Free Member
Mar 23, 2009
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Has anyone got a good compass for aligning roof mounted dish ? The one that came with my dish is useless.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i know what you mean.....bin it and get a good one from an outdoor/orienteering shop....Millets or similar sell 'em.:thumb:

what dish do you have?

by the way....just noticed its your first post so welcome to the fun

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
If you have a watch or clock with hands on it you can always use that to find south Link Removed
or even easier just look at the vans around you & see which way they are pointing :RollEyes:.

I can usually get my cheap suitcase type dish up & running while some of these automatic ones are spinning backwards & forwards :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
Has anyone got a good compass for aligning roof mounted dish ? The one that came with my dish is useless.

I had trouble with my compass until I realised that I needed to be outdoors to take readings as the compass was being affected with the interior of the van EMFs etc . Take the compass outside well away from other vans and even the cheapest compass should work . As P.J. says the Maxview is easy to use but if you have a receiver with signal strenght meter you won't even need a compass.:thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I have used numerous compasses but none will work anywhere near the van, they always point north south along the length of the van. So I walk away from the van, take a reading, lay a stick or something along the line, then use that for a guide. Usually though I just guess.

Ralph

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you have a watch or clock with hands on it you can always use that to find south Link Removed
or even easier just look at the vans around you & see which way they are pointing :RollEyes:.

I can usually get my cheap suitcase type dish up & running while some of these automatic ones are spinning backwards & forwards :Eeek:

The trouble is looking at the vans around you (unless in England) can be miss-leading..I live in France and while we motorhome in France my wife watches English TV.. We are in a motorhome with French number plates on!!! and if you see the ammount of FRENCH motorhomers look at mine and try to set there tv up to it, the satelite dish gets dizzy going around and back to the same spot in the end they wind the dish back down and give up unless I say to them we are watching uk tv then a big smile comes on there faces and there arms are all over the place. I use a good compass

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I bought a digital compass off E-Bay £14 inc p&p. It also doubles as a inside and ouside thermometer. You velcro it to the dash drive arround in a big circle and it calibrates itself even though it is inside the M/H.

Andy

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I bought a digital compass off E-Bay £14 inc p&p. It also doubles as a inside and ouside thermometer. You velcro it to the dash drive arround in a big circle and it calibrates itself even though it is inside the M/H.

Andy

My digital compass didn't work in the van either, although I never noticed calibration instructions.

Ralph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back