Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Just getting round to fitting Sat. tv in other rooms, have the old co-axial from analogue fitted, as the new cable is thinner and has screw on terminations will I have to replace all wiring or can it be mixed, as it will save a lot of work.

Thanks in advance

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just getting round to fitting Sat. tv in other rooms, have the old co-axial from analogue fitted, as the new cable is thinner and has screw on terminations will I have to replace all wiring or can it be mixed, as it will save a lot of work.

Thanks in advance

There is bound to be technical reasons why you can't or should'nt but In my Rv i have both types, each doing what it should'nt and all works well :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
proper sat cable should have a centre conductor, a braided sleeve and a foil shield along with a hollow centre.

this keeps the high frequency (1GHz) sat signal inside the cable.

normal tv cable doesn't usually have the foil shield, or if it has it wont have the braided wire, and will allow the signal to 'leak' out along the cable length resulting in a poorer signal.

both will do the job but at different degrees of efficiency

a bit like putting gravy in a sieve.....you'll still have some gravy when you get it to the table but a lot will be on the floor.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Thanks in advance

unclip the old coax and firmly tape the new shielded coax to the end. then as you pull out the old cable, the new one will be pulled into its place. terminate with either screw on F connectors or if you have the tools a higher quality compression F plug

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I like PJ explanation, it's deffinitely at my level::bigsmile:

Funnily enough I've just completed the sat set up in Winne, bit ott but moving forward it will have it's benifits::bigsmile:

We wanted a recordable freesat setup, 12 volt though, so twin LNB required and better dish, we were using a sat in a box now and again, but I wanted a tidy install and connection. So, I needed to pull in a twin sat cable and have a plug in point outside, and all quick an easy. I did think of using the old plug in point/wire as a draw wire but not practical so all new, and very quick and easy in the end, the hardest part, well not really, just getting a bit old for it, was the crawling along under Winne cable tieing the cable to the chassis and routing into a locker.

Good tidy result, permanent and as said quick to get up and running:Eeek:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Thanks in advance

got mine off ebay 50mtrs and 8 connecto bits connectors
came out £ 16.quidish

Item #: 190411792735

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries