Satillite system or internet / 4G streaming? (1 Viewer)

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
I have a neovox aerial at the moment which works well in populated areas - but much of the time we are in areas with poor mobile or TV signal (either Scotland west coast or alps) - so I am toying with a Snipe 3 system - for freeview Sat - I have a Cello Traveller TV with a freeview Sat tuner in it - but I am trying to work out whether it is worth fitting a sat system (at say ÂŁ600) would be better value / more useful than a mifi system for the van in the med term?

any views / opinions? would you fit a Sat system nowadays? or go for mifi / mobile streaming?
ta
Unlimited data for a tenner a month that you can run a fire stick with Netflix, Disney, BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 and several hundred thousand films all available at the click of a button whenever you're ready? Or a sattelite. It's a no brainer I think.

Here's a couple of videos I did on the subject -

Next video with the installation and the absolutely amazing power of this system is going up this Monday at 7:30pm

Personally, I'd never buy a satellite system today.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Can you use the firestick on 12v
Yes you can! :)

You don't even need a separate 12v socket to plug it in. It all works off your telly (presuming you have a flat screen telly)

I'm doing a video about this when I get back off holiday as I've had quite a few questions about it.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Next video is up -

It's absolutely amazing. We've been watching telly with it and running four tablets all downloading and uploading with absolutely no lag.

As much as I enjoyed the sat TV you just can't do all of this with a sattelite system.

I'm really curious to see what Oyster are going to do to stay current. They might have something amazing up their sleeve. If they have, they're leaving it a bit late to reveal it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Next video is up -

It's absolutely amazing. We've been watching telly with it and running four tablets all downloading and uploading with absolutely no lag.

As much as I enjoyed the sat TV you just can't do all of this with a sattelite system.

I'm really curious to see what Oyster are going to do to stay current. They might have something amazing up their sleeve. If they have, they're leaving it a bit late to reveal it.

what about areas where the phone signal is weak or non existent
I’m just back from the Jura region in France and in many locations the phone signal was very poor often no 4G and in a few locations zilch

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
what about areas where the phone signal is weak or non existent
I’m just back from the Jura region in France and in many locations the phone signal was very poor often no 4G and in a few locations zilch
I hear what you're saying but you need to think forward a little bit. I'm not talking decades, I'm thinking months or maybe a year.

5G is being rolled out around Europe and the rest of the world. From a provider point of view (EE, 3, Vodaphone etc etc) 5G is incredibly cheap. They install little boxes everywhere instead of hulking great big power antenna with huge outlays and manpower. 5G is a little box no bigger than a woman's handbag. It's cheap to install and they'll be everywhere and I do mean EVERYWHERE!

3 will automatically give you 5G if it's available in the area at no extra cost.

I can't stress this enough - we are living through a technological advancement last seen between sending messages by telegram and the telephone. Only difference is, this is going to happen so quick you won't even remember 3G

I will bet right now a mobile phone company will have a signal in Mnt Everest within 24 months and somebody will livestream their ascent live to the world on their phone.

Would I invest several thousand pounds in a satellite system? Yes, if I owned a boat. On land? No chance

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
I should probably say, I don't hate sattelite TV systems or any of the companies. I've enjoyed using my old Oyster system and me and Karen have had many a cosy evening cuddled up in the sofa in the depths of winter hearing the dish wirr and click before settling down to watch a film. My old Oyster has done bloomin' good service but everything comes to an end eventually.

Maybe this new technology is taking something away from the spirit of wild camping and being free?

I suppose tenters would say something similar about us lazy motorhomers and we're not truly camping. Horses for courses?

I like home comforts. I like (and need) internet to run my business and keep my wife and kids happy!

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
am I correct in thinking the external Aerial and Huawei router are 4G LTE - how future proof are they (to future 5G upgrades) and how will the US and possible UK ban on Huawei equipment? thinking longterm hardware investment and keeping it updated / secure etc...

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
am I correct in thinking the external Aerial and Huawei router are 4G LTE - how future proof are they (to future 5G upgrades) and how will the US and possible UK ban on Huawei equipment? thinking longterm hardware investment and keeping it updated / secure etc...
The trade war is America versus China. Huawei is Chinese. America doesn't want to ban them, they want to tax them (on imports)

America is trying to put pressure on Europe to follow America to force all Chinese companies (not just Huawei) to bow to America or be kicked out of our markets. Spain already told America to go &--+& themselves and is installing a 5G network with Huawei hardware.

America is saying the Chinese will spy on us through their hardware. But America has a huge problem because they've been spying on us with Facebook and Apple so really don't have the right to use that line.. think wikikeaks and Bradley Manning -

4G isn't going away. It will still exist for a long time (just as 3G still exists now). As more people switch to 5G the pressure is taken off 4G....so when you're sat in a field with two thousand people you can't get a signal doesn't mean there isn't a signal, it just means it's being overwhelmed with demand. 5G will take away that pressure.

As for how future proof the kit I bought is, I suppose the best thing to do is ask Motorhomewifi.com they're nice genuine people and will give you the best advice.

I know 4G is all I need and it was worth investing in the system because as more people move to 5G the 4G network will be better.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We went for an Oyster V. Great bit of kit provided it's not too windy, not too wet, there are no trees near it and it doesn't get stuck in the upright position! Draw your own conclusions from that!

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
We went for an Oyster V. Great bit of kit provided it's not too windy, not too wet, there are no trees near it and it doesn't get stuck in the upright position! Draw your own conclusions from that!
Lol.....I've been there!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't worry about 5G for the moment as all the initial roll out of 5G is urban based. Given they haven't got even 4G to everywhere in the UK yet don't hold your breath on seeing 5G in a remote Scottish glen for a while - or by the coast in Devon or Cornwall. :)

But you can watch iPlayer on 3G so the main challenge is getting a good signal in marginal areas, which is where the external MH antennas come into their own. Even then you won't get a perfect signal everywhere but in 99% of locations you can in my experience. I've used my Poynting antenna in almost all of the locations in mainland Europe shown by red dots on this map. The Scottish dots are pre-Poynting. Ignore the dot in the Baltic - that's Google's way of saying "Europe". :)

RJL-Google-Timeline-2015.png

When 5G becomes more widespread and it becomes worth changing the kit in the MH it will be both the antenna and the router/MiFi which will need changing. Some images of 5G antenna are in this link - they have a lot of connections. :)

Last edited:

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
I wouldn't worry about 5G for the moment as all the initial roll out of 5G is urban based. Given they haven't got even 4G to everywhere in the UK yet don't hold your breath on seeing 5G in a remote Scottish glen for a while - or by the coast in Devon or Cornwall. :)

But you can watch iPlayer on 3G so the main challenge is getting a good signal in marginal areas, which is where the external MH antennas come into their own. Even then you won't get a perfect signal everywhere but in 99% of locations you can in my experience.

When 5G becomes more widespread and it becomes worth changing the kit in the MH it will be both the antenna and the router/MiFi which will need changing. Some images of 5G antenna are in this link - they have a lot of connections. :)

You're right, but it gets more interesting than that.
2G, 3G and 4G used to be like single track lanes all happily chugging along on their own. With 5G it turns 3, 4 and 5G into one huge motorway (3 lanes but all able to move around slower moving traffic) and at faster speeds. They're also able to 'change lanes' from 3G to 5G (as an example) after the initial signal handshake.

So you could 'handshake' in the Highlands on 3G and be routed to the fast lane (5G) while still showing 3G.

So you don't actually need 5G to get 5G or it's benefits. It's going to happen without us noticing or paying for 5G.

It does seem a bit like voodoo what they're doing and what the technology can do!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back