Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Hi
Those in favour of sat navs,, see pic, as an example, what do I actually put in the sat nav?
We've never used one in France always maps and will continue to do so but just asking?

Attachments

• IMG_6156.PNG
    IMG_6156.PNG
    116.1 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Sorry don't get it more info mayb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
you put it in as it shows on the route, dont forget to put the degree sign, the small o, the minute sign the small line, and the seconds sign 2 small lines.

OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Ah thanku
I wouldn't of put in all the little bits o,"'
Lol

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
All i put into my Chinese 7" sat nav. Is the Country,Town and if possible an address. If i do not have an address,in the past i have just put centro or Gare. Works for me,post codes get you near wherever,but the first two mean that there will be people,who i can attract the attention of,then point in my Aires book/Acsi book and say."Do you know where this is t'owd lad/lass?"
I have wonderful observational skills,so have perfected how to interpret the Gallic shrug and can correct people who say. Turn Left and are pointing right..... This is an International thing,happening everywhere,even in....Wales! Beware of this in Wales,if you are heading North,and they say turn left and point with the left hand,if you go to far,your wheels will get wet....

Take care,its hell out there on the hill!
Tea Bag

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have a Chinese SatNav and have just returned from France. We used the POI's and found campsites through the Accommodation/Camping selection, couldn't be easier. All the campsites we used were already pre-loaded in the SatNav.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
30 years going to France without a sat nav!only maps but now I have one I would,nt go without!PARIS perifique was great knew what lane to get in etc!I could do with a sat nav just for the camper to save pinching the one out of the car!WHAT are these Chinese ones?best make?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I much prefer a real address, it is impossible to transpose, coordinates are much more accurate but only if right

put in town and road name, you can only be a few metres out at worst

well that is presuming there aren't 2 places with the same name and street names o_O

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Have been using a "Noza Tec 7" Chinese Truck/lorry Sat nav" for a few years. There are Funsters on here,that can program these to do a Full English at 07.00hrs...Respect!. Me ? Only use the easy bits,getting from A-B.
However,i have joined the 21st century and now own a Samsung J3. I have learnt how to switch it on.............
Tea Bag
PS. I have an 84 page instruction booklet about these,sent to me by a fellow funster,if all else fails,if anybody would like a copy.... Send the instructions how to do this,and it will be winging its way to you.(n)
PPS. My mate has read bits of it.........

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We were at Huttopia Versaille and when we left to drive up to Calais the route was 30 miles through urban Paris, X-Gody StaNav never missed a beat.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Most satnavs are Chinese .... ;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You must remember there are three different ways of putting in co ords, alltheaires book uses a compleatly different set to France passion, so if you are useing both make sure your sat nav knows which version you are useing.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi
Those in favour of sat navs,, see pic, as an example, what do I actually put in the sat nav?
We've never used one in France always maps and will continue to do so but just asking?
In your example, I would use the gps coordinates. When you select "where to" on sat nav choose coordinates from the options available. When entering the coordinates there is usually the chance to put N and then 3 different fields ready to take the 3 numbers you may need to add leading 0. Such as 004 instead of 4 in your example. After entering the northings then
do the East or west in same way.
You may need to change the settings to be the same format as those you want to enter. In your example the format is degree minute seconds. Another format could be decimal.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In your example, I would use the gps coordinates. When you select "where to" on sat nav choose coordinates from the options available. When entering the coordinates there is usually the chance to put N and then 3 different fields ready to take the 3 numbers you may need to add leading 0. Such as 004 instead of 4 in your example. After entering the northings then
do the East or west in same way.
You may need to change the settings to be the same format as those you want to enter. In your example the format is degree minute seconds. Another format could be decimal.
The numbers in each format can look similar, but be assured they are not , they can be miles out.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I much prefer a real address, it is impossible to transpose, coordinates are much more accurate but only if right

put in town and road name, you can only be a few metres out at worst

well that is presuming there aren't 2 places with the same name and street names

Our post code is shared with at least 9 other "towns", our lieu dit does not have street names, house numbers or names but I know how to get here.

In my limited experience, ACSI gps numbers are not as accurate as I expected whereas real addresses work far better.

In cases where there is more than one town of the same name (how many Villeneuves can 1 country need?) our sat nav lists the options by dept, though if you don't know the dept number you need you are slightly buffered.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The sooner we all start using < what3words > the better.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi,
Just wondered which sat nav you have , then peeps may be able to explain in a more sensible format.
We have a tomtom caravan version ,very easy to use , first you have to choose which country, then go to navigate to , then choose which ever option you prefer, I use gps co'ord's , remember to set it too not use toll roads ( unless thats the way you prefer).
I play/fiddle/practise with my sat nav at home before I go so as to refresh my memory of where things are in the unit, like how to find the nearest supermarket or diesel station etc, most have these options.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
What3words is basically the same as Mapcodes which has existed since about 2001.

For example the Mapcode reference XS.TFT if entered onto a Tomtom which is the only GPS unit that accepts mapcodes it will give you a route to the front door of John Lewis at Bluewater. If you are outside the UK when you enter it you type in GBR XS.TFT

As you can see the code is as basic as a Post Code except that it is accurate enough to almost identify a Parking Bay in a car park. So whilst a Post Code can help you find a Campsite the correct Mapcode takes you to the actual entrance. UK Postcodes can take you as much as a mile from your desired location.

The Mapcode system is world wide so if you enter ESP PCT.NZ6 it will take you to the entrance barrier of the Monmar campsite in Moncofa in Spain.

I think it would be helpful if Mapcodes were use and published like Postcode or Long and Lat.

OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Thanku great replies that's why I luv this site.

My sat nav is Garmin and I'm looking t the Acsi book.
Iv now brought it in to practice incase we end up somewhere we didn't intend to!!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I've not yet encountered a problem with the ACSI coordinates being inaccurate and have used the sites in various countries for years.
I usually only put in the campsite coordinates when we are reasonably close as we like to plan our route on a paper map and it's not usually the route the satnav would use!
I like to plot my way to destination using lots of different "where to" along the way. On theTom Tom you can easily select town centre of any little place on the map but the Garmin requests a street name. In this case it is easiest to put in the road number that you want to be travelling on when you go through that town. Even then the Garmin wants the "post code" or equivalent so then you have no option but to just guess at the first in the list.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Do take heed of the directions given in the ACSI book as well. It is usually best to start to follow the campsite signs once close and ignore the satnav.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Do take heed of the directions given in the ACSI book as well.

But not always.

Somewhere on our last trip the instruction was along the lines of "take the A100, exit first roundabout for A Town Like Alice". That would have been fine if approaching from the South but we were on the A100 heading South, so it turned out to be the last roundabout.

But, hey, we are retired.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have found ACSI coordinates differ from the book to the app and have found quite a few that are incorrect on our Scandinavian trip this year.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But not always.

Somewhere on our last trip the instruction was along the lines of "take the A100, exit first roundabout for A Town Like Alice". That would have been fine if approaching from the South but we were on the A100 heading South, so it turned out to be the last roundabout.

But, hey, we are retired.
They all do this , allthe aires and France passion do this, and putting the road number doesn't help much as they seem to change them every week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back