Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Apologies if this is a daft question, we are currently on a CL near Edinburgh, we normally don't have any problems getting a signal, however, today we couldn't get anything at all.
It's a Teleco satellite dish and normally finds a signal within 30 seconds, there are some tall trees which we think might be affecting our clear view south.
Would these trees cause "bounce back" (which we had with our previous Avtex satellite)?
We can't move pitches as the site is full, but stayed here before on a different pitch and didn't have a problem.
Thanks in advance, Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
First time out with our new max view dome, couldn't get a thing, moved 20 feet away from hedge, not even really trees, all then perfect

Hope your solution is that easy

David

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The trees will restrict or prevent your satellite reception, unless you move to avoid the trees you will not get a decent signal.
Satellite dishes need a clear line of sight to the satellite otherwise you will have a reduced or no reception.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
First time out with our new max view dome, couldn't get a thing, moved 20 feet away from hedge, not even really trees, all then perfect

Hope your solution is that easy

David

Hi David, there's a big thick 10 foot hedge behind us, but we're about 25 feet or more away from it.....but beyond the hedge there are tall trees which are due south of us.
We're only here for 2 nights, but just wondered:unsure: will try moving the van before we leave and let you know the outcome(y)

Bill

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
[QUOTE="trem
Thanks for your reply, we suspected this was the reason, but this was the only available pitch......will need to avoid this particular one when we come back next time(y)

Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as a general rule of thumb, any possible obstruction needs to be at least 3 times the height of the obstruction in distance away from the dish. so a 40ft tree you need to put the dish 120ft away

satellite signals are not like an aerial, it is absolute line of sight to the satellite from the dish or no signal. even moving a few feet can often help. One site we use a lot i know i can get a signal on one pitch in a particular row but not the one next door. can be very frustrating

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
as a general rule of thumb, any possible obstruction needs to be at least 3 times the height of the obstruction in distance away from the dish. so a 40ft tree you need to put the dish 120ft away

satellite signals are not like an aerial, it is absolute line of sight to the satellite from the dish or no signal. even moving a few feet can often help. One site we use a lot i know i can get a signal on one pitch in a particular row but not the one next door. can be very frustrating

Thanks for that, we'll try to avoid this particular pitch in future, we were on another pitch about 30 feet away from this one before, but didn't have any obstructions. You're right about it being frustrating......someone next to us has a Status aerial but a perfect picture:( But we kept them amused with our satellite going round and round trying to lock on to something......:LOL:
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Have a look here: www.dishpointer.com

You can add any obstruction to determine its affect.
i have a dishpointer app on my phone. just launch the app and point the camera in the direction of the satellite as indicated (uses GPS positioning) and it shows the satellite position superimposed on the picture of the actual view. Obviously I use this for a manual dish, but it was free so no harm in using it to get a general idea of obstacles you need to avoid

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Have a look here: www.dishpointer.com

You can add any obstruction to determine its affect.

Thanks for this information, just had a look on the link and it suggests that we're too close to the trees as we thought. Had there been other free pitches we would have moved:( but really popular little CL and we were lucky to get a pitch. We'll be away on Thursday, so not too much of a hardship without the tv.
Thanks very much to you all for your replies, all info will be put to good use(y)
Bill

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just thought we would update those who replied to our question recently. We tried moving the van forward about 3 feet (as much as the pitch would allow) and then tried the satellite again.......nothing. We were wondering if we had a problem with the dish, but as we were leaving yesterday to come home, we tried it again the nearby Asda car park.........bingo!
Thanks again for all the advice(y)

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back