sat navs (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No, but I have the 3598LMT. which I find does everything (and much more) than my old tom-tom 1005 did and in a better manner. I did consider the caravan and motorhome model but decided against it because it would take us on routes which avoid small towns and out of the way places which we may very well want to see and would probably always keep on truckers routes which would mean missing many aires. We have found many very nice villages and towns, particularly in France which are not listed in any of the popular aires books, so much so that we call the most popular one, "Some of the aires in France" instead of its real title.

I think there are probably two things you can do to make life easier whatever sat nav you have.

1. After you set a route on the sat nav, look at a map to see where its going to take you, there may well be routes you might prefer so you can change settings before you move off. (Easy on the Garmin as it can suggest up to three routes anyway) Or use the map first and then input the places you want to go via to get to your final destination.

2. Don't follow sat nav instructions without looking at the road its taking you on first, if you don't like the look of the road, for example, if it looks a little narrow or like it could be shortcut, ignore the sat nav and just keep going, it will re plan pretty fast and you can then decide if you like the look of the next suggested turning.

We only replaced our Tom-tom with the Garmin in January so we haven't had it long, we used it on a trip of just over 3000 miles through Belgium, Holland, Germany and France earlier this year and it (or we) got it wrong just twice. Otherwise it was faultless and very reliable.

Although we didn't go for the caravan/motorhome version I supposes you could always set it up as if you were a car if you wanted to be on other than truck routes but I expect the price differential might be the deciding factor.

Whatever you decide just remember you are in charge, the sat nav is just a tool and you can accept it's instructions, or should I say suggestions, as you wish and as there will probably be no particular rush on your journey you can always pull over and have are think about your route/destination. Good Luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Got a 7' 'Shanghai special' for £50 last year. Best thing I have ever bought. Does much more then even my £300 TomTom Rider. (y)(y)(y)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The sexual practices of the Chinese and America's original inhabitants has no place in a debate on Sat Navs!;)
Very Quick. I usually see those and avoid posting them!! :rofl: It means that you can then pick others out, and have no fear of retribution......:)(y)

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I have the Snooper 700, it came with the van but I am considering changing for the Garmin. The Garmin appears much more user friendly, whereas the Snooper has to be reprogrammed {with no tolls} ever time it is switched off, has pants speed limits, and has bad battery life. Also the Garmin comes with free updates, whereas my snooper costs I believe £ 170 to get free updates. The camperstop base is good on the Snooper, and don't know if the Garmin has all the sites.

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
We just bought and used Garmin in France Germany Austria Slovenia,Croatia and Italy, but don't find it as good as a tomtom, especially with coordinates.don't find it as straightforward, sorry!

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I hate my old Tomtom.

Did you know that here in Portugal it only accepts the first 4 digits of a post code? So it is impossible to navigate to anywhere with an accuracy of more that about 20 miles!!!!!! It stinks. Total crap!

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
No, but I have the 3598LMT. which I find does everything (and much more) than my old tom-tom 1005 did and in a better manner. I did consider the caravan and motorhome model but decided against it because it would take us on routes which avoid small towns and out of the way places/QUOTE]

I have a Garmin Camper and it will take you wherever you wish to go. Specify the shortest route and it will take you down exactly that, regardless of size suitability. Specify the fastest route and it uses main roads. If it's database has any information it will warn you about height restrictions, if you have put in the vehicle size, but otherwise it's up to you where you go, just like any other Satnav, because it's based on the truck version and even small towns and out of the way places need deliveries.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

But I also said, "I suppose you could always set it up as if you were a car if you wanted to be on other than truck routes" So what you have with the Garmin camper is an ordinary sat nav that behaves just as any other but into which you can input size of vehicle etc if you wish, in which case it will warn you about restrictions.

Since I posted yesterday, I notice that the camper version can be bought for not a lot more than the ordinary ones.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Am I wrong in thinking that the Snooper variants and the expensive Falcon satnav (which I have one of, bought at a show on impulse) are actually the same basic model as the Chinese cheapies but with better/different programming? If so, they really are overpriced!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I had look at a sat nav being offered by one of the major clubs (C&CC I think) at Malvern. The software they were using in the unit was IGO Primo the same as used by the Chinese sat navs. I had a quick play and it seemed to be the same but I suspect that they have had some changes to include poi's for their campsites.

The major difference of course was the hardware being used which was far superior to the chinese ones. But whether it is worth the £399 they were asking against £65 for the ebay one is debatable to say the least.

I can only say I am extremely happy with my chinese version and would never consider paying for the expensive one.

John

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Can someone who uses these Chinese units tell me if the software gives inner city congestion charge warnings?
I'd just like to stop my daughter supporting Boris with her hard earned!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have just tried to route to High Holborn in the City of London from Bristol. The route summary told me that there was 2.5 mile section of toll road starting at the end of the A4 from 7:00 to 18:00 mon to fri which I assume is the congestion zone. If it is then the answer to your question is that it shows a toll charge on the routing summary but it dos not flash a warning.

DiddyDoddy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
AA route planner better than any sat nav used it for years and costs you nothing.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Can someone point me to the cheapie Chinese satnavs please?

I've had a look on eBay and there are numerous choices. I'd like to know which ones are the ones to go for.

Cheers

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a 7" camper snooper and love it, and if I am using in the car and am parked up for a while I can watch TV as well.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi lunarman my sat nav has packed up and going to France in sept is just plug in and go or do you have down load and set all setting not to good on the computer !

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I have just tried to route to High Holborn in the City of London from Bristol. The route summary told me that there was 2.5 mile section of toll road starting at the end of the A4 from 7:00 to 18:00 mon to fri which I assume is the congestion zone. If it is then the answer to your question is that it shows a toll charge on the routing summary but it dos not flash a warning.
Thanks for doing that, it's the warning I'd like to see as seen
on the TomTom. My daughter would blank that out!

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
Has anybody any expierience of these
Garmin Camper 760LMT-D 7 inch Satellite Navigation for Caravans and Motorhomes.

I bought this sat nav in preparation for a 3 month trip to Europe earlier this year. My not so old Tom Tom frequently gave me hypertension as it took me down wing mirror brushing lanes and left me staring angrily at bridges with weight, width and height restrictions only suitable for cars.

Being able to enter the MH dimensions has stopped all that and in our whole trip it only gave me concern once in the Mosel valley where it took us 15 miles to land up 1 mile up the road from where we turned off. I can only think that somewhere it had identified a snag, didn't like it and added a couple of quid to our fuel bill.

It's also loaded with campsites and I've downloaded POI's from several different sources for aires, stellplatz etc.

All in all I'm quite pleased with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back