sattelite dish advice, snipe 2? (1 Viewer)

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I have a maxview crank up and simply can't get on with it. I find it stressful and can't count on being able to find the satellite.

I have decided to ditch it and buy an automatic one.

The snipe looks a good choice on price and seems to be well received by others, any views? Will it work in Germany or further south?

Your help and advice would be appreciated.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I decided exactly the same and got a Snipe 2 when we switched MHs, as it was cheaper than the Maxview auto-tuner, if slightly taller when folded.

Haven't tried it in Germany yet, but on our recent round trip of France we didn't notice channels dropping out until about level with Bordeaux. The simplicity of use is worth every extra penny - no more heaving and straining with the Maxview rotating handle.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I decided exactly the same and got a Snipe 2 when we switched MHs, as it was cheaper than the Maxview auto-tuner, if slightly taller when folded.

Haven't tried it in Germany yet, but on our recent round trip of France we didn't notice channels dropping out until about level with Bordeaux. The simplicity of use is worth every extra penny - no more heaving and straining with the Maxview rotating handle.
Ditto.!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
my snipe 2 has thrown a fault i think, wont even lock on to astra 2 in the uk. best i get in france is hotbird.
wasn't very good even when working properly.. now out of warranty. I would say buy a proper automatic version.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Have had a snipe for 4 years now. When I first bought it I used to pop it outside on a small table and get in at night which to be fair was not a major problem. Have now changed vans and have had it mounted on roof and no problem but can't comment on further than
mid France

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a Snipe 2 not been down below Dordogne yet but had a Snipe on the last van and OK down to northern Provence, fine in Western Germany no Motorhome dish will pick up Astra 2 in East Germany.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi
We have a snipe 2 and received most, not all channels down at Toulouse

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Currently at Bolougne-Sur-mer ready to catch Tunnel today, just spent 17 days touring France and worked down to just past level with Bordeaux, impressed with its performance and never had a problem, another advantage I found out last night, as it was very windy here a lot couldn't/wouldn't put up there much bigger dishes no problem with the snipe

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
my snipe 2 has thrown a fault i think, wont even lock on to astra 2 in the uk. best i get in france is hotbird.
wasn't very good even when working properly.. now out of warranty. I would say buy a proper automatic version.
Have you installed the latest update?

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
tried to install it, managed to download on to clean usb stick and put in controller, but came up with some fault, can't remember what, i'll try it again this week end.
i think the trouble with mine was water was in between the base plate and the unit and froze while in luxembourg, might have damaged a motor, but will still lock on to hotbird.. certainly the snipe 2 doesn't do what they claim as regard to equivalent to a 60cm dish.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
tried to install it, managed to download on to clean usb stick and put in controller, but came up with some fault, can't remember what, i'll try it again this week end.
i think the trouble with mine was water was in between the base plate and the unit and froze while in luxembourg, might have damaged a motor, but will still lock on to hotbird.. certainly the snipe 2 doesn't do what they claim as regard to equivalent to a 60cm dish.
Did you disconnect the aerial first , and is your usb stick on FAT 32 as needs both for update to work properly ?

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
yes did both those ,,,but just re read the instuctions..doh i did'nt press tune and set, (i think it was) first.
I will give it another chance tomorrow before i rip it off the roof and sling it. But on second thoughts, it's still ok for hotbird, where i can at least watch the news while laid in bed in france.
thanks for your help.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have had the Snipe almost three years now and get Astra 2 almost all the places we have been in France right down to below Bayonne but it gives up below there. Just occasionally we can pick it up again in Spain but not very often.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I should add that my earlier comment on Snipe 2 coverage in France was for Freesat channels only - it may be different for Sky etc.

We were still picking up Sky News and a few pop video channels near the Spanish border, but the quality stuff began to fade out south of Bordeaux - Grenoble. We did a complete circuit of France on that trip. The earlier comment about high winds is a valid one - I don't have any worries leaving the Snipe out when it's windy but would normally put the Maxview dish down.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
certainly the snipe 2 doesn't do what they claim as regard to equivalent to a 60cm dish.
I reckon mine works a lot better, on a previous van I had an Oyster 85cm dish that didn't have the auto skew, the Snipe gives better coverage than that used to.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have the bigger Megasat Countryman professional (German version of the Snipe promax) and it works well we could pick up Astra 2 down in the Tarn gorges, but it is a bit of a lump so we were thing of a Cytrac DX for the new van we pick up next week as it sits much lower when folded, any body got any opinions on one of these?

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
We have the bigger Megasat Countryman professional (German version of the Snipe promax) and it works well we could pick up Astra 2 down in the Tarn gorges, but it is a bit of a lump so we were thing of a Cytrac DX for the new van we pick up next week as it sits much lower when folded, any body got any opinions on one of these?

Very good systems in either Single or Twin LNB. As you have suggested very compact when in it closed position being only 14cm in height..

Also they are incredibly robust in poor weather windy conditions.

The other reason that we find they are popular with our customers is that you are future proofing your self in relation to the required roof space to install the Cytrac is very minimal meaning if you intend to change your motorhome again in the future and wish to transfer it across then you would be more likely to do so..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you installed the latest update?
Can you tell me where and how I install this please. Ive just bought myself a 2nd hand snipe 2 that wasnt being used.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Very good systems in either Single or Twin LNB. As you have suggested very compact when in it closed position being only 14cm in height..

Also they are incredibly robust in poor weather windy conditions.

The other reason that we find they are popular with our customers is that you are future proofing your self in relation to the required roof space to install the Cytrac is very minimal meaning if you intend to change your motorhome again in the future and wish to transfer it across then you would be more likely to do so..

James
Vanbitz not too far away from Clevedon. What system would you recommend with telly, and how much for installation on roof of Chausson 510.
Cheers. Please email, or copy in, steve.anslow@cbsl.net

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can you tell me where and how I install this please. Ive just bought myself a 2nd hand snipe 2 that wasnt being used.

Paste this into your browser
Don't use a too bigger USB stick I found it wouldn't work with a 32 GB one a 4Gb one worked OK.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Don't use a too bigger USB stick I found it wouldn't work with a 32 GB one a 4Gb one worked OK.
Thanks, I managed to do it last week but even after the upgrade it won't fold down by itself if after driving at more than 25klm. Will need to contact Snipe again.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
No
Thanks, I managed to do it last week but even after the upgrade it won't fold down by itself if after driving at more than 25klm. Will need to contact Snipe again.
Not sure but I think it has to have the live from vehicle and not the leisure battery ..but cant be sure .just a hunch .

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No
Not sure but I think it has to have the live from vehicle and not the leisure battery ..but cant be sure .just a hunch .
Yes, already been onto Snipe who told me to upgrade which I've done but still no luck. Will try the process once more before contacting them again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back