SatNav sales in decline, John Lewis not stocking them anymore. (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I use a Garmin satnav which I like, but it does pick weird routes sometimes, compared with Google Maps on the phone. My concern about using the phone all the time is data consumption - am I right in thinking having the phone navigating permanently will eat data, with associated potential bills, especially abroad. I'll be very happy to be wrong on this :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
we have tom tom go on the head unit in the van works as well as a stand alone tom tom we had sygic on free trial and it got us lost twice in france and again in germany so we went to tom tom @£15 a year subscription which compares well to buying a stand alone with a lifespan of 5 years
Yes, we're going to give TomTom a go on the tablet again, silly not to at that price, but will wait until nearer our next holiday before doing so as we don't need it at home, just for foreign holidays.

Sygic had a couple of hissy fits whilst we were away, one of them was that for some reason wanting to take us off the motorway, round the town bypass on the other side, then back on the motorway ... no idea why as the motorway route was much shorter, so we stayed on the motorway (non-toll) and sailed through without a problem ... I think it did it just to keep us on our toes! :D2

The problem with Sygic is you are limited in the POIs you can put on it, you can't add aires etc easily, if at all (hubby's not had the patience to work it out yet as it will be very laborious if he can find a way to do it!), whereas the TomTom app is much, much easier and quicker to add your own POIs to, however Sygic does have some features which are better than the old TomTom app version so we're hoping the latest version is better.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use a Garmin satnav which I like, but it does pick weird routes sometimes, compared with Google Maps on the phone. My concern about using the phone all the time is data consumption - am I right in thinking having the phone navigating permanently will eat data, with associated potential bills, especially abroad. I'll be very happy to be wrong on this :)
That's always been one of my concerns as we don't have a lot of data on our phones so don't have a sat nav system that needs it turned on, hence Sygic - not sure about Google maps but I suspect you'll need internet and therefore use your data allowance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That's always been one of my concerns as we don't have a lot of data on our phones so don't have a sat nav system that needs it turned on, hence Sygic - not sure about Google maps but I suspect you'll need internet and therefore use your data allowance.
It does use data faster than browsing use, but today we have the H+ or 4G network with cheap generous data allowances that work across Europe at no extra cost. There really is no excuse to be stuck in the dark ages.

"Network coverage issues!" I hear the Luddesdown shout, no you can't blame that because the map is pre downloaded miles before you get there, so if navigation freezes which it very rarely does, you simply switch to overhead view.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Satnav is garbage... give me a map. Especially the ones with 'traffic updates'.. Did my trip back from Belgium last weekend on road signs.. 2 hrs 15mins , on the way, 3 hours 45 including a lap round Brussels that nobody would ever do.

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
All singing, all dancing Kenwood in the MH...still use the old TomTom.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Goooooooooogle is the winner for me, thinks your in a car which is fine as I use it for the route, then I READ ROAD SIGNS :eek: on my approach to junctions and roundabouts.

I like to know where I am going and not rely on being told where to go and when to get into a certain lane or take the 3rd exit ???? (n) I mute my volume and always watch the road and Google maps is my route planner to give me the end to end detail.

We have travelled France last 2 years using Google, and being over 3.5T in weight I became instantly aware that I am restricted in some towns and as I read the road signs I do not fall into a trap of "I was following NAV".

Dont worry about using data, get a proper mobile plan and utilise the device, saves having a phone and a NAV in the windscreen, just use one device and if your stereo head unit has Bluetooth you can receive calls also !! Android (Google) is a brilliant tool.

Oh and Kate is always at my side following the MAP .. :D2

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't be fooled by TomToms free maps for life offer.
It's well known this means until they decide not to write new map software for a given model but I found out mine (GO500) will expire in 2019....it will be exactly 5 years old.
My last one (GO910) was 9 years old and never had a map update and I never got lost once.
New roads don't simply start and end in the middle of nowhere, the are extensions of existing roads and if followed will come back on the map screen.
If you need to turn off a new, unknown road signs are still used extensively to direct you....and get you back on the map.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

Not sure if you've understood.
Mapping and Sat nav applications such as Maps.me on your phone/tablet do not need to be online to work nowadays.
They can be used without any phone signal or internet/ data usage; they use satellite positioning, so are totally free, they don't eat any data from your mobile phone airtime provider.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Mapping and Sat nav applications such as Maps.me on your phone/tablet do not need to be online to work nowadays.
They can be used without any phone signal or internet/ data usage; they use satellite positioning, so are totally free, they don't eat any data from your mobile phone airtime provider.
Yes worth noting. I've got the maps.me and offline maps apps. Very good for free but Google maps has the edge, and it has live traffic info of course.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes I know, I was referring to the Google maps query earlier. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just use paper maps . either use a biro or a pencil to mark poi. if you use a pencil its easier to rub them out if you change your mind ten or so years later.
i do find my 1974 map of spain isnt so good these days with them motorways cutting up the nice local roads . but never mind i do have a mapamax of spain and portugal.
and a 2002 map of europe that sort of works .

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
just use paper maps . either use a biro or a pencil to mark poi. if you use a pencil its easier to rub them out if you change your mind ten or so years later.
i do find my 1974 map of spain isnt so good these days with them motorways cutting up the nice local roads . but never mind i do have a mapamax of spain and portugal.
and a 2002 map of europe that sort of works .
And of course the sextant compliments them perfectly :LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
And of course the sextant compliments them perfectly :LOL:
had loads of fun with one of them when at school the maths teacher had one and if you hurried up your work he sent us out with questions about height of the buildings .
he didnt know my dad was ex navy and had one at home .
i have travelled all over the place a compass and a good map or even just the compass works . a map of the sahara is hopeless just throw a bucket of sand on the floor and spread it out . hee hee .
australia america works just the same way.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Goooooooooogle is the winner for me, thinks your in a car which is fine as I use it for the route, then I READ ROAD SIGNS :eek: on my approach to junctions and roundabouts.

I like to know where I am going and not rely on being told where to go and when to get into a certain lane or take the 3rd exit ???? (n) I mute my volume and always watch the road and Google maps is my route planner to give me the end to end detail.

We have travelled France last 2 years using Google, and being over 3.5T in weight I became instantly aware that I am restricted in some towns and as I read the road signs I do not fall into a trap of "I was following NAV".

Dont worry about using data, get a proper mobile plan and utilise the device, saves having a phone and a NAV in the windscreen, just use one device and if your stereo head unit has Bluetooth you can receive calls also !! Android (Google) is a brilliant tool.

Oh and Kate is always at my side following the MAP .. :D2

Pretty much agree with everything you say, gps devices are a guide not an instruction, we also have the volume off makes for a much more harmonious exit as your leaving a town following signs for your destination whilst the bloody gps wants you to take a residential street with sleeping policemen to save100 mtrs! Another tip, disable the height an width facility and again use your eyes.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I have co pilot on my Ipad and my phone, love it !!

Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Just got new Fiat M/home with built in Tom Tom sat nav which takes you off at every junction on the motorway and back on again, it must be to break the monotony and stop you falling asleep. Don't take any notice of course because I still use my old reliable, full of POI's ,TomTom 5200 for sound effects. Same applies to whatever system is built in to my VW car it doesn't take you off the M/way but certainly not as reliable as my stand alone. I had Co-Pilot many years ago on a hand held computer when a 1gb SD card cost me £170. I liked the system and may give it another go on a tablet now SD cards are a little cheaper.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Co-Pilot was the first ever sat nav system we had, it was on a data reader/mini computer or something, can't remember what they were called, cost us a packet at the time but was great until it decided to have a hissy-fit just before we got to Paris and the only way to get a code to sort it was to ring the UK ... it would probably have cost as much as the flipping unit!!! Great system though and good mapping, not sure what today's offering is like.

Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Never trust a Sat Nav not to get you in trouble, a few years ago a tugger friend of ours got off the boat at Bilbao and set course for La Manga via Madrid.. He got a bit worried when he finished up in the centre of Madrid and had to get a Taxi driver to lead him out. Daftest part was he did exactly the same the following year, don't know if he got the same Taxi Driver though. Personally I always check the paper map plan my route and then enter plenty of via point to make sure the sat nav goes where I want it. Can still get in trouble now and again though.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Oh how the worm has turned. When they came out they were the best thing since sliced bread. Now the good old sat Nav will be put to bed due to Apps the smart phone and inclusive Data use abroad

As Peter Kay would say, Garlic bread, Garlic bread ' its the future.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Never trust a Sat Nav not to get you in trouble, a few years ago a tugger friend of ours got off the boat at Bilbao and set course for La Manga via Madrid.. He got a bit worried when he finished up in the centre of Madrid and had to get a Taxi driver to lead him out. Daftest part was he did exactly the same the following year, don't know if he got the same Taxi Driver though. Personally I always check the paper map plan my route and then enter plenty of via point to make sure the sat nav goes where I want it. Can still get in trouble now and again though.

Says much about your tugger friends understanding of how his satnav works and his ability to program it, possibly it could have been an RTFI fault

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back