for the code key) and then we had to wait whilst his brother fed the kids before he could send the money to our bank ... it took over an hour by the time it was all sorted ... so sometimes cash IS better!!!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Dave @ShiftZZ can correct me if I am mistaken but I think if a cheque has been fraudulently issued (say a cheque book stolen during a robbery and then used) the bank can reclaim the money for several months after the cheque has been cashed. Even if the person paying in the cheque is innocent of everything except trusting someone.
Broken Link Removed

So it could be up to 6 years..

Also,but..
What happens if a cheque is found to be fraudulent before the end of the 6th working day after I have paid in my cheque?
Following the introduction of the Broken Link Removed cheque changes, a customer accepting a cheque can be sure that at the end of 6 working days (after paying a cheque or bankers' draft into their bank account) the money is theirs. They are protected from any loss, should the cheque turn out to be fraudulent - the funds cannot be reclaimed without the customer's consent unless the customer is a knowing party to fraud or has been negligent in some way.

However, any customers who do not wait until the end of the sixth working day, and decide to withdraw and spend funds before that, do so at their own risk. If the cheque subsequently bounces, they may have to return funds to their bank or building society. To be sure when the money is yours, use the Broken Link Removed provided on this site.

What happens if a cheque is found to be fraudulent after the end of the 6th working day after I have paid in my cheque?
All customers are protected and can keep the funds from the cheque provided they are not a knowing party to fraud or have been negligent in some way. If there is a dispute, each case would be looked at on an individual basis, and you can seek redress through your bank or building society's own formal complaints procedure. Under BCOBS (the Banking Conduct of Business Sourcebook) all banks and building societies are obliged to tell their customers how to go about this. Failing a satisfactory resolution, you can refer your complaint to an independent assessment by the Financial Ombudsman Service.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks Dave. I didn't know about the six day rule. I wonder of it also applies outside England?

EDIT: Just checked the Bills of Exchange Act and the two Cheque Acts and looks like it is E, W, S and NI plus IoM, Chanel Islands :)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Dave. I didn't know about the six day rule. I wonder of it also applies outside England?

EDIT: Just checked the Bills of Exchange Act and the two Cheque Acts and looks like it is E, W, S and NI plus IoM, Chanel Islands :)
Not sure, I know any cheque from the USA, was virtuallu no time limit as to when they can return the cheques.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Not sure, I know any cheque from the USA, was virtuallu no time limit as to when they can return the cheques.

My quick skim read of the acts indicted the laws apply to cheques (bills of exchange) issued by banks in the UK and applied to those countries. I can't see how UK legislation could apply to other countries unless there was a specific agreement that it should. I can't see any bank wanting that kind of interference!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My quick skim read of the acts indicted the laws apply to cheques (bills of exchange) issued by banks in the UK and applied to those countries. I can't see how UK legislation could apply to other countries unless there was a specific agreement that it should. I can't see any bank wanting that kind of interference!
Its a long time since I had anything to do with cheques. Not sure what changes have been made recently. The last big one was when some plank paid a cheque for a £1m without following procedures , that loss in one cheque cost me my bonus...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have our motorhome on Gumtree and just had this email:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on a wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since I'm unable to see it in person. i have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and I'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Do they think I was born yesterday?????? But how do I respond? Lead them along a bit or just ignore it?

Accept Payment by paypal
Give them the address of your local police station.

blue1875nose

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2010
Have received an email today, very similar to those posted by others, from 'marycampbell24199@gmail.com';

Great! please consider it sold and i want you to remove the advert as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound,
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

I was somewhat suspicious and my more techno-savvy son helped to highlight the fraudulent nature of this communication. 'Google-ing' the email address immediately produced a link to 'Motorhomefun' where all the gory details were laid bare. So be vigilant!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have received an email today, very similar to those posted by others, from 'marycampbell24199@gmail.com';

Great! please consider it sold and i want you to remove the advert as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound,
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

I was somewhat suspicious and my more techno-savvy son helped to highlight the fraudulent nature of this communication. 'Google-ing' the email address immediately produced a link to 'Motorhomefun' where all the gory details were laid bare. So be vigilant!
And Mary Campbell appears to be a man! Which is odd ;-)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You are all gonna have a field day here. Dumbo on computers. What gave the game away? She wanted to pay by paypal before collection. What can go wrong? Surely once money in your account you are laughing .. no? Crumbs I would be useless using ebay.:(

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just got this today ...
pl;ease read my reply...

Great! please consider it sold and i want you to remove the advert as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm house-bound,
Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Show original message

To
Mary Campbell
Today at 18:50
i will require full payment in cash,
To avoid money laundering and scams .please bring your :- Passport , 4 recent utility bills , Driving Licence ,and National Insurance documents , we can then both go together and pay the cash in my bank where my son in law is the Bank Manager ,
Please send me your address and telephone number .
you can find my house easily as my Police patrol car is parked in my drive .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I get contacted on skype and the occasional IM or email.
They get an "F off" in big capital letters then blocked.

I am not wasting my time baiting them or tracking them down.

The police/trading standards should be posting fake adverts and trapping these people... Something needs to be done that is pro-active...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I keep getting fake messages from (supposedly) Paypal saying " we believe someone has used your ID to carry out a transaction. Please click on the link below to update your details"
I just bin them, but some of these DO make you think twice !!
I am not very "savvy" in the scam world we now seem to live in !!
Mitch.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cash handed over at the Bank is even better
spoke to a guy on saturday, he sold his trail bike to an ethnic gentleman for £3500 cash , very smart dressed gold tooth etc .
He checked the notes and counted them all ok , took them to the bank they were ALL fake .
Police couldn't find the guy , or the bike ... the ethnic gentleman had given false name , address , email and website .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
He checked the notes and counted them all ok , took them to the bank they were ALL fake .
Police couldn't find the guy , or the bike ... the ethnic gentleman had given false name , address , email and website .

Cash handed over at the Bank is even better

The magic words to keep you out of trouble are high lighted:hi5:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back