Satnav mount (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Picking up new MH next week after seven years with a very reliable and much loved 6m model and moving up to 7m (not the point of this thread) ! Things have progressed in 7 years and the old CD/radio has been replaced by a digital, bluetooth, mp3 player, just one problem with that...the sat nav used to fit snugly into the slot of the CD player by means of a cleverly designed plate, easily removed and put away when not in use. but of course no longer there. I'm not keen on sticking the sucker on the windscreen all those round marks left everywhere, anybody know of any other clever fixings you can use on a Peugeot Boxer base ?

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
You could go for the weighted dash board mount, but it needs to be relatively flat. Keith :cool:

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Do a search on fleabay and find a disc for tomtom. I have positioned mine on the top of the dash and put the 7" Chinese satnav on that, easy to remove and the disc is almost unnoticeable.
Try this:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I turned our old TomTom's window mount upside down and screwed the suction cup to top of the dashboard. Still worked.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
One of these slim mats has served us well for five years in our Ducato X250 - sits neatly in the centre of the dash.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If I put mine on the windscreen I'd need bino's to read it..

Have it stuck to the drivers quarter light side window.. can see it easily and can also use it , change route etc. while driving ;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've just mounted ours to the roof lining next to the interior light after first reinforcing the headlining. It's a 7inch Chinese truck one that is now tucked up out of the way, close enough to see and out of the sun so no reflection in it. Reinforce the lining and two self tappers through the suction cup normally stuck to the screen.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
If you have the "papers" clip like the Ducato version make strip of thin ply screw the satnav mount base to that, stick a bit of dense foam over the bolt heads to compensate for the curve of the dash. one clip in sat nav stand that don't move.

When it stops raining I'll wander out to the MH and take a picture.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have an A class so when the satnav is stuck to the window I can't see it or reach it. We use one of the sticky disks now similar to this, and it is very stable.
Amazon product ASIN B001763SRI
That's what we use, I have it stuck to the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Makes life easy for using the screen being that I am right handed! :D

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Thanks all ! some great ideas. I have gone for the mat option from eBay, seems the simplest, if it fails to work the paper clip option might be the way to go, will let you know. Going to France 1 day after picking up new MH so time is not on our side !

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We use an I-Pad with TomTom on it downloaded from' I-tunes' and also Campercontact.
They work superbly together and it stands on the dash in its case. Dead easy to see and Jenny can see and update as we go along.
Mitch.

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Not sure, haven't got the vehicle yet, would be good if it had, just stick it on the plastic thing. The old MH had a pull up plastic leaf for clipping papers to, not sure it was as big as that, never opened it !

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
No, the plastic thing actually holds a phone or a tablet (or indeed a satnav)
Fiat_Ducato_9_Dash_with_phoneholder.jpg

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Looks a good invention, will await delivery to see if it's the same, I've a feeling it isn't ! Thanks anyway.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
A few years back they used to say never use a sucker mount, or if you do wipe it clean every time, but that was a time when satnavs were fairly new and expensive, hence targeted by thief's to cash in, but they've come down in price so much these days and everyone's got one. I reckon leaving the sucker attachment on the windscreen tells anyone that the unit is not present anyway; always put it into it's carry case and take it with you.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Don't want to be contentious, but I thought you weren't supposed to have anything that obscures the area that the wipers cover.

When my car was MOT's they removed the sat nav, which was placed at the bottom of the screen in the centre.

From the look of the pic it appears to obscure part of the screen , or is the way the pic is taken , so that when you're in the driving seat you effectively see "behind it"

Andrew

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
5 mins before setting off for France last year my 7" chinese sat nav window mount broke, the arm that you bend down to get the suction to stick bit. I stripped the soft sucker bit off and super glued the mount onto the dash fold up bit like on the fiat pic above and its closer and solid and as my cheyenne is 2004 i dont think it will matter if i sell it or trade up as it looks as if its suposed to be there now.
So there :p

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The fiat clip board thing above the radio is fixed closed in ours to accomodate the radio head unit,
I was able to stick the Garmin bracket on top of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back