Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have a Maxview crank up satellite and i have a problem getting a signal.
Its been on the van for 8 years so i think it could do with wires replacing and maybe other parts replacing.
I would like some advice on repairing or replacement,but cannot find anywhere in Worcestershire that can help me.
Help needed please.
rich

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi, wires should be fine unless kinked during installation, only three things can be wrong with a manual dish. The LNB has failed (possible), the receiver has failed (possible) or the connections / wiring has failed... unlikely. That is unless you have smacked it on a tree or something:) When did it stop working and did you manage to align it ok? In my "old life" I used to fit a lot of dishes so happy to help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
rich g

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Hi, wires should be fine unless kinked during installation, only three things can be wrong with a manual dish. The LNB has failed (possible), the receiver has failed (possible) or the connections / wiring has failed... unlikely. That is unless you have smacked it on a tree or something:) When did it stop working and did you manage to align it ok? In my "old life" I used to fit a lot of dishes so happy to help.
It hasn't stopped working but it takes me a long time to find a signal and more often than not i cant find one.I would like it serviced to make sure that everything is working as it should be or could be improved .

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
TBH dishes etc don't need a service, they either work or they don't. If the signal is constant when you do find it I would speculate that all is working well and you just need to refine the search method. When you do find the sat do all the channels come through without any break up of vision or sound? If they do then that indicates all 4 sections of the LNB are working as they should, missing some channels indicates a fault in the receiver or LNB. What meter are you using to align the dish? I had a maxview crank up our old caravan and it was quite easy to spin past the point you needed to be at, they are actually harder to align that a dish on a tripod, even for an old pro like me!

OP
OP
rich g

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Once i find a satellite it works ok, i align the dish through the T.V by sound and a graph on the screen,sorry not very technical minded.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
That is the problem then... buy a meter. The graph on the screen will be slow to respond and if you are less than super slow you will have shot past the bird before it registers. You need something like this.

We might even have an old analogue one kicking around... It's very hard to to find a bit of space hardware 20,000 + miles away without a good meter. My work one cost £2k+ back in 2000 and if it bust I would have got another straight away.
Get a meter and go slow on the adjustment, gently does it.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Don't know if this is relevant, but there have been quite a few recent transponder frequency changes on the Astra 2 satellite.

When I had a manual dish, I inserted the transponder setting into the digibox. The current settings for the Sky News transmission is: Frequency 12207, Polarisation V, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 5/6, IQ 1.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I have bought one of these but unable to fit it myself,so if anyone knows someone who is able to fit it, in the Worcestershire area.
Thanks
rich
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-satellite-finder-a13kf

It should come with a fly-lead about 20cm long. Secure the back of the meter to a vertical surface with double-sided tape (or velcro).

Cut the incoming coax cable between dish and digibox at a convenient point. Purchase 2 push-in F-connectors and connect to cut ends of cable.

With the digibox unplugged, plug F-connectors into meter. Plug in digibox and search for satellite.

When satellite found, unplug digibox. Unplug F-connectors from meter and join the 2 ends into the fly-lead. Plug in digibox. Simple !!!

NB. The coax cable carries an electrical current when connected to the digibox. So, it's best to unplug the digibox when changing the connections between signal meter and fly-lead. The signal meter should not be permanently connected (only when searching for satellite).

PS. The only slightly difficult job (for you) is to fit the F-connectors.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I have bought one of these but unable to fit it myself,so if anyone knows someone who is able to fit it, in the Worcestershire area.
Thanks
rich

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-satellite-finder-a13kf

As described above it doesn't need to be fitted, just used. If you follow the method above as described by Wagoneer it will work, but you will need 2 screw on F connectors to connect the "fast F's". If you just screw a new "fast F's" onto the lead coming from the dish, and one either end of the fly cable you won't need to cut the cable.
Easy enough to do once you suss it.

OP
OP
rich g

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Thanks for the answers at the moment i haven't got a digibox,so do i need to buy one ?

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Do you have a TV with a satellite receiver inbuilt, such as an AVTEX? if so no. I guess you must have as you have used the screen to line up the dish? Connection principles are the same in the sat rec is inbuilt to the TV.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
As described above it doesn't need to be fitted, just used. If you follow the method above as described by Wagoneer it will work, but you will need 2 screw on F connectors to connect the "fast F's". If you just screw a new "fast F's" onto the lead coming from the dish, and one either end of the fly cable you won't need to cut the cable.
Easy enough to do once you suss it.

Yes, I forgot that the push-in F-connector just screwed into an existing F-connector.

So, working on your method, just screw in a push-in F-connector to the incoming coax cable from the dish and connect to the signal meter. The 2 ends of the fly-lead are female, so presumably it's possible to screw in a push-in male F-connector? If so, one end of the modified fly-lead goes to the digibox. The other end to the signal meter.

When taking the signal meter out of circuit, presumably the 2 ends of the male F-connectors will need to be connected with a double female F-connector?

Using the existing incoming coax cable and the modified fly-lead depends on where the OP wants to locate the signal meter.

Hope I've interpreted your suggestion correctly :)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
You got it.. pretty much ;-) Take the cable from dish feed and screw on "fast F /Push F connector. This lead should normally connect directly to TV / Sat box feeding Tv / Radio / boring soaps whatever ;-). Take the Sat meter lead and screw in one end to "receiver" connection, this should always be left connected. On the other end fit a fast "F". When you need to align the dish remove connector from rec / TV and connect to "dish" side of meter, connect other side of meter to TV / Sat rec. (FYI needs to be turned on to power meter/ dish) Align dish and remove feed to meter (from dish) and put directly into TV / Rec. The fast F's do wear out over time but do save a lot of screwing and time.. hope that is all clear ;-) BTW the ends from the fly lead are male... a back to back F will work but not needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back