LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
This is getting silly. I have a Garmin satnav. The charging cable that came with it is standard length (about 1mtr) and will only reach the nearest cig. lighter socket by being draped across the dashboard and generally getting in the way. I would like a longer lead so I can route it neatly around the dashboard area, discretely out of the way. I have the option of USB or cig. lighter power supply so first tried a USB to mini USB cable. This all fits nicely BUT when powered up the satnav goes into data mode (as when connected to a computer for programmiming it). OK so I bought a Garmin charger with 2mtr lead. Plugged that into the cig. lighter - same thing. It goes into data mode. Does anybody know how I can find a cable long enough that will simply keep it charged without sending into data mode? Grrrr!

Wyn

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just use an extension cable from the 12v socket which will have another 12v socket on the end.

Mike

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Work backwards, and get one of those three plug extension cig lighter sockets, which you can mount nearer to the Garmin.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Strange you should mention this.....

My new tomtom wont connect to my laptop or PC if its sat on its screen mount.
The supply wire is fitted to the mount and the tomtom has a multi pin socket which sits in a corresponding plug on the mount.

To connect to my laptop i have to unplug the lead from the mount, or use a separate usb cable, and plug in directly.

Its probably the way the internal connection within the mount is wired....only a minimum number of pins connected to allow charging, whereas the actual USB lead is fully wired.

So, you may need a specific USB lead.

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Strange you should mention this.....

My new tomtom wont connect to my laptop or PC if its sat on its screen mount.
The supply wire is fitted to the mount and the tomtom has a multi pin socket which sits in a corresponding plug on the mount.

To connect to my laptop i have to unplug the lead from the mount, or use a separate usb cable, and plug in directly.

Its probably the way the internal connection within the mount is wired....only a minimum number of pins connected to allow charging, whereas the actual USB lead is fully wired.

So, you may need a specific USB lead.
Yes, I'm sure that's the answer but I don't know how to work out which lead to get. When I ask in the shops that sell these things I get a pimply youth who shrugs his shoulders. When I send for them online they don't do as I need. It's so frustrating.

Wyn

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Work backwards, and get one of those three plug extension cig lighter sockets, which you can mount nearer to the Garmin.

Broken Link Removed
Yes, I have one of those already but if I mount that so the short cable will reach I then have an even bigger 'thing' in the way on the dash. It's very frustrating. It's partly to do with the shape of the dashboard which doesn't really have any suitable place to attatch anything.

Wyn

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
OK then, just use a single cable extension, and stuff the spare cable into the glove box.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know what you mean.....
I needed a second mount and looking on ebay and amazon there were quite a few at reasonable prices......but something made me rethink and i paid £38 via amazon for a genuine tomtom branded mount.
Too many niggling concerns about the mount plug and USB socket in the non genuine ones.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
take a razor blade or small craft knife and put a slit in the long usb cable. this will let you get at the internal wires. normally you need to cut the white and green data wires, just leaving red and black for power. then close the wire with some tape

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
take a razor blade or small craft knife and put a slit in the long usb cable. this will let you get at the internal wires. normally you need to cut the white and green data wires, just leaving red and black for power. then close the wire with some tape
Aha! Now that sounds like the kind of solution I need. There is obviously a difference in how they are wired and this must be it. That being the case it makes me wonder what's going on with the cig. lighter cables as presumably they are just live and neutral. Puzzling.
Thanks Big1

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back