Sat Nav - phone/Avtex/Garmin? (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4I
Exp
Is the £330 price tag worth it for the Avtex Tourer Two Sat Nav GPS or will my phone suffice (or a Garmin)?
Starting tour of UK in April, including NC500, and as new to Motorhoming just wondering best set up for navigation.
Thanks

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not wanting hijack the post I am going to inherit an i phone from my daughter so I thought of an app for sat nav that I can put in the dimensions of our motorhome.
We have a normal Garmin at the moment but it has been caught out with some no go routes down green lanes. Ok with my Landrover but not a motorhome.
The Garmin for motorhomes and caravans seems rather costly.
What do you do about being connected to the internet with something like the Google Maps etc.

Upvote 1

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Not wanting hijack the post I am going to inherit an i phone from my daughter so I thought of an app for sat nav that I can put in the dimensions of our motorhome.
We have a normal Garmin at the moment but it has been caught out with some no go routes down green lanes. Ok with my Landrover but not a motorhome.
The Garmin for motorhomes and caravans seems rather costly.
What do you do about being connected to the internet with something like the Google Maps etc.
Try Road Lords. Free app android/iOS. designed for trucks and works similarly to Waze. Uses google maps

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
On the few trips we managed since buying the van in September we've used Google maps. They have the advantage of being free and offering ways around route obstructions. The timeline function maybe isn't for everyone but useful to work out where you were on a particular date, and you can share your location with another Google user should you want to. Deliberately picking some obtuse way-points and selecting avoid motorways has taken us on some fine tours of the UK countryside with excellent over-the-hedge views. Only disadvantage I've found so far is they don't avoid 6'6" restrictions.

Edit - just seen the last post re Road Lords .. interesting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
Is the £330 price tag worth it for the Avtex Tourer Two Sat Nav GPS or will my phone suffice (or a Garmin)?
Starting tour of UK in April, including NC500, and as new to Motorhoming just wondering best set up for navigation.
Thanks
Another consideration is screen size. My eyesights ok for driving etc., but looking at a phone screen from two feet away is not for me personally. I have the Avtex Tourer One and it gets my vote, free updates etc.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
If you have a newer Ducato with a pop-up dashboard it's possible to fit a 10in tablet and run any mapping app (Maps.me for us) tethered to a data source. I do this and split the screen between mapping, entertainment via the Aux input to the radio and a GPS speed indicator.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I use Garmin as I like to plot routes using Basecamp and then upload them to the sat nav for whichever vehicle I’m going to use. I can also send the routes to the other riders for them to upload.
I have a Zumo 660 for the motorbike and a Camper 760 for the motorhome.
They have both got free lifetime map updates. The Zumo is around 10 years old and has been very reliable. The camper is around 3 years old and has been reliable also. I would buy them again. I have used Tom Tom in ambulances and find it not user friendly. I don’t know if routing on the laptop then uploading is available for Tom Tom either.
If I remember correctly I think each unit was about £300 to £350.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Depends what size phone you have.
Also worth watching ebay and the like , I got my Avtex tourer almost new for half the price of new.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We bought a VW Tiguan when we changed the car, and it has VW's inbuilt Sat Nav just to remind us how good the Garmin & TomTom are ... VW only displays the keys available for addresses in the locale, so searching is, ahem, frustrating, and, once you are underway, the directions at, say, motorway islands is novel. 'Take the 7th exit ...', so off we go, then whilst we are midway through the manoeuvre, counting the exits off, it changes to 'Now take the 2nd exit', usually when we are between exits 4 & 5. Utterly bizarre, but does give a chance to sightsee during the 2nd circuit of the island ...

Suspect we'll be stumping up for dedicated Garmin if/when webuy the m/home this week!

Steve & Elaine

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I have a Garmin Camper760 and also use Waze on the phone. Not convinced with the Garmin yet. I asked it to take me home from a recent vist to a garage around 8 miles away. It took me the long way even though the roads on the direct route was more than adeqaute for the size of the vehicle.

Upvote 0

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I use Waze on my phone and never had a problem with the mh. I use it on loudspeaker also. I use it for the mbike also but with in-ear speakers.
I couldn't warrant spending a few hundred quid on a satnav. I used to use satnavs before Google maps and Waze became available and had issues with them then.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I have the Avtex tourer 2 and never regretted getting it. I use mobiles in the cars. Not attempted to configure my mobile sat navs for height/weight/width restrictions as don’t need it for the cars but very useful in the MH. Great screen and maps on the Avtex.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Thanks
We like ours - find the mapping and routing reliable, screen clear, and it links with our BT BC30 wireless camera which is a good reversing camera for us.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Another consideration is screen size. My eyesights ok for driving etc., but looking at a phone screen from two feet away is not for me personally.
I have a Samsung Galaxy TabA (10 inch screen). It is Android, and I have CoPilot (standard) on it. That works for me, but others may prefer the other version which you can input dimensions etc.

I also have a phone, showing Maps.me. I have it set zoomed in to show uncoming junctions and bends that are not so clear on the main Tab screen. We tend to use the main roads in the MH rather than narrow side roads - we park up for a few days and explore the area's narrow roads and villages on scooters.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use Garmin as I like to plot routes using Basecamp and then upload them to the sat nav ......
Same as us. (y)

....... a Camper 760 for the motorhome.
Same as us.(y)

They have both got free lifetime map updates.........
Same as us.(y)

The camper is around 3 years old and has been reliable also. I would buy them again. ......
Same as us.(y)

Mmmmmmmmmhh, must check next time out in the motorhome that it ain't you sitting in the passengers seat!:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If you have a newer Ducato with a pop-up dashboard it's possible to fit a 10in tablet and run any mapping app (Maps.me for us) tethered to a data source. I do this and split the screen between mapping, entertainment via the Aux input to the radio and a GPS speed indicator.
Depends on what version of the Fiat Ducato you have as some have the clip board thing but you cannot open it. Ours you can’t.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I will check out the apps as suggested. The only thing that could be a problem is the size of the screen.
Another choice would be to use my I pad instead. This all started with my daughter insisting I have her spare i phone. She was trying to tell me all the things I could use it for.

Upvote 0

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Used to use a dedicated satnav but now use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto depending which phone we use, mine or wife’s. Also use maps.me with .kml POIs of C&CC and CMC to locate sites as I’ve yet to find a way to add 1000s of POIs to Google/Apple maps.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I have a avtex one tourer & would buy it again , it’s ok but & has some nice features but I find putting in size & weights causes more problems than it cures so I follow a bog standard tomtom which I prefer

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have the CMC version of the Avtex tourer one (Garmin) sat nav, we use it alongside our I Phone on google maps plugged into the apple car play head unit.
Its a toss up between frustration & comedy, when they disagree with each other, never know which one is correct until you make a choice.
The Avtex takes time to realise you have ignored it and changed to a different route, but we have the stern voiced lady voice, so she probably copped the hump with us:giggle: Its also worrying when they go quiet for ages isnt it, since telling you to "Enter Motorway" but not saying for 128 miles like the Tom Tom used to.

Its just so refreshing to jump in our Newish BMW, and use it sats nav, push a button tell it where you want to go, it repeats your request then asks you to confirm verbally, you say yes, then it plots route, shows you live travel, advises you of ETA at current speed, and offers you an alternative in busy traffic. She gives 3 concise warnings to take a turn or junction, but also tells us the distance to the junction, then which lane in plenty of time. And she says Please!:inlove:
The Garmin waits until you are on the roundabout just before the give way line to inform you that you need the RHS side lane, when you are probably on the LHS lane by now hemmed in with traffic. Take the 4th exist is not that helpful in busy cities either with lorries & busses blocking your view.
I want the BMW sat nav in the van...if only:pray2:
LES

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mine has the clipboard but try as i might i cannot get it to lift so presume it is fixed down but looks like it should move ?

Upvote 0
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
My understanding is that if a passenger airbag is fitted then the dashboard doesn't popup. AFAIK. IMHO, ITCBSTBSAT (as far as I know, (in my humble opinion ( if there can be said to be such a thing))). (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
My understanding is that if a passenger airbag is fitted then the dashboard doesn't popup. AFAIK. IMHO, ITCBSTBSAT (as far as I know, (in my humble opinion ( if there can be said to be such a thing))). (y)
Are thanks for that it answers the question

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That was the rationale behind it however I believe some later X250 with airbags were fitted with a lift up document holder.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
If all you want from a satnav, is select a destination and go, almost anything that you're happy using will do.

I want more from mine so it's Garmin for me, create custom routes off line, and download any other maps from Open Street Maps, for practically anywhere in the world that will work without any phone/internet connection.

Please also note that Google maps though very good isn't 100% accurate.

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Mine has the clipboard but try as i might i cannot get it to lift so presume it is fixed down but looks like it should move ?
Mine is the same. I read in the vehicle manual that on models with passenger airbags the clipboard is fixed

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have Google maps showing location and then use sign posts for the next town/city. Can't go wrong with that, I've been stitched up too many times by software.

Navigation is OK for the last mile.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back