SatNav not finding channels. (2 Viewers)

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Got a problem with my Oyster 90cm SatNav dish Avtex TV. When I select Astra 2 on the Oyster dish coontroller it finds the sat OK. When I then select Astra 2 and do a search of the FTA channels on my Avtex TV it comes back with 0 channels, Any ideas what's wrong. Been using the setup successfully since 2016 without probs.

Attachments

• 20200725_180006.jpg
    20200725_180006.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200725_180324.jpg
    20200725_180324.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 30

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not sure if you can but might be better if you could amend the title as it's a sat TV problem you have not sat nav.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It sounds to me like you’re mixing up your navigation system and your television system. My sat nav doesn’t get channels. It’s a Garmin camper 760. What make is your sat nav?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It sounds to me like you’re mixing up your navigation system and your television system. My sat nav doesn’t get channels. It’s a Garmin camper 760. What make is your sat nav?
Never seen a Satnav which receives any channels let alone TV channels.
The OP is referring to a satellite system not a Satnav.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I'll have a pint of what he's on.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Check the cables make sure the centre core hasn’t broken.
If they have you can remake them fairly easily

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
OK simple mistake. Sat dish not SatNav dish. Is there a way to edit or delete the post?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK simple mistake. Sat dish not SatNav dish. Is there a way to edit or delete the post?
Too late now. You do get a limited time to edit mistakes but 3 hours is too long.
Don't worry about it, if your post is read correctly its obvious you mean satellite.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Got a problem with my Oyster 90cm SatNav dish Avtex TV. When I select Astra 2 on the Oyster dish coontroller it finds the sat OK. When I then select Astra 2 and do a search of the FTA channels on my Avtex TV it comes back with 0 channels, Any ideas what's wrong. Been using the setup successfully since 2016 without probs.
your avtex TV assuming its the DRS model with inbuilt satellite decoder should not need re scanned as the majority of free to air satellite channels are already pre stored in its memory .
looking at your first photo are you sure you've selected the correct search mode for Astra 28.2 and not freeview terrestrial Television which is through a normal Ariel

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
your avtex TV assuming its the DRS model with inbuilt satellite decoder should not need re scanned as the majority of free to air satellite channels are already pre stored in its memory .
looking at your first photo are you sure you've selected the correct search mode for Astra 28.2 and not freeview terrestrial Television which is through a normal Ariel
Yes using the TV setup option on the Avtex remote, I paged down to the Satellite option, selected Astra 2, then used the default setting which is FTA. Unfortunately the MH is now back instorage so I can't send a screen shot.

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Check the cables make sure the centre core hasn’t broken.
If they have you can remake them fairly easily
I assume by 'the core' you're referring to the single copper wire that slots into the TV socket at one end, and the Oyster system at the other. I did check these and both are intact.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume by 'the core' you're referring to the single copper wire that slots into the TV socket at one end, and the Oyster system at the other. I did check these and both are intact.
Also check continuity of the centre core.
It could be broken internally.
Multimeter set to Ohms.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
There should NOT be a red light on the left-hand button. It's probably indicating that the dish has NOT successfully locked on to Astra 2. The Avtex TV should show 2 bars with signal strength/quality to confirm whether or not you're getting a signal from Astra 2.

The only time I've seen that red light is when I've changed satellite from say Astra 2 to Astra 1. The red light appears only during the time it takes to swop between satellites.

Maybe our resident expert Anthony OysterTech may be able to help. But don't expect a response until Monday when he returns to his business, representing the Oyster parent company in UK.

In the meantime, it may be worth checking the dish is pointing at compass bearing 144 degrees with clear line of sight. This is based on your location near Manchester.

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Also check continuity of the centre core.
It could be broken internally.
Multimeter set to Ohms.
Don't have a multimeter, but I did try feeding another ariel cable between the Oyster box and the TV and that made no difference. If I bought a multimeter and set it to ohms what would I expect to see?

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all, sorry for being so late to the party, business seems to be getting back to usual now so that means I need to start investing in cloning technology!!!

Firstly hi Graham, strange problem you seem to be having but I'd start off by checking what off da grid mentioned. A dodgy coax cable between the Oyster box and the TV will cause this type of issue as the Oyster only provides voltage to the LNB when searching. Once it's locked that voltage shuts down to allow the TV to take control of the signal. If there's no voltage getting up then no signal is going to come back down.
Now, we know that the Oyster is working fine because it searches and locks so the cabling from the Oyster box to the roof is all ok. My advice would be to run a cable from the Oyster box to the TV to check to see if that cures the problem. If it does you can feed the new cable in and job done.
If it doesn't then there could be a problem with the Oyster brain unit looping the voltage from the TV out and up to the roof unit. Again, with the test cable, disconnect the two sat cables from the oyster box and join them together. If still no TV after that then I would try a different receiver box as it's always possible it could be the Avtex.

Hope this helps.

Also, on a side note, the red light on the control unit does not mean there's a problem. A while ago the Germans had this great idea to use that light to give error codes. It was abandoned pretty quickly however software had already had it added in order for them to test and now (on those versions) you can get lights on at random times. You've probably just got one of those software versions on your system but don't worry about the light. If there's any problems with the system it will tell you the error on the screen.

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all, sorry for being so late to the party, business seems to be getting back to usual now so that means I need to start investing in cloning technology!!!

Firstly hi Graham, strange problem you seem to be having but I'd start off by checking what off da grid mentioned. A dodgy coax cable between the Oyster box and the TV will cause this type of issue as the Oyster only provides voltage to the LNB when searching. Once it's locked that voltage shuts down to allow the TV to take control of the signal. If there's no voltage getting up then no signal is going to come back down.
Now, we know that the Oyster is working fine because it searches and locks so the cabling from the Oyster box to the roof is all ok. My advice would be to run a cable from the Oyster box to the TV to check to see if that cures the problem. If it does you can feed the new cable in and job done.
If it doesn't then there could be a problem with the Oyster brain unit looping the voltage from the TV out and up to the roof unit. Again, with the test cable, disconnect the two sat cables from the oyster box and join them together. If still no TV after that then I would try a different receiver box as it's always possible it could be the Avtex.

Hope this helps.

Also, on a side note, the red light on the control unit does not mean there's a problem. A while ago the Germans had this great idea to use that light to give error codes. It was abandoned pretty quickly however software had already had it added in order for them to test and now (on those versions) you can get lights on at random times. You've probably just got one of those software versions on your system but don't worry about the light. If there's any problems with the system it will tell you the error on the screen.
Thanks for your considered response Anthony. As you will see in my other post - looking for a repairer - I've decided not to bother getting it repaired as we're buying a new motorhome and will manage without.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
No problem Graham,

If you change your mind or want any further advice then please PM me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back