Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anyone had any thing to do with one of these
Link Removed
Are they any good
Or any advice welcome , dont want to spend loads as we dont watch much tv in the van but this looks handy for europe if its raining :Smile:
Thanks

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I'm no expert! But have been considering options for Europe. Problems seem to be:

Where in Europe you planto go, Spain and Portugal will require around 120 dish

Changes due to Astra footprint. May become narrower in future and result in no or poor reception further from UK

I'm at Peterborough show this week so will let you know if I can get better information for you.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Anyone had any thing to do with one of these
Link Removed
Are they any good
Or any advice welcome , dont want to spend loads as we dont watch much tv in the van but this looks handy for europe if its raining :Smile:
Thanks

A portable dish on a tripod will give a perfect picture however this one is very expensive.....
I used to use an old sky dish on a tripod. The tripod cost me £15.
A sat box can be bought for £20 or £30, a 12V HD Box for £50. I used an old sky Box so total cost to me for this type of system was £20.

Without the box you can buy this dish, tripod, quad LNB and cables with connectors for £40.
Link Removed

add a Link Removedbox

Total cost for this system £65... If you want a signal meter you can buy one for a couple of pounds, but after a few practices you will not need one....
As to how far south in Europe you can receive a signal will primarily depend on the dish with whatever system you buy.

We now have a Road Pro Dome on the roof. Perfect on a rainy day, as at the press of a button its working within 30 seconds, without faffing about in the rain. More expensive of course.

::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Pretty sure this is identical to a recently purchased set-up - bought from a local retailer rather than e-bay, was listed at the same price but got £30 discount. Haven't tried it properly yet but it seems OK apart from a few teething troubles. The parent company (if it is the same unit) have a very good helpline and were most helpful with initial setup. One or two niggles - the storage bag zips failed, that has been replaced free of charge, the retaining clip that secures the arm in its socket on the dish has vanished, though it seems fairly secure without it, and the sat receiver unit seems a bit flimsy. The satellite dish and tripod, however, are really well made and solid. The easyfind system works well - there's a light on the transponder unit (on the end of the arm that fits to the dish) which turns amber then green when you're on the satellite. All in all I'm reasonably satisfied with it, though as I say it hasn't had a real trial "in the wild" as yet.

Hope this helps ::bigsmile:

Scarrow

Free Member
Feb 23, 2012
Crawley Down, Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
18th August 2012
I have one very similar to the one on the link. The price seems slightly less than what I paid. This company claims “NOW WITH EASYFIND! The amazing new system to help you get a satellite lock in seconds”:ROFLMAO: Well that is a slightly bold claim. It’s quite a delicate operation locking onto a satellite even with the ‘easyfind’ light system. But considering the cost difference between having a fixed self seeking mounted dish and the one on the link, it’s a very good cost saving alternative option.:thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Edit:::

Actually for a 80cm dish with the Easy-Find LNB and compatible receiver it's not a bad deal. It saves arsing around with one of those squealing sat-finder boxes.

I too have moved to an automatic roof mounted system. Which reminds me I must sell my old kit on the MHF classifieds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
actully found a cheaper one now , only 65cm though but it is only up the road might get better deal for cash:Smile:
Link Removed

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
this is only £75 Satellite Suitcase
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/27728985/667369127/Satellite-Suitcase/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:13315%7Ccat:27728985%7Cprd:27728985&kw={keyword}
works fine in uk france and parts of spain :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back