Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
an ever evolving subject
seems to me the answer now (it may change tomorrow) is to buy a tablet (ipad etc) download a sat nav app with GPS and you can use it to do other things like read books etc.
simples!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
an ever evolving subject
seems to me the answer now (it may change tomorrow) is to buy a tablet (ipad etc) download a sat nav app with GPS and you can use it to do other things like read books etc.
simples!

I have an iPad with navfree on it and also a nexus 7 with the same and I must say the nexus is brilliant never gets lost and if you make a wrong turn it recalculates immediately without saying it is doing but the iPad isn't nowhere near as good it's always losing signal and is just too big to have in your windscreen and also a bit slow when it is working.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have an ipad with TomTom app (£70 with lifetime updates) which i think is brilliant but I agree it's a bit too big to put on the screen however if you are buying from new you could buy an ipad mini
http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/
which is only 7.5" and this would fit screen ok.
My son has just got one of these having had a full sized ipad for years and he says it's brilliant!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
does your ipad work off gps or the internet? there seems a lot fo confusion over this, apple lap tops i.e. macs dont have GPS although you can get a GPS dongle but you cant download the app! frustrating to say the least

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
The TomTom app must work off GPS as I don't have internet on my ipad when abroad!
Just updated programme and maps - all free :)

OP
OP
H

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
it just gets worse!

yesterday we went to the south west motorhome show with a view to getting to the bottom of this sat nav issue. It seems that there were half a dozen different stands selling different sat navs, most of which extolled the virtues of each one whilst at the same time running down the others and all trying to negotiate a price. one of them told me that the motorhome specific sets are the same. made in the same factory in china and you ask for a different name to put on it! all based on the snooper.
also the price you put on it depends on how many you buy!
I might be a little naive here but it all seems a right old scam and the person to suffer is the customer.
I think Ill get one off ebay for £40 and see how it goes!
thoughts please

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi. just bought one off ebay,7" screen ,full European mapping etc. seems to work very well and only cost me £46.00. so if it all goes pear shaped in a couple of months it aint cost me an arm and a leg.:Smile: seems quite well put together and it only took a few days to arrive...I say why pay a fortune for big brand names when you can get one at a fraction of the price which seems to work just as well! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Both my Samsung phone and tablet have CoPilot (free) and NavFree (free). Both work on gps, so no need for interweb connection.

Dumped all my Garmin's - they were cr@p anyway.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back