LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I looked at Snooper a couple of years ago and what put me off was that I couldn't add large batches of PoIs. I don't know if that has changed.

The price of the unit looks fairly high. I would have thought it would be worth comparing what it gives you with other units from the likes of Garmin and TomTom to check value for money. Don't forget ongoing costs like map updates.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the snooper s700 and I agree that it is a pain not being able to add your own poi and it doesn't charge via the cigarette charger and need to be charged with electric every so often.
I had the tom tom xl and Didnt think the screen large enough andc even though the screen is 7 inches on the snooper I still wished I had kept the tom tom. I have an old tom tom that doesn't give me the option of high vehicles but have downloaded the poi,s from motorhome fun and added them to the tom tom as I cannot add them to snooper even though when I contacted snooper about that they said if I send them the co ordinates they would put them in for me. The sat nav is brilliant though and we have used it in France using the co ordinates and we have been taken to the entrance ofc the camp site every time. Clear instructions although no lance guidance and would have taken the wrong road a few times if I hadn't been checking the screen. Tells you to turn left on a turn in the road and doesn't tell you to turn left for instance when it should

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must agree think others do the job better. Snooper only as good as mapping fine on main roads off on smaller roads no good.

Upvote 0

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
I was looking at the Snooper options but have read many poor comments on them in recent weeks.

I liked the fact it was pre loaded with the ACSI campsite info but I have been told this is now available as a download for Garmin.

I have been using a Garmin 205w for a few years but really want to be able to programme the vehicle size into the satnav.

Garmin have now produced theLink Removed which has previously been mentioned on this forum. It looks good to me...

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
difficult decision

Im making my mind up about a new satnav.

And Ive done as much research as I can........the problem is nothing seems to be perfect.

I like the ease of use of tomtom..and the graphic interface.
I also like the fact you can add your own POI's

The latest Garmins have had some poor feedback..but I know some people like them

The one you are looking at is limited and Not a MASS market product
its also far too expensive.

Im going to go for a XXL tomtom........with euromaps
but no monthly fees.

Sadly my old tomtom GO700 is better specced that most new tomtoms as far as I am concerned.

Rarely does a company produce current products that are worse than previous generations..........a lot of this is because there isnt enough on board memory
to hold all europes maps. Sickening when you consider how cheap memory power actually is .

BUT I still think tomtom is the best of a weak bunch
when you take everything into consideration.

Come on Tomtom design the product we all want !!!!!!!

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have the Snooper 7000

I have owned the Snooper 7000 for best part of a year now. Just come back from the South of France using it. No I did not use the toll routes, and other than an interesting night time tour or Orleans the Snooper 7000 took us down and back without any issues.

Yes it can lag at a junction, yes it does not charge from the lighter socket and has to be connected to the mains, but it will run on the light socket if required.

Found the maps OK.. traffic info take it or leave it. The brack on the screen is a little hard to take the Snooper out of.. but soon get used to it.

As I have a top notch Pioneer on the RV and also a Garmin.. plus the Snooper I can compared each and all have some advantage over the other. I find I mainly use the Pioneer as a back up mirror and an entertainment centre.. the Garmin is used for tec info like the height I am at and how far I have climbed so far etc., ..trip type computer use and it shadows the the Snooper which is the only one on the window screen the other two are lower down the dash.

So fair description out of 10.. I would say 7.5 but the plus is the big screen it has and in an American RV the window screen is a lot further forward than european vans.

Bob:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back