satellite dish help and advice (1 Viewer)

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
we are planning our first trip out this weekend (and the rugby is on) we have what i believe to be an oyster satellite dish which looks fantastic when in the up position, but i have no idea how it works, apart from pushing a button and hearing the whirring noise as it goes up. There is a sky box which appears to be plugged into what looks like an aerial point but as we dont have sky we cant utallise this. Now the question is, if we buy a free sat box will this work with the satellite dish and would we get a superior picture over using an aerial. As i said i have to get this right as its the wife who is a major rugby fan and i dont want our first trip to be the one i want to forget.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yes a freesat box will get the rugby for you. Fingers crossed that England will win comfortably, they're looking very strong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You can buy a Sky free view card I believe don't know how you go about it but sure someone will be along to help you I don't think they are to expensive might be cheaper than a new digibox

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If you have already got the Sky box, they offer their own Freesat service, so there may not be a need to get another receiver:-

Broken Link Removed

If you have a tv with a free to air satellite receiver built in, that could also be an option I guess.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
What channel is it on? You can get many freesat channels on the sky box without a card in, well you can if it is all connected up right. Tell us which channel and we can check and tell you how to wire it up which is very easy.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sky freesat card, pre-activated for £4.20 on ebay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
sky freesat card, pre-activated for £4.20 on ebay
thank you we have just ordered one for a whopping £3.50, sudden thought though, the sky box is running on 12v and although we have a 12v tv we have purchased a slightly larger telly which is a normal plug in telly for when we are on hook up will they be compatible, i dont see why not but does not hurt to ask. many thanks for your replys you have possibly saved me a marriage and a few quid to boot!!!!!!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i recently got caught out with a new tv at home. all works fine but no scart socket for the old sky box. so picked up an openbox/dream box as a replacement

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There is a sky box which appears to be plugged into what looks like an aerial point but as we dont have sky we cant utallise this.

I think you will find you can use this, I certainly use a 12 volt sky box connected to the Oyster dish even though I`ve never subscribed to Sky. I only gets the basic Free Sat channels but its enough for me.
I would have a play with this one, get it working, then decide if you want to upgrade to a Freesat. I`m not sure what extras a new box would give you except maybe the facility to record onto a hard drive.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
With luck everything will be already hooked up and ready to go.

You can get the manuals from the Oyster II here

Newer models are on the manufacturers website http://ten-haaft.com

Fingers crossed you don't have the old system with the map on the control (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
With luck everything will be already hooked up and ready to go.

You can get the manuals from the Oyster II here

Newer models are on the manufacturers website http://ten-haaft.com

Fingers crossed you don't have the old system with the map on the control (y)
thank you for that. Just had a look and I think the control box pictured from the oyster 11 manual is the same as ours.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I think you will find you can use this, I certainly use a 12 volt sky box connected to the Oyster dish even though I`ve never subscribed to Sky. I only gets the basic Free Sat channels but its enough for me.
I would have a play with this one, get it working, then decide if you want to upgrade to a Freesat. I`m not sure what extras a new box would give you except maybe the facility to record onto a hard drive.
Is your 12v Sky box a genuine 'Sky' product, or are you using 'Sky' as a generic term for another make of decoder.
The only reason I'm asking is that for years I used a spare 240v Sky box in the motorhome and obviously could only operate it on hook up. I would have loved a 12v box, where I could transfer my Sky card across, but didn't realise they existed.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Kingham You can get a Sky Pace box that runs off 12v they are no longer made but there are usually some on eBay for sale they are old technology.
We just have a small 150w inverter that runs the home sky box works fine.

Upvote 0

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
we have a sky+hd box in our van, works off 240v when on ehu but we have a small (500w) inverter connected to the batteries for when away from ehu. tv runs from 12v and system works fine whether on ehu or not.
our normal Sky card (from home) can be paired to the box in the van easily enough, either by wifi directly our side our house prior to leaving, or by using the 'pair my card' link on the Sky app on my ipad which requires the box and card number.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
i believe this is what is in our van and looks old but it all fires up. 12 volt Sky Mini Digibox Pace Javelin 1000

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Is your 12v Sky box a genuine 'Sky' product, or are you using 'Sky' as a generic term for another make of decoder.
The only reason I'm asking is that for years I used a spare 240v Sky box in the motorhome and obviously could only operate it on hook up. I would have loved a 12v box, where I could transfer my Sky card across, but didn't realise they existed.

Yep, genuine Sky 12 volt box which gets BBC1 /2 ITV / C4 C5 plus some others.. I`m not sure if a more modern Freesat box will get you more chanels.
Do you know which Oyster you have, Mine is Oyster Vision 1 which is obsolete now, but has had a conversion done to add another LNB so although it will only find Astra1, the second LNB is lined up to Astra2.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Yep, genuine Sky 12 volt box which gets BBC1 /2 ITV / C4 C5 plus some others.. I`m not sure if a more modern Freesat box will get you more chanels.
Do you know which Oyster you have, Mine is Oyster Vision 1 which is obsolete now, but has had a conversion done to add another LNB so although it will only find Astra1, the second LNB is lined up to Astra2.
Thanks for the info, you learn something new every day.

I've never had Oyster, having had a Roadpro dome on my last van and my new van is still a month away. Due to going solo, I have no immediate plans to fit satellite to the new van.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back