Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Our new - to us- hymer has an oyster auto seeking dish, no receiver or tv.
TV no problem - I was advised to get a sky 12v receiver from ebay - so I got this JUPITER 1000 with remote but no sky card.
So I phone up Sky and explain that I am living in a motorhome and require a sky card. The young salesman then attempts to sell me a start up package of a new dish, box etc. for £10 + £21 per month for the basic Sky package. I tell him that I have already got these and that I would like 12 volt and all I really need is the card.
He goes away then comes back telling me that I must still pay £10 set up fee and £21 per month.
I do not want to pay £250 a year just to watch telly.
I have also now been advised to buy a Sky card off ebay - will this work??
I don't need football or films
thanks
Don

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sorry there is no such thing as free Sky television, you either pay subscriptions or do without

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Need a bit more info.
Is it really Sky that you want, Sky is the subscription system and to my knowledge do not make a 12v box.
Try not to confuse Sky with the free to air services available from the satellites.
I can't find any info on the Jupiter 1000 box, perhaps you could put up a link.
What channels do you want to get ?
Do you intend to use your system only in the UK or further afield in Spain, Italy or the South of France ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
look for a skysat card i got 1 around 3years ago just cost me 15 quid for all the skysat channels you would have been better off getting a freesat box

I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £25. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 03448 244 400.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
At home we have a Pace Sky box no card required to get all the free to air channels on freesat Astra 28.

We have used it in the van and powered it via an inverter picked up channels via our Snipe auto sat finder.
You will only pick up Astra 28 via a dedicated Sky box and if you're taking the van abroad you won't pick up UK channels south of Bordeaux. a better bet is to buy a cheap multi satellite receiver

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
SACK WHOEVER IS GIVING YOU THE ADVISE.....

I have talked more sense about satellite TV in my sleep.....(or when drunk) ::bigsmile:

* The receiver you have bought is NOT a Sky receiver... It will however get you free channels that you want.
Most likely it is a "free to air" box.
* The 12v Sky box they mentioned would have been the Pace Javelin, the only one ever made and years old.
* You no longer need a Sky card for BBC, ITV CN4 etc.. They probably still think that you do.

Connect what you have to the dish, Find Astra 28 and do a free channel download.. (y)

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Thanks - so many people give advise - trying to be helpful. This is the receiver I purchased for £80 - Pace 1000 Javelin SKY BSKYB Minibox Digibox - which is 12 volts. So will try and get a Sky Freesat card.
We will want satellite this time next year in Spain.
Again thanks for all your quick advice - really appreciated
Don

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We will want satellite this time next year in Spain.
I'm afraid you will not get any of the normal UK freesat channels now in Spain with your Oyster, the signal strength/quality runs out in the south of France, if you subscribe you will get the normal Sky channels with your Sky box in Spain.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
sorry donnkim... That threw me seeing JUPITER..

The Pace Javelin 1000 of course... You have the correct 12v box and that should get the free channels as it is, no need for a card,,, Theses are favoured by people who already pay for Sky so they can take their home cards with them..

To be honest there are better and easier boxes to use if all you want is free stuff ie Freesat receivers.. The Javelin is very old, I bought all the stock off Sky back in around 2005 and sold it on to the trade.. It had been in storage a long time by then !!

Ref Spain, remember things have changed. In most areas from Mid / South France down you will need a bigger dish than your 80cm to get BBC etc..

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
if you are in spain lots of the sites have a digital hookup for tv

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Our new - to us- hymer has an oyster auto seeking dish, no receiver or tv.
TV no problem - I was advised to get a sky 12v receiver from ebay - so I got this JUPITER 1000 with remote but no sky card.
So I phone up Sky and explain that I am living in a motorhome and require a sky card. The young salesman then attempts to sell me a start up package of a new dish, box etc. for £10 + £21 per month for the basic Sky package. I tell him that I have already got these and that I would like 12 volt and all I really need is the card.
He goes away then comes back telling me that I must still pay £10 set up fee and £21 per month.
I do not want to pay £250 a year just to watch telly.
I have also now been advised to buy a Sky card off ebay - will this work??
I don't need football or films
thanks
Don
When in BENNICASIM (southeast spain) September, the Techie's campers all used floor mounted sat dishes over 1.2-1.5 meters hooked up to Sky digit box or a Goodmans Freesat no one was able to pick up UK channels on MH mounted dishes usually 65-85 dia ...there are of course always freak conditions where someone may pick up Uk channels but the norm now is large dishes which makes the expensive MH mounted dishes obsolete

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
When in BENNICASIM (southeast spain) September, the Techie's campers all used floor mounted sat dishes over 1.2-1.5 meters hooked up to Sky digit box or a Goodmans Freesat no one was able to pick up UK channels on MH mounted dishes usually 65-85 dia ...there are of course always freak conditions where someone may pick up Uk channels but the norm now is large dishes which makes the expensive MH mounted dishes obsolete

If you use a SKY receiver and subscription card there are many channels still available on an 85cm dish throughout Spain which are broadcasted on the Pan European Beam

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
the other thing you can do is pitch next to someone with a massive dish and try to plug into it :)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i will run the cable from above the tropical i think they have good sat :)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I have a 1.2 meter dish and a Skybox V8, sat box, in the Costa Del Sol.

Channel 4 and all it's derivatives, is now receivable here, but not, ITV1, BBC all channels (SD or HD)or Channel 5 in SD.

If you have a HD box and a SKY card you can get Channel5, all it's derivatives, and ITV 2,3,4. which are all HD channels scrambled on the SKY platform.

You can get an unscrambling system for Pay To View channels on Astra 28 but I really couldn't comment about that.

:cooler:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
if you have a good internet connection try filmon

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
if you have a good internet connection try filmon

You can indeed, and I have a 4g router on unlimited downloads.
I am also using an Android smart box with XBMC but only use it when the better sports events are on ITV or BBC.
The smart box also allows streaming, so making all Premier League games available to view, on a Saturday afternoon.

:cooler:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've got 2 12v Pace boxes in the loft still, better stick them on ebay as we take our Sky+ box with us. Remember the card is married to the box so taking your card for a secondary box will only give you the free to air channels.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I've got 2 12v Pace boxes in the loft still, better stick them on ebay as we take our Sky+ box with us. Remember the card is married to the box so taking your card for a secondary box will only give you the free to air channels.

Would you take £30 for one ? ( plus postage ) ( gotta ask.. Wanna get one for number one son )

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Consider it done John, I'll sort out the one that doesn't work! :LOL:

I'll PM you later, gotta go out in a minute.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back