Satellite (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Our new Carthago has a fancy satellite system fitted, and a really stupid place for the tv. Before I get a new one fitted, I thought I’d see what sort of set up other people use. I have only the dimmest idea of how normal telly works, these days - the last time I had one, you put up an ariel, so I don't know what kind of boxes you need.

I have had no luck finding a Smart 12v tv. I assume they are not available. We have some old DVDs, but now stream Amazon Prime or Netflix at home exclusively. We don’t watch live tv, or bbc iplayer do we don’t have (or need) a licence.

I’m pondering buying a cheap laptop instead. That will allow us to upload the DVDs we have and download more content, but still watch live streaming when available, with flexibility around power sources. I will probably get a Windows one, which will be a learning curve, but Apple products are not designed to work without cloud access, much as I love them generally. Also, a MacBook would be one bloody expensive telly substitute! It will need stowing, rather than being fixed which I generally try to avoid, but given the layout I can’t see much opportunity for fixing a tv into the lounge area anyway.

I’m wondering about satellite connectivity vs 4g, and whether data will be fast enough in France and Italy. I’m looking for an unlimited data plan of some sort, ideally that I can just activate when we are away, rather than year round, and whether I need some sort of MiFi/WiFi doodah to make it work with things that are not TVs for streaming.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Cello do a good value 12v smart tv. Just bought one for £180. Better than the Avtex pro I returned.

Edit

Plug usb hard drive for films. Connectivity via mi fi/ phones/wi fi. Netflix etc on the android tv. Plugged fire stick into it. Satellite plugged in to. Excellent value for money.

Upvote 0

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
To be able to stream TV via the internet, you need two things - a good signal and a good data plan.

You may find that the places you travel to have good cellular reception, but if that is not the case a 4G antenna would improve that signal and make it more reliable/dependable. It's a question if paying that premium to prevent the issue occurring (belts and braces) or you're happy to compromise on occasion where the signal may be more.

In terms of a data plan, Unlimited for European use doesn't exist I'm afraid. The only provider not to limit you for the amount of data abroad and anecdotally not limit you on time abroad is Vodafone. They offer SIM's from 80-100GB of data - recently a number of funsters grabbed 100GB on a 12 month contract for £20pm, if you don't mind messing about with cashback redemption you can get the same tariff for £13pm from mobiles.co.uk.

Vodafone also allow you to roam onto any network and again anecdotally it seems when in Europe you are assigned a UK IP address meaning UK TV streaming sites work like at home. I'm in Portugal for a few days with no issue or need to use a VPN to disguise my location presently.

100GB could be 300+ hours of Netflix at low quality, although realistically more like 100+ hours at standard quality:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

In terms of making a TV 'smart' I'm a big fan of Amazon firesticks (but not necessarily Amazon!) as they just 'work' and can use Netflix and most of the main TV apps too.

Hope that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We have both satellite and 4G via an external Antennae and MiFi unit with Amazon Fire Stick both hooked up to a standard Vision Plus TV. If we were to start again I would bin the satellite in a heart beat. We initially thought that the Grandchildren would like to watch TV when away, but everything on TV is on the Firestick via youtube or Prime.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Any IPTV box will turn any tv into a smart tv.

You can can wire it into 12v, with an adapter, I think they run on 5v.

Download an app such as Mobdro for live tv, all U.K. channels inc sky as well as thousands of others, all free.
Other apps can stream movies and box sets on demand. ( I use Ororo.tv for a small annual fee, way less than Netflix etc)
I have this box, it’s fast, there are cheaper ones available. If you get one, the qwerty keyboard makes it simple.
I had this rigged up in my Carthago and never used the satellite, but then I have unlimited Wi-Fi in Portugal for €1 per day, well fast enough to stream unlimited tv, and before I used my Vodafone contract phone as a hotspot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Cello do a good value 12v smart tv. Just bought one for £180. Better than the Avtex pro I returned.

Edit

Plug usb hard drive for films. Connectivity via mi fi/ phones/wi fi. Netflix etc on the android tv. Plugged fire stick into it. Satellite plugged in to. Excellent value for money.

Would you happen to know whether you can mirror the signal from a android phone to this TV
I have sky sports on my phone and a currently mirror this to a Samsung smart tv

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I often download NETFLIX movies from the internet to my laptop and watch them later offline in the MH in Full HD quality. Great when you're flying too.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Would you happen to know whether you can mirror the signal from a android phone to this TV
I have sky sports on my phone and a currently mirror this to a Samsung smart tv
If it can't you can buy Chromecast dongles.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Another vote for a firestick with a Vodafone 100GB data plan. Combined with DVDs, free site WiFi we watched as much tv as we wanted whilst away in France & Spain for three months. We had a satellite on our last van, but wouldn’t entertain it now, as data and WiFi are now so much better. You can get a lot of data for the cost of a satellite system! You can also mirror from a phone or laptop to a firestick if you need to.

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi we have freesat but was not happy with the channels that we could get. So looked at what options we could get and the best one that we have found for us is Amazon Fire Stick as I have Netflix and my Son has an Amazon Prime account, but I still want to be able to watch MotoGP and WSB while away from Home, as we have Virginmedia at Home I have now been able to get Virgin TV Go app onto the Fire Stick so happy days, Just now need to see how much data we will need currently on 40Gbt from 3 WIFI.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I’m not sure your question was answered.

If you do not watch live tv and do not watch bbc iplayer you do not need a tv license.

:D

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
You must have a TV Licence if you:

• watch or record programmes on a TV, computer or other device as they’re broadcast
  • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand
You do not need a TV Licence to watch:

• non-BBC programmes on online catch-up services
full details at https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I’m not sure your question was answered.

If you do not watch live tv and do not watch bbc iplayer you do not need a tv license.

:D

Apologies, that was a typo. It should read SO we don’t need a licence, not do we need a licence.

Interesting that people seem to use 4g data, rather than satellite. Perhaps I’ll get the satellite removed after all, then. My phone is with EE and has 80 gb of data monthly (although it cost a fortune with EE). It does look like you can still get unlimited data deals, and if data roaming charges have been scrapped in the eu, wouldn’t that effectively mean unlimited data, or is eu use specifically restricted on unlimited data?

I think a pay as you go data will suit us better. I’m happy to give my daughter a certain amount of data to use, and when she’s used it up on Netflix, it’s gone. But I will still need some for satnav etc, so we'll need some way to protect my bit!

Also, looks like I missed a smart tv, which would work just fine for us. Thank you for the advice.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
All are limited in EU except Vodafone. They do a 50gb monthly plan which might suit, or you can have more than one 3 data sim, and change them over when the 19gb is up. If you don’t register them this works (I’ve tried it!).

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ps don’t need data for satnav if you use co pilot caravan (about £40 I think) and you can download all maps to use offline.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Ps don’t need data for satnav if you use co pilot caravan (about £40 I think) and you can download all maps to use offline.

That’s good to know. At least we won’t get lost!

I’ve just had confirmation from Smarty that their data deals are not restricted abroad. They do a sim only, 30 day contract, cancel anytime unlimited data deal for £30.

I’ve emailed back saying 'are you sure?' I’d cheerfully swap to Vodafone, but I’m locked into my deal for another year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Next question is how do you actually download to usb or harddrive. (This May be obvious when you plug the thing in, I download to my iPad, and there is no file management there). Do you need anything on the tv to make it all work there - how do you access it from the telly?

This really seems unnecessarily complex sometimes. Perhaps I should just take a book!

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
All are limited in EU except Vodafone. They do a 50gb monthly plan which might suit, or you can have more than one 3 data sim, and change them over when the 19gb is up. If you don’t register them this works (I’ve tried it!).

I thought someone had posted up 3 had changed their usage policy for Europe.

Or I may of dreamt it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just use AirPlay which is Apple and a HDMI WiFi dongle for the Tv. I use a Samsung Tablet that has got a Netflix App and have downloaded 100 episodes of various bits and pieces. You cannot download Netflix to a USB stick they are not that daft. Their software hides the downloads. Works by creating a local network. Means you don’t need a smart tv as the device you are using streams it. Loads of dongles on Amazon for about £20 just pick one that does AirPlay or buy the Apple one.

We are down in Devon at the moment about a mile inland from the sea and you certainly would not be able to stream anything here we cannot get reliable 3G. Spain was better miles from anywhere and 3G no problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
You cannot download Netflix to a USB stick they are not that daft. Their software hides the downloads. Works by creating a local network. Means you don’t need a smart tv as the device you are using streams it. Loads of dongles on Amazon for about £20 just pick one that does AirPlay or buy the Apple one.

Current telly doesn’t have an hdmi port (although it does have a USB port). If I can’t download to a usb, can I download to a laptop? We will need something for the times when we can't stream, and the iPad doesn’t store enough for longer trips.

We’re keeping the current tv/dvd, and mounting it on the rear bed for herself, so she will have DVDs and streaming on her iPad. But I won’t be able to watch it in the lounge of an evening. It’s quite a novelty for me, as I don’t watch at home, and I can’t go out of an evening once she’s in bed.

Upvote 0

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294

I have recently signed up for 60 gb with O2 pacifically to stream tv in my MH abroad , they assured me I could use the full 60gb abroad . Do you think they have conned me do I need to go back to the shop and have it out with them before my next trip abroad ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi No not the fire stick, are you using your Phone as a Hot spot then??

Upvote 0

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Sorry Phill not to clued up on all this but yes I use the phone as a hot spot /router then connect the fire stick to it .

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi Howard that's OK, we use a WIFI Dongle in our MH so we can connect up to 10 devices to it, O2 SIMS that go in Phones will work out side the UK, but SIMS they provide for their WIFI Dongle(Huawei) will only work in the UK

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have recently signed up for 60 gb with O2 pacifically to stream tv in my MH abroad , they assured me I could use the full 60gb abroad . Do you think they have conned me do I need to go back to the shop and have it out with them before my next trip abroad ?
@Minxy Girl knows about this sort of thing I think!

Upvote 0

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Current telly doesn’t have an hdmi port (although it does have a USB port). If I can’t download to a usb, can I download to a laptop? We will need something for the times when we can't stream, and the iPad doesn’t store enough for longer trips.

We’re keeping the current tv/dvd, and mounting it on the rear bed for herself, so she will have DVDs and streaming on her iPad. But I won’t be able to watch it in the lounge of an evening. It’s quite a novelty for me, as I don’t watch at home, and I can’t go out of an evening once she’s in bed.

Don’t know about your particular telly but the one I linked to above has a straight forward menu structure when plugging in the usb hard drive that you just navigate with the remote from usb source. File formats I know work are .mkv and .mp4.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013

Edit

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back