Satellite bad weather (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
can bad weather really steal sat tv signal???

we are in Scotland and the rain is pretty full on

tuned in TV then lost all signal till rain stopped, is the right

or a Scottish phenomenon?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Yes... and fog/drizzle will sometimes have the same effect.. :(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes... and fog/drizzle will sometimes have the same effect.. :(

Thanks Mo

Trouble is now having spent 19 months in your company

are you just taking the piss

Apologies if this was your serious reply of the month

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
One of my few serious answer, mate... (y)

Expected with a sat dish, being as it`s so far above... long way to pull a signal..

We occasionally get it in bad rain on our normal TV aerial.. :(

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
In heavy rain we loose the signal on the house dish for a few minutes on certain channels. I did read that if you coat the dish with oil it can help. Did ours with some spray oil but it still stops working occasionally

Mike

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
In heavy rain we loose the signal on the house dish for a few minutes on certain channels. I did read that if you coat the dish with oil it can help. Did ours with some spray oil but it still stops working occasionally

Mike

Coating the dish will not make any difference... as said it`s because of the distance from your dish/LNB to the sat, which is the problem..

With the weather, it`s similar to trying to pick up a signal through tree`s,,, you may pick up a signal in the winter, but as soon as a few leafs come on you lose it.. Much the same with Mist/Rain & Snow especially.. :(

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We loose digital tv in bad weather......BUSBY.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We also lose the signal from the satellite dish in bad weather. But we also have an old fashioned ariel that works a treat in any weather.

Isn't new technology wonderful :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Rain will cause your system to lose the signal and as already stated fog/drizzle can/may sometimes depending on how bad it is also do the same. The reason is it breaks up the signal ( distortion ) or blocks the signal. Oiling your dish will make no difference whatsoever.

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
May be a good idea to check the connection to to the LNB. WD 40 on the connection first? Perhaps also use self amalgamating tape.
The larger the dish the better performance in bad weather but they are harder to line up.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The dish relies on being able to see the satellite. Anything that gets in the way can cause grief and possible loss of picture.

Got to go back to bed now, to recover from the shock, of a VeryOldMoIceCreamInternetMan sensible answer. :wasntme:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
The dish relies on being able to see the satellite. Anything that gets in the way can cause grief and possible loss of picture.

Got to go back to bed now, to recover from the shock, of a VeryOldMoIceCreamInternetMan sensible answer. :wasntme:

I do have my moments...:rollingeyes:

Not very often, thank goodness... :*:tounge:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Many thanks all of you, Terry we do have an aerial, but not connected to anything now, we have satellite only TV's, or at least I think we do

As for getting up there and checking connections, that would require a degree of skill, not to mention tools :D

The rain has stopped, we have a heavy Scottish mist, but all is fine again now, on the move soon anyway, only really wanted to see the weather, just to confirm how bad it is going to be :LOL:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It's annoying when you lose the signal as we do on satellite in bad weather ,back to the old fashioned aerial. Even that loses signal on the digital so much for progress.!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Many thanks all of you, Terry we do have an aerial, but not connected to anything now, we have satellite only TV's, or at least I think we do

As for getting up there and checking connections, that would require a degree of skill, not to mention tools :D

The rain has stopped, we have a heavy Scottish mist, but all is fine again now, on the move soon anyway, only really wanted to see the weather, just to confirm how bad it is going to be :LOL:
Hi David have a look where the Ariel comes through the roof and it will go into a box with co-axe (Ariel wire)wire going into it -prob got switches on it to turn the amplifier on / off -you may have another co axe wire with a plug on that would go into your TV --that's about as much tecky stuff I do with anything with wires on it :DSend my love to Bev and hope the midges are not biting too much
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back