Satillite system or internet / 4G streaming? (3 Viewers)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I have a neovox aerial at the moment which works well in populated areas - but much of the time we are in areas with poor mobile or TV signal (either Scotland west coast or alps) - so I am toying with a Snipe 3 system - for freeview Sat - I have a Cello Traveller TV with a freeview Sat tuner in it - but I am trying to work out whether it is worth fitting a sat system (at say £600) would be better value / more useful than a mifi system for the van in the med term?

any views / opinions? would you fit a Sat system nowadays? or go for mifi / mobile streaming?
ta

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have chosen not install any terrestrial or satalite tv equipment on my new Morelo. Instead have opted for a roof LTE and WiFi antenna (separate on motorised lifting motors). These with a Netgear Nighthawk M1, Ubiquiti Bullet and Vodafone 100gb sim proved very successful on my Flair at the end of last year and this year taking it back to Germany, plus bringing the Morelo home. Also just installed a conventional HD PC monitor with a HDMI splitter with a Firefox TV box and a Chromcast dongle. With PLEX on my home server I can get live TV on the van or access my recorded library, and of course Netflix and Prime.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a Snipe 2, it works well for the £700 it cost, I also have a roof mounted 4G aerial & Mifi also an Android TV box, we use both.
If the Snipe packs up or we buy another van I wouldn't bother with a sat system, even £700 buys a lot of data, think how much data you could get for the price of an Oyster.

If you do go for the Snipe buy a decent tuner I use an Icecrypt the Cello one is naf. The Cello one takes about 25min to tune to a sat and when you change sats it loses all info including favourites. With the Icecrypt it retains all the info on sats you have tuned to, although no longer made they are still available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just about to stick a Snipe 2 on the roof of our motorhome (ex another Funster(y)).
For around £300, the time I add on the adhesive and other bits and bobs, think it's worth it.
The day to day running costs are minimal whereas a contract for sufficient data could add up to a similar sum per annum.
Having said that, I'm a Luddite and get a credit for the £5 worth of data I prepay for every month the following month!:whistle2:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We have a SatFi Satellite Dome and an External MiFi Aerial. Whilst we still use both, we are finding that with NowTV and Amazon Prime, we are using the Sat less and less, where it has become the worlds most expensive Radio aerial. If I had the choice again and / or when we change the MH, I wouldn't bother with Sat anymore. We even replaced out Terestial Aerial with the MiFi.

Last edited:

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi we use a Amazon firestick now with Virginmedia to go installed on it on our 3 MIFI router, never had any trouble so far getting a good 4G Signal but I have got a external Ariel for the router if we get any problems with signal

Phil

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we use a Amazon firestick now with Virginmedia to go installed on it on our 3 MIFI router, never had any trouble so far getting a good 4G Signal but I have got a external Ariel for the router if we get any problems with signal

Phil

Can you use the firestick on 12v

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
We have an Oyster Vision satellite on our van but would not install on another van one as we very rarely use it. Streaming onto an ipad using our phone as a hotspot is our preferred option. Watching 'what we want when we want' rather than being tied to the terrestrial schedules.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We have the oyster cytrax system which stands up to the strong winds we get up here on the west coast. As a back up I also carry the avtex digital aerial and have 30gb on both my phone and ipad contracts for streaming. Use the satellite system specifically as the tuner doesn't need tuned every time we set up. We used to take a sky box away with us but I ended the contract as it was getting ridiculous on cost and just use freesat now, We stream Amazon Prime and Netflix when we get a good signal if we fancy a film or a boxset but find this very sporadic once you get off the main routes and population centers. As we stay just outside Glasgow we tend to go North a lot and find the satellite dish gives us the most success if we fancy a bit of telly, HTH.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019

Phil
Excuse my ignorance on this stuff. We have Virgin to Go and I use it on my mobile but how do you install it onto a fire stick?

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi AG 2602,
You can install Virgin TV to GO by installing APPS2FIRE and the app Mouse toggle for fire from the play store on to your phone. Once have done that you need to change a setting on the Fire stick, turn on ADB debugging this will then let you do what they call side load the Virgin TV and the Mouse toggle app to the Apps on the fire stick. Once you have done this you can then open the Virgin app on the fire stick you will need the mouse toggle app to navigate around the Virgin TV app.

If you have any problems let me know and I will take some screen shoots to show how its done

Phil

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our Oyster Sat system has been virtually un-used this trip....no more choosing a spot to get a signal.....been putting the van in the shade when needed.
Streaming via mobile data has provided all we need....either watching the news on the telephone or using Firestick to provide the bigger picture on the Avtex.....Hotspot provided by the smartphone, data via Vodafone.....such a simple way which is proving to be our best solution just now....I suppose an external 4G Ariel would improve poor signals....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just travelled 10 weeks throughout France,Spain and Portugal using tethered internet from my phone to MacBook to TV,,,managed to receive uk channels everywhere through Film on TV..also received I.player and other catch up..Brilliant.BUSBY:D:D

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Hi AG 2602,
You can install Virgin TV to GO by installing APPS2FIRE and the app Mouse toggle for fire from the play store on to your phone. Once have done that you need to change a setting on the Fire stick, turn on ADB debugging this will then let you do what they call side load the Virgin TV and the Mouse toggle app to the Apps on the fire stick. Once you have done this you can then open the Virgin app on the fire stick you will need the mouse toggle app to navigate around the Virgin TV app.

If you have any problems let me know and I will take some screen shoots to show how its done

Phil
Thanks Phil I’ll give it a go. One more thing do you know if the same procedure applies if I try and install it on a Now TV stick? Thanks again.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi, I think that you can sideload onto NOW TV stick but I don't have any details how to do it

Phil

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Phil

I have an IPHONE and I can find the mouse toggle on Apps store but not APPS2FIRE?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We have a snipe 2 .. but hardly ever use it.. we tend to use an amazon fire stick and data from my iPhone.
Never had an issue yet...
If I brought another motorhome I would not bother with satellite

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi for the iPhone you need to use Cetusplay, if look on youtube there is a video called"how to use an IPHONE to install Apps to amazon fire stick

Phil

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
so this system for Mifi - seems to have got good reviews?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Surprised John DBK not chipped in as he has fitted a 4G system to the roof of his Murvi(?) PVC and says good things about it. Think he mentioned that one but not sure if that's what he fitted.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
This is the system I fitted in place of the Status aerial. It is very good coupled with the Vodafone 100Gb deal and streaming using both the Now TV stick and the Amazon Firestick. We are always out in the New Forest where the phone / data signal is either nothing or "Edge" at best. With this set up we have full coverage and haven't had any buffering on either device. Using a MiFi frees up your phone and you don't have to angle or wedge the phone in the skylight handles to get a good signal.:LOL::LOL:(y)

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi We have the MIFI E5577 with out the external aerial and so far not had a problems getting a good 4G signal, but are off to Spain late this and I have got a couple of temp aerials, so going to see how we get on before paying out the cost for a fixed one

Phil

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Hi for the iPhone you need to use Cetusplay, if look on youtube there is a video called"how to use an IPHONE to install Apps to amazon fire stick

Phil
Thanks again Phil much appreciated I’ll give it a blast when I get a minute and let you know how I get on?

Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010

Phil
Hi Phil

Sorry to jump in on this thread, also trying to install virgin media tv Go onto fire stick.

I’ve got Cetusplay installed and working and can install other apps onto the Firestick, but can’t find the Virgin media app in the app list. Any ideas?
Thanks

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi have you got the Virgin TV to Go APP installed on your phone??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi We have the MIFI E5577 with out the external aerial and so far not had a problems getting a good 4G signal, but are off to Spain late this and I have got a couple of temp aerials, so going to see how we get on before paying out the cost for a fixed one

Phil
Managed to watch tv all over France,Spain and Portugal this spring including catch up using my Vodaphone 100 gb on my Samsung and Film on tv.BUSBY.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi Jimbob45, Installed by Android using APPS2FIRE

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun