Satellite dish (1 Viewer)

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Washington, Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Hi all. I am looking at purchasing a foldable satellite dish so I can take my Sky Q box away with me in the UK. I don’t want to spend a fortune as I only go away several times a year. I want a roof mounted one but manual crank would be fine. Any suggestions?

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you considered a fire stick and the sky app. saves on money and weight.Loads of info.on here re sims etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
eyeball74

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Thanks guys. I have a fire stick hd and I also have a sky subscription. I have added the BT sport app which works superbly but I cannot get the sky go app to install. Any help would be great.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had the same problem with VirginGo, you have to side load it onto firestick as Amazon don`t want you to use it.
Can`t remember how I did it now but it was done with guidance from a post on here, so use the search tool and you should find it

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
To go back to the OP's original request: I'm personally not into subscriptions and firesticks so all I use is either terrestrial Freeview or a portable sat dish (Free-to-Air). I found the problem with a roof-mounted sat dish is that if a tree or suchlike is in the way, you're going to have to move your van; and as the TV is probably one of the last things you set up, that could be a bit of a pain. Therefore, I use a portable dish and have loads of cable to be able to move it around.
I think my sat dish is a 65cm Maxview, it's very good but a bit on the expensive side, however, if you're limiting yourself to UK a much smaller dish should suffice. There are loads on Google / Bing under 'portable satellite dish'.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I use a SkyQ box on a tripod mounted dish and bear in mind that a skyQ box does a pretty good impression of a firestick if you connect it to the internet while your away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
To go back to the OP's original request: I'm personally not into subscriptions and firesticks so all I use is either terrestrial Freeview or a portable sat dish (Free-to-Air). I found the problem with a roof-mounted sat dish is that if a tree or suchlike is in the way, you're going to have to move your van; and as the TV is probably one of the last things you set up, that could be a bit of a pain. Therefore, I use a portable dish and have loads of cable to be able to move it around.
I think my sat dish is a 65cm Maxview, it's very good but a bit on the expensive side, however, if you're limiting yourself to UK a much smaller dish should suffice. There are loads on Google / Bing under 'portable satellite dish'.

I'm a satellite belt and braces person. Been on UK campsites where no mobile signal available. Besides, on my mobile/wifi plan with "Three" it would cost £2 per hour to watch TV (cheaper plans are available).

A through the roof crank-up 90cm satellite dish cost me £1000, professionally installed. Aligning the dish is easier if you can see the TV screen as that shows when you are locked-on to the satellite. A handheld compass helps you avoid trees when choosing your pitch although you can now get apps on your mobile which do a similar thing.

A standalone dish mounted on a tripod is much much cheaper and can be moved around to avoid trees. Potentially more difficult to align to the satellite so will need a satellite finder which is temporarily inserted between sat dish and outgoing coax cable to van.

I've heard that a Sky Q box requires a diferent LNB (the receiver unit mounted at the end of the arm infront of the dish).

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
After paying for very pricey Oyster sat dishes on our last 3 motor homes, our new Adria does not have one. Why? I had a mifi aerial installed on the last van after one too many pitches where lone trees blocked the Astra2 and Intelsat 907. We found that even in rural Spain and France we were never without at least a local 3G signal, some campsite wifi signals were ok as well.
So our new Adria has only a Motorhome WiFi 5G ready compact system linked to an Avtex smart TV with an Avtex STH3000 mini boost aerial as a UK backup. We know it will work perfectly well and yes there's a monthly 25Gb data ceiling outside the UK. However you can buy an awful lot of data on several different sim cards for the price of a sat dish can't you😄 So that's our solution, hope it helps your decision.

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Me I have a dish on the roof, tv antenna and WiFi external antenna.

What do I use most..........

WiFi and firestick, it’s simple, easy to use and setup and if then I don’t get mobile signal to use my WiFi then I revert back to dish or antenna.

I would get and fit an external WiFi antenna and use firestick and apps and go from their.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
eyeball74

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Thanks all. I have a wifi system installed and also have a Amazon Firestick HD. I have tried it on my 12v tv’s and it works fine. As long as I can get a data signal I think this will work fine. Great help all. 👍👍

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Regretfully, I have not yet found a way to run Sky on a Firestick, unless something like Kodi is involved and even then the installation is a pain and often falls over. I have now given up. :gum:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
eyeball74

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Yeh, me too. I also have. BT Sport subscription which works fine. I believe Sky don’t want people using their service on Amazon. A bit petty I think.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back