Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I couldn't decide which forum to put this on------------finished up here-----
our new 5er and our 'new' truck are both fitted with sat. radio------is it available in England/Europe ? ? ? If so, will the US system work here ? What does it cost ?
I did a google search and everything is in $$$$$$$
Nigel

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Both the RV and Jeep we bought and toured the US & Canada in had Sirius satellite radio, Link Removed

It worked great, wish they would bring it to the UK, no matter where in America we were once a station was selected we go a great reception, on 'normal' FM you had to re-tune every hour or so.

Now its just a useless button on the radio. :Sad:

Mick

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
thanks Mick
So the answer is --we don't have sat radio in England----I wonder why ??:Blush::Blush::cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So the answer is --we don't have sat radio in England----I wonder why ??:Blush::Blush::cry::cry:

Probably because we don't really need it .. being such a small geographical area it is easily covered by conventional masts ..

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I wonder if the radio you have fitted is, in fact, Worldspace.
This was a company in Washington DC using satellites around the world for relaying radio.
They were useable in the UK but because we were on the fringe of their footprint, they weren't much good for mobile use and you had to have line of site to the South for use wherever.
They have sort of gone bust.
Being American, that is not as final as it would be in Europe, so they appear to be still operational in the far East and India even though they held their bankruptcy sale back in Jan 2009!!!
The best info I can find is at Link Removed but they are guessing just like the rest of us...
It seems to me that the business model was fundamentally flawed in that they expected to draw in contributing stations wanting to increase listener numbers to increase advertising sales.
Of course, satellite broadcasting is largely wide distribution and, much less so that TV, advertisers want very tight geographic audiences. Basic misunderstanding of market IMHO.
You could try an omnidirectional satellite aerial like Camos and put it on your car and you would be able to pick up a wide range of radio stations, even in Godalming etc!!!
Patrick

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
take them out, list them on Ebay.

always a mug or two on Ebay. :thumb::ROFLMAO:

The RV and Jeep we shipped in from the USA have between them 4 radio/cd units, (RV dashboard, bedroom and outside entertainment locker, Jeep dashboard) the two dash mounted sets have a Sirius satellite channel.

The biggest problem with any American radio is there FM channel only operate in odd numbered frequencies, an example being, my local radio station is Signal Radio which operates at 96.4 or 102.6 fm, none of my 4 radios can get 96.4........its either 95.5 or 96.7 which means I loose the signal quicker on driving out of the area. :Sad:

Wish I could take them to a radio boffin who could tweek them a little........anyone know if that's possible?

Mick

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
:cry:Hi Mick
They drive me mad-------the only country radio we can get is on sat. and sun. morning on two different stations------bloody yank radios dont pick up either:cry:
Its quite a fancy one in the 5er so I think I will put up with it---------But the truck-camper is quite old so it's due a new one------The truck I will leave and use cds !
Nigel

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The RV and Jeep we shipped in from the USA have between them 4 radio/cd units, (RV dashboard, bedroom and outside entertainment locker, Jeep dashboard) the two dash mounted sets have a Sirius satellite channel.

The biggest problem with any American radio is there FM channel only operate in odd numbered frequencies, an example being, my local radio station is Signal Radio which operates at 96.4 or 102.6 fm, none of my 4 radios can get 96.4........its either 95.5 or 96.7 which means I loose the signal quicker on driving out of the area. :Sad:

Wish I could take them to a radio boffin who could tweek them a little........anyone know if that's possible?

Mick

Hi mick it is possible there is a little gismo we used to use on the imports that had a live and earth fitted between the antena and radio, they did work but the problem was although you could get all frequencys the stations were never where they should be.

The other option is there are companies that will change the internals of both standard and double din radios......we have used these very sucessfully on 50's & 60's yanks even adding hidden CD players to radios.

Rick.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In my RV is fitted a Jensen FM / Sirius / CD / pop up screen for reversing. All works fine except the sirius bit :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back