Sat Nav - Truck or MotorHome version? (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
My car sat nav sends me along unsuitable routes for its time to update. I'm used to my Garmin so am looking at their offering, but which one?
The truckers version:

or the caravans and motorhomes version

Any comments on what the difference is.

Many thanks
Gordon

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Sorry for that, couldn't help myself:D.
Seriously though, other than some possible campsites loaded on the motorhome sat nav, they will be the same, both have lifetime UK and Europe map updates, same unit and model. I'm fairly sure the caravan motorhome unit will be just a bonus extension of the HGV software, ie low bridges, narrow passes, weight restrictions and roads unsuitable for certain heavy / long vehicles. Possibly will also indicate suitable rest areas, lay-bys etc. no doubt someone off this forum will be able to supply the exact difference, if any. Otherwise seek some advice from your local Halfords store, they usually stock Garmin. They should be able to help. They also have some good offers with sat navs. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I know loads on here swear by them but;
Speaking from experience I wouldn't waste your money. We've tried two different truck satnavs and neither were any better than my standard Garmin Nuvi. We had a Snooper very expensive and a Chinese jobby very cheap. There was no difference between the two and IMO neither was fit for use, managed to get a full refund on both on condition I didn't leave negative reviews. :rolleyes:

We just use a Nuvi and maps now, occasionally get it wrong but not often and when we do it's usually my fault.

At least that what Jan tells me. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't bother. Neither of them will be reliable for width/height/weight restrictions because this isn't part of any GPS mapping data. The info that is on these units has been added manually and is by no means comprehensive. All they do is keep you on A roads or better as much as possible.
Get your existing one updated and buy a Truckers atlas like then use it to double check your routes. We use ours almost all the time now and just have the satnav on for traffic updates.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
My car sat nav sends me along unsuitable routes for its time to update. I'm used to my Garmin so am looking at their offering, but which one?
The truckers version:

or the caravans and motorhomes version

Any comments on what the difference is.

Many thanks
Gordon

We have just ordered a Dezl560 from these guys http://www.gps4you.co.uk/
they have the 760 for £269 plus £9 p & p

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My £50.00 Chinese thing does a brill job, even better then my TomTom too expensive model.
With every satnav should come a warning, printed in red.
'THE USER OF THIS DEVICE MUST ALSO USE COMMON SENSE MODEL 6/97'

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had the Garmin Dezl 560LMT (smaller version than 760 but still quite big) for over a year and it's much better than my previous (old) Nüvi 250W. Obviously it can only take account of 'lorry' data where this exists in the maps database, but it warns you if it has no information. It has worked well for me in UK, Holland, Belgium and France (so far) with relevant 'truck' routes on most larger roads. Apart from the 'truck' routing (which is not bad in my opinion) it also has useful features such as warning for lorry speed limits, bends, steep inclines etc. It does take account of weight and dimensions and routes accordingly, avoiding low bridges, weight limits etc.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
I have the garmin truck sat nav and it will allow you to put your weights and dimensions in. It also has a motorhome section and a car section .I think that it is a good piece of kit

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Good evening, just looked at GPS4U. for Garmin truck SAT Navs.
The add says 'free lifetime traffic updates' no mention of lifetime map updates ?
Can anyone say if map updates are included ?
Thanks.
Barrie

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You need to check the model number. Suffix LT is lifetime traffic; suffix LMT is lifetime maps and traffic (as in 560LT or 560LMT).

OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry for the delay, but I've been out of action for a while. Thanks for the replies they given some further thoughts. I have a Garmin nuvi 1490, which is a 5 inch unit designed for cars. I have life time map updates so I'm always up to date. Sadly I not impressed at some of the routes it chooses. Our April trip to France lead to scary situations, and I think a unit with better routing for trucks or campers would be in order. I was hoping someone could give some information on the route selection used on the two units, is it just the same or does the truck version work on a tighter selction method?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have only just bought the Garmin Desl 560 and have found a couple of useful features - It recognises that the 4250kg Motorhome is subject to lower speed limits on single and dual carriageways and gives a warning tone if I exceed any speed limit it has in the database. (Naturally there are lots of side streets that it doesn't have the data for and some where its not up to date (it can be a little annoying when it says your in a 30 which has changed to a 40 and so keeps beeping to warn you that you are exceeding the limit, but that only happened once since we started using it on Wednesday).
Also - so far it has kept us off the smaller roads where the Nuvi would have cut across country.
However it lost track of where we were once (today when we nearly home so knew the road anyway) This is something I will keep an eye on. It also said the M23 was "seven" (the junction number from the M25) for a while until we turned off for a toilet break and it recalculated the route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back