satellite tv reception southern spain (1 Viewer)

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hi all, what's the current position on satellite tv reception in the south of Spain? I know there was much debate as to how it might be affected by changes, but wondered how it had worked out in practice?
cheers
Dai

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Simples......................... forget it.

Joking aside unless you have a 2.4mtr dish you will only get some of sky's own channels ( with 80cm dish ) with a sub card and NO BBC ITV etc.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Simples......................... forget it.

Joking aside unless you have a 2.4mtr dish you will only get some of sky's own channels ( with 80cm dish ) with a sub card and NO BBC ITV etc.
Are you quoting from experience or just guessing.
Ps just noticed your Avatar so have things changed from last March when a 1.6 m dish was working okay

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Are you quoting from experience or just guessing.
Ps just noticed your Avatar so have things changed from last March when a 1.6 m dish was working okay

Mike

Mike, with a 1.6m dish depending where you are you ( but things did change when they moved all the channels to Astra 2E ) may work and I say may get a BBC channel, but I doubt it. I live in the Murcia area in land about 25km form Torrevieja or 50km from Alicante and can use my MH system to get sky1 sky sports etc, but no change of any BBC or ITV channels at all. At home we have a 1.9m dish on the roof and get them all, however at certain times of the day some channels drop out.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Mike, with a 1.6m dish depending where you are you may and I say may get a BBC channel, but I doubt it. I live in the Murcia area in land about 25km form Torrevieja or 50km from Alicante and can use my MH system to get sky1 sky sports etc, but no change of any BBC or ITV channels at all. At home we have a 1.9m dish on the roof and get them all, however at certain times of the day some channels drop out.
Thanks for the info. It was not far from you at La Manga that we used a 1.6 m dish but only after we changed the LNB for a better one.
Will be back there in November so we will have to see what we can do. Could be limited to Filmon through the Internet.

Mike

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Thanks for the info. It was not far from you at La Manga that we used a 1.6 m dish but only after we changed the LNB for a better one.
Will be back there in November so we will have to see what we can do. Could be limited to Filmon through the Internet.

Mike

Mike, you might be a lucky person and only need the LNB realigned as many have done here and you will get some BBC channels. Our friends live not far from La Manga and have a 1.8m dish and it work.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
This is a subject that has gone on for months. Paul Jackson of satellite installation fame has just returned from an extensive tour of France and northern Spain to find out for his customers exactly what is available. I talked to him last week and the best you can expect from an 85cm dish is reception to Bezier. There are alternatives to give you more like subscribing to Sky or fitting digital but you would need a twin LNB etc etc. I'm sure we will survive without the repeats and ancient programmes shown now. If the TV is a drug then a Sky subscription could give you another few hundred channels of crap to wind through.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
This is a subject that has gone on for months. Paul Jackson of satellite installation fame has just returned from an extensive tour of France and northern Spain to find out for his customers exactly what is available. I talked to him last week and the best you can expect from an 85cm dish is reception to Bezier. There are alternatives to give you more like subscribing to Sky or fitting digital but you would need a twin LNB etc etc. I'm sure we will survive without the repeats and ancient programmes shown now. If the TV is a drug then a Sky subscription could give you another few hundred channels of crap to wind through.
ha ha we have sky at home so could take box....(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We just watch Spanish TV. Can watch films on Paramount and Disney by changing language in the menu. BUSBY

nodrogski

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Van conversion, ih Tor r
Exp
4 years
Living in southern Spain we get all channels BBC, ITV etc on a 1.4cm FAMAVAL dish, the only channel we don't get is BBC2 England, but we get BBC2 Wales and Ireland.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Friends of ours live near Marbella, cannot receive any thing on a 2.5 dish...BUSBY;)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
last winter i just picked up the spanish digi channels off a caravan ariel with booster . as been already said . if you play with the other language on remote you can get several english speaking programs .
you cant get corrie etc but there really are lots to pass the time away. Broken Link Removed
thats the one i used . forget satelites just use the digi.
i made a lead up for the booster to work off a cig lighter socket .
used a polaroid telly i bought in asda for 49quid . again that works off 12v . (its bright pink though)
but cheap telly and lots of programs to watch.

nodrogski

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Van conversion, ih Tor r
Exp
4 years
We watch Spanish Terrestrial TV in motorhome when away and most nights there is at least one film in dual (switchable)language Spanish and English.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
A site in Benidorm has coupling posts for co-ax cables that are foc but only 3 British stations are available.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Es no possible para me. Only around Torevieja did we get a signal after change over. Even then no BBC. that was on an 85cm Oyster Dish. Even then it was weather dependant.

It was Capbretton over the border into France that we started getting reception back.

As others have said Spanish TV is fine on DTB. and on some programs it is possible to English sound track.

Ericlumb

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Since1983
I know the situation in Southern Europe regarding sat reception but could someone tell me WHY most other countries can get their sat TV almost anywhere in spain but not us Brits well not without a severnty foot dish (slight exaggeration) please don't tell me in BBC JAGON I thought we were in all Europe together

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
IF you have internet access, get an IPTV box (around £45 on ebay) or download Kodi onto a laptop. With all the various add-ons you can watch everything, for free, everywhere, including all UK terrestrial channels, All Sky channels (inc movies and sports) as well as box sets, latest movies, and even ones still at the cinema!

I bought Broken Link Removed last week - does exactly what I said above!!! Using it in the UK, but will be taking it to Spain in a few weeks, where I know it will also work as many many ex-pats now use IPTV instead of sat.(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hi @BreweryDave , is that box easy to set up and use pal, I mean REALLY easy,
Kevin
Yup - plug it in, connect to the tv, go to the settings bit and put in your wifi code and away you go! Mine came with what's called 'add ons' already there - but it really is just like a laptop or smartphone - just follow the menus. Glad I got the remote keyboard with it.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Also - loads of YouTube videos showing how to add more apps!

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Not forgetting that you will need virtually unlimited data and a relatively high speed WiFi to watch live or streamed TV on the internet. TV burns around 2gbs of data, per half hour.
Most campsite WiFi wont give you anywhere near the speed you will need and will probably limit you to minimum data.
You can get a sim router and a unlimited data sim in Spain but it's expensive.

:cooler:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Here in Totana, Murcia we are fortunate if thats the right word to be able to receive most UK TV via a 1.35 m dish.
I asked a local government official why has most of Spain lost BBC etc, he replied, in Spanish I must add, the following.
Because some visitors have been coming to Spain in motorhomes towing cars behind them, they must be punished.
They first tried Gassing us, but that didnt work.
They have restricted the length of stay, moved campers on at some uneartly hour from beaches and other locations.
They have made us carry extra glasses (To see through, not drink from).
Forced us to carry an extra warning triangles.
Restricted the use of Electric bikes.
Fining speeding motorhomers.
All of this has up to now had little effect, on the offenders and non offenders, you all still come, towing or not towing.
Until NOW.
They have stopped the viewing of our favorite TV shows, thats the bottom line, The Spanish have done it as punishment for the few law breakers, his words not mine.
We have to take this punishment, the most severe to date, we could just watch Spanish TV, play cards or talk to our partners, how severe is that.
Thankyou Spanish government official, but if its legal in our country then it should be legal throughout, bring back UK TV for ALL.
The END. :LOL::p

Last edited:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Here in Totana, Murcia we are fortunate if thats the right word to be able to receive most UK TV via a 1.35 m dish.
I asked a local government official why has most of Spain lost BBC etc, he replied, in Spanish I must add, the following.
Because some visitors have been coming to Spain in motorhomes towing cars behind them, they must be punished.
They first tried Gassing us, but that didnt work.
They have restricted the length of stay, moved campers on at some uneartly hour from beaches and other locations.
They have made us carry extra glasses (To see through, not drink from).
Forced us to carry an extra warning triangles.
Restricted the use of Electric bikes.
Fining speeding motorhomers.
All of this has up to now had little effect, on the offenders and non offenders, you all still come, towing or not towing.
Until NOW.
They have stopped the viewing of our favorite TV shows, thats the bottom line, The Spanish have done it as punishment for the few law breakers, his words not mine.
We have to take this punishment, the most severe to date, we could just watch Spanish TV, play cards or talk to our partners, how severe is that.
Thankyou Spanish government official, but if its legal in our country then it should be legal throughout, bring back UK TV for ALL.
The END. :LOL::p

I've been telling everyone for years that this is what they were up to!
Would anyone believe me? No!!
Now I have it in black and white from the horses mouth!!!!!
Thanks for that!!!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Not forgetting that you will need virtually unlimited data and a relatively high speed WiFi to watch live or streamed TV on the internet.
Agreed - campsite wifi probably unsuitable.
However, just as a point of interest, whilst using mine in the UK I 'tether' my mobile phone (iphone with unlimited data on 3G) and whilst I have no idea whatsoever what download speeds you get via a phone, it works fine! (I am led to believe a minimum of 2mps is required for most streaming - whatever that means:rolleyes:)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Agreed - campsite wifi probably unsuitable.
However, just as a point of interest, whilst using mine in the UK I 'tether' my mobile phone (iphone with unlimited data on 3G) and whilst I have no idea whatsoever what download speeds you get via a phone, it works fine! (I am led to believe a minimum of 2mps is required for most streaming - whatever that means:rolleyes:)

The point though is that you won't be able to use the iPhone on 3g unlimited data in Spain or anywhere out of the UK for that matter.
I had a movistar 4g unlimited data sim in a router last winter using a Mag 254 with IPTV which is the way to go, if you can afford the €60 per month to Movistar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back