Satellite to Autotrail Media Pack (1 Viewer)

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Hi all,

Been doing a lot of reading on here about satellite systems, all of which has been very informative. However we've got a new Autotrail Chieftan G with one of these new fangled Media Packs with a drop down TV over the cab and I cant see how to connect from a Freesat or Sky box into the TV without taking the cab apart! I know the obvious answer would be to use the existing connection from the on board digi system but the input from the Status aerial and output to the TV are extremely difficult to get at. We've had the same problem on sites where there is no digital and have had to use an analoge booster cable from the leccy bollard direct into the separate TV we installed in the bedroom area.

Has anyone solved this or is there a simple answer and I'm just dim??!!:Eeek:

Bob

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi all,

Been doing a lot of reading on here about satellite systems, all of which has been very informative. However we've got a new Autotrail Chieftan G with one of these new fangled Media Packs with a drop down TV over the cab and I cant see how to connect from a Freesat or Sky box into the TV without taking the cab apart! I know the obvious answer would be to use the existing connection from the on board digi system but the input from the Status aerial and output to the TV are extremely difficult to get at. We've had the same problem on sites where there is no digital and have had to use an analoge booster cable from the leccy bollard direct into the separate TV we installed in the bedroom area.

Has anyone solved this or is there a simple answer and I'm just dim??!!:Eeek:

Bob
I collect my new Autotrail Comanche on Saturday which has the same media pack and drop down TV. I have had a camos satelite dome fitted and got the dealer to remove the freeview box and replace it with a FTA digital receiver. The status tv ariel will still remain although not connected to the drop down tv. In the bedroom there is a place to install another tv, with socket and ariel connection, and I assume that this is will still be connected to the status tv ariel. In theory then I should just have to re-locate the freeview box to the bedroom and connect it to the tv and hey presto. If the ariel socket in the bedroom is not wired in to the ariel then it will be a small matter of taking it to an appropriate dealer or a firm like Van Bitz to fit the necessary coax cable from the tv ariel to the tv socket in the bedroom. This way if either of us wants to watch different tv channels we can do so. I am not sure on your layout but would assume that there is also a secondary tv point in your van ?

irlamtrucker

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
stafford
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
we had an autotrail 840 with a drop down tele and a seperate 16" flat sceen tele at the back, we had an oyster sattelite fitted by "robert jackson" (he is from sheffield area, he is at most of the shows, he came to our house to fit the sattelite) he wired the system up so that we could watch both the tele's at the same time, but could only watch the same channel on both tele's. just took delivery of a new autotrail arapaho yesterday, delivered under trade plates to our house bacause i am not having it registered until 1/5/2010. a company called "leisuretech" from clithero, lancs, came down removed the dish etc from the 840 and will fit it to our new arapaho, wiring it so that we can have the sattelite channel on both the drop down tele and the 16" flat screen in the rear lounge, conversations i have had with them, leads me to believe they use the existing wiring harness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had an AT Scout and used a tv with built in Freeview in the rear,the TV socket WAS connected to the Status. Why not get a compact sat box from Roadpro,that wil fit in the cupboard.

OP
OP
bob and jules

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Many thanks to all, particularly the info about Leisuretech from Clitheroe as they're only down the road from us.

Good to know the problem isnt insurmountable, I thought there'd be a solution but not being a techie I couldnt figure it oyut for myself.

Many thanks, Bob

OP
OP
bob and jules

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Just a note to Big Momma,

Your rear extra tele socket is wired to your digital box so when your separate tele is tuned into your box you can view digital on it ( or presumably satellite if fitted ) Your DVD player in the dash stereo only plays thro the drop down TV however.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Just a note to Big Momma,

Your rear extra tele socket is wired to your digital box so when your separate tele is tuned into your box you can view digital on it ( or presumably satellite if fitted ) Your DVD player in the dash stereo only plays thro the drop down TV however.

Very many thanks for the info. Had it all explained to me on handover on Saturday, I must say it was the best handover I have ever received on collection. To my surprise they did not disconnect the freview box so this is still connected to the drop down TV (from the TV ariel) as well as the satelite. So if and when I get a TV for the rear bedroom I should be able to watch the freeview channels. having said that, the TV/Radio/DVD/CD/iPod all use the same speakers and there are two in the rear bedroom. It is possible to watch the drop down TV in the front and hear everything through the rear speakers, just an added little bonus really. Still reading the dozens of manuals and playing with everything and finding all sorts of brilliant bits and pieces.

sennen523

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Rhos-on-Sea, Conwy, North
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Started 2007.
Autotrail Media Pack Connections.

Hi Bob and jules, I will be collecting my Savannah next week and will have the same problem. I will want to connect my Satellite receiver to the output of the Freeview receiver to the dropdown monitor. The new Freeview receivers don't seem to have the usual Scart connection.
Just wondered how you have connected yours or does anyone know how to do this? My satellite receiver only has a Scart connections to TV/VCR.

Regards,
sennen523.

Manofvision

Free Member
Dec 1, 2008
Middlesex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Sennen

we expect to collect ours first week in July so if you have any issues to sort out please let us know. Also, our dealers are transferring our Camos Sat Dome to the new Van but not sure if they will cable it up to the front as we were expecting to install main TV in bedroom area - much more comfortable in evenings! - so if you get any info on how to cable tworads the front please let us also know.
Love to know how you find the Savannah when you get to grips with all the goodies.
regards
Tony

irlamtrucker

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
stafford
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
hi,
we had our sattelite fitted into the new arapaho last week at "leisure tech" they did a brilliant job, wired the sattelite into both the 15 inch drop down tele at the front and also our 15 inch flat screen/ dvd player in the rear lounge area, as stated in my previous post on this thread we can only watch the same channel on both tv's but really handy if we want to watch tele whilst eating in the dinnete. lesure tech had to take out the existing free view box and do a bit of rewiring in the cupboard where the tv box was fitted, they made a really tidy job (no wires or cables showing) can't recommend them highly enough. and did not cost an arm and leg either.

russ

rapido803f

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi All, I have a new cherokee with the media pack and have fitted my oyster satellite system to it. To do it you need a couple of sets of AV leads (the red white and yellow ones) an AV switch unit and a scart to av connector. I then did the following

Unscrewed the black box from the cupboard wall (only need to unscrew the two screws at the top), this then gives easy access to all the av leads that go in to the back of the unit

remove the red, yellow and white av leads labelled cd/dvd in (these are at the bottom of the unit), if you are not bothered about having the DVD player then you can put the AV leads from your satellite receiver in to the black box in place of the dvd in leads, you can then receive the satellite signal on the flip down monitor ( you need an AV to scart connector to plug the AV leads in to the scart socket on the back of the satellite receiver.

If you want to keep the DVD player then you need an AV switch unit, basically all you do is connect the DVD in leads to an input on the switch unit, connect the leads from the sat receiver to a second input on the switch unit and then connect the output leads from the switch unit to the black box in the place of the DVD in leads. You can then switch between satellite or DVD.

Screw the black box back on the wall ( worth checking that the infra red sensor lead is fully pushed in at the back of the box as it comes loose fairly easily.)

You can then get the satellite by using the AV button on the monitor control just as you do when playing a dvd on the head unit.

Another thing I discovered when playing about with the unit is that the signal that is sent to the aerial point in the rear of the motohome is the RF output from the black box, not the signal from the status aerial. This means you cannot get the status aerial signal on a tv in the rear of the van. You can get round this by splitting the RF output lead ( this is the lead with the f connector that goes in to the top of the black box ,its the one nearest to you that you can see ) . If you put this lead in to the spare aerial output on the status amplifier this will send the signal to the rear aerial point.

Hope this all helps, it can be done.

John sharpe

Free Member
Aug 11, 2016
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Behind the Sargent control unit there are connections to plugin rca leads to feed into AV2 on the head unit and drop Down monitor, just unscrew and pull out the main Sargent control unit which is found in the first top cupboard on the offside behind the cab, you find 3 Rca plugin feeds, 1 & 2 for left and right sound and the 3rd for vision, all tagged AV2.
Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back