SatNav sales in decline, John Lewis not stocking them anymore.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mack100, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,811
    Saw this in a newsletter on a Satnav site:
    I didn't realize this was happening. I've used Waze when abroad in a hire car but still prefer using my TomTom device. Looks as though it's days are numbered.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +905
    Yes I've been saying for a few years Tomtom will become a software company, like Sega.

3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,981
    We like TomTom's dedicated units but also like our tablet Sygic too - we're gonna give the TomTom app a try again and see if it has improved on the earlier versions which have limitations so aren't as good as the dedicated unit. I've said for a while that if TomTom did a dedicated large screen unit which you could 'manupulate' like a tablet it would be great, unfortunately they haven't so we use our tablet with Sygic and keep our TomTom unit as a back-up.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. tomm

tomm Funster

Ratings:
    +476
    The choice of sat nav apps is now at such a level that people can experiment at very little , sometimes nil cost , to find a system they like. Rather than shelling out a lot of money for a dedicated unit and possibly not getting on with it .The apps even being pre loaded with particular POI sets .

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,981
    Yes that's very true the difficulty with some of them though is that you can't put on your own POIs which, for us, is a major issue as they don't come pre-loaded with aires etc and can't be added.

6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +45,544
    OMG ..... that's me done for then. I get lost WITH a satnav ... no chance now. :(

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Love it Love it x 1
  7. tomm

tomm Funster

Ratings:
    +476
    We were going to go the way of trying a built in (single DIN flip out) radio/gps type unit . However I have now been looking for a low cost decent resolution tablet with a gps antennae built in , with the express purpose being to use it as our gps , via trying out these available cheap apps .

What I"m suggesting is that between them all being loaded on the same unit at little to no cost , the particular POI sets required are probably going to be available somewhere among them . In that way ,switch to the app which contains the immediate required POI set .

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Ratings:
    +13,001
    I don't want a pad computer and I hate my mobile phone. I've just ordered spare batteries for both our TomToms and I'm going to hold out until the bitter end. Trouble is, what will the lifetime of the product's support network be?

I am extremely wary of society's increasing reliance upon a single pocket gizmo with a tiny screen - at some point it is going to fail on us.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  9. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +327
    The big downturn in the market is more likely due to sat nav being standard fitment in most vehicles now , so no need for a plug in .

• Like it Like it x 2
  10. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +2,176
    I'd be lost without my SatNav ------ Brilliant:hi5:

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +905
    Some cars (Citroën C1) have a screen that mirrors your smartphone so you can have what Sat nav you want. That's the future.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +2,649
    Some of us would not have a clue what to do with a smart phone, haha

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,811
    It's having control over the customisable POI's that influences my choice of device or software. My somewhat ancient TomTom Start 25 gives me total flexibility and inserting downloaded POI files is really easy. This is not the case with more up to date models. @Richard and Ann comment about these companies moving away from hardware and concentrating on software is entirely valid.
    The SatNav unit in my 6 year old Merc car is only just usable, nowhere near as good as my TomTom and I don't intend changing the car for a long time.
    Incidentally I find the GPS acquisition and accuracy on my Android smartphone is infinitely better than my TomTom unit.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. cornish boy

cornish boy Funster

Ratings:
    +1,253
    That certainly would be the way forward, especially with more manufacturers offering wireless charging pads and wifi options

15. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,291
    Some bright spark will think of a guide that you can renew, perhaps on an annual basis, at little cost unlike map updates from the likes of Garmin and TomTom, to say nothing of my Becker in car satnav. Ah yes they have, it's available online and from many High Street outlets near you. (y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ratings:
    +3,444
    Map updates for recent Garmin's are free as are traffic and red light camera warnings

17. duffs

duffs Funster

Ratings:
    +95
    Love my old tom tom, not supported anymore, but you can download other users updates, does europe too.

I'd be totally lost without it especially the M42 /M5 route to the west country, so many times went the wrong way, now it's a breeze

18. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Ratings:
    +564
    The trouble I have is that I am not smart enough to use a smart phone(n)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like it Like it x 1
  19. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Ratings:
    +4,390
    Hi.
    Don't worry about that, somebody will be along shortly to tell you....Exactly.... What to do with it/them.:eek::eek::eek:(y)
    Tea Bag

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

Ratings:
    +862
    They won't exist as dedicated units in a few years. Now that the same software can be loaded onto any laptop, tablet or smartphone, and also an increasing number if cars have sat nav built in to their on board display, there's less and less demand for standalone units.
    We have had two Tom Tom units over the past decade, but now that we also have maps.me sat nav software downloaded FREE on both our mobile phones and tablet computer, we won't be buying another Tom Tom when our present ones dies, they've been superseded. You can already get the Tom Tom system as a download to your smartphone etc rather than having to buy their frankly not very good box/screen to run it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1