Sat Nav - Motorhome Friendly (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I would sugget you try the Co Pilot app on your mobile phone. Allows you to input the dimensions of your vehicle (L W & H) and select the most practical route over the fastest.

Used it over 700 miles in Wales abd 700 miles in the North of England and scotland recently without issue. Also gives live traffic updates and speed limits and will bluetooth into the radio for verbal instructions

The good thing is you get a 2 week free trial to see if it works for you. Think its about £25.00 after that , does not auto renew so no CCard details required.

Run it along side your usual system and compare

Obvs if there is only one way to get to a remote site they will be the same, however , this should not take you to where your MH cannot go.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Anyone tried RoadLords? That allows you to enter vehicle dimensions.
Yes I used it this month on a trip to Scottish Highlands and it performed quite well although on one part of the A9 north of Perth the road had been relocated a hundred yards and clearly the sat nav did not have the change as it kept trying to take me off. I also found the speed shown to be very erratic. Often showing 10mph faster.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
👍👍. It can be a little confusing as to what a Avtex Tourer 2 is. As I understand it it is a Garmin Camper 780 with pre-loaded sites for CAMC.
Not just CAMC SITES.pretty much every one. I am happy with mine, always got me where I want to go. Mind you I have always ignored sat navs when I know where I am.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I think we've all become very lazy (that includes me) when it comes to route planning. For 12 years I drove lorries doing deliveries to both business and to customers homes. I carried a good road atlas and countless town/ city street maps. We had around a dozen drivers and all had bought various town maps (covering all of Scotland) and we passed photo copies to the other drivers so that we all had a complete set and rarely became unstuck. If I couldn't find any place I did what my mum always taught me ' You've gote a good Scotch tongue in yer heid, use it'.
I still have all those maps even though it's almost 20 years since I used them, not much use here in Wales!
I wouldn't be with my sat nav now, I love them. I often wonder how I managed without one although I still carry a truckers map in the mh.

Boomba's

Free Member
Sep 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
We just brought and fitted the Aguri comes with a built in dash cam.
Just entre in all your vehicle sizes and all seems to work well. Possible a little on the quite side mind.

Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
OK so CoPilot, has anybody else used it enough to pass judgement?

There is a certain logic of using the technology in the kit (phone) you have and not spend another £300/£500 duplicating all but the software!!

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
Cant blame the SatNav but I once took a wrong turn and went through the back lanes of Mousehole.

I would imagine they are still talking about me.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I used CoPilot in north Norfolk. Sent me down the same extremely narrow roads as Google. And tried to send me through a 6'6" section when I'd input my width. As did RoadLords and Sygic Truck.

Deleted User
My Garmin Drive 50 Sat Nav always picks routes which include unnecessary sections down tiny lanes to the point where I don't want to use it. Can anyone suggest any settings or changes I can make to Garmin or a more motorhome friendly Sat Nav? Google maps consistently provides more motorhome friendly routes but I don't have the data to use it in Europe.
We have had a Garmin Camper 770 for a few years now. Far better than our previous "camper" satnav (a Snooper Venura as recommended by the Caravan Club, which was awful). The Garmin can store the camper's dimensions and even comes with loads of campsites preloaded. Not cheap, but well worth what we paid for it. We now use it in preference to the sat nav pre-installed on our Adria Twin.

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
My Sat Nav took me through Nant Gwyant in Snowden - in theory if the road is big enough for one vehicle it may send you in that direction.

I didn't know the route (should have checked before) - but hey what views we got.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There are lots of tiny back country roads that are technically fine for everything including an HGV. But everyone would be making use of passing points. If that's the only road into a quaint little camp site, then your satnav should use it.

But a motorhome satnav should assume the journey time on these roads is very slow. Then, when it's finding the fastest route, it's unlikely to route you down them. But I've not seen any satnavs that are any good at doing this. They just seem to think you'll manage to go much faster than you do.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
But a motorhome satnav should assume the journey time on these roads is very slow. Then, when it's finding the fastest route, it's unlikely to route you down them. But I've not seen any satnavs that are any good at doing this. They just seem to think you'll manage to go much faster than you do.
I set my maximum speed for single carriageways, for the type of vehicle I am driving, eg, 50Mph/80Kph, which gives me a very realistic destination arrival time. When I check the alternative routes, they can often show different mileages and timings.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I set my maximum speed for single carriageways, for the type of vehicle I am driving, eg, 50Mph/80Kph, which gives me a very realistic destination arrival time. When I check the alternative routes, they can often show different mileages and timings.

Cheers,

The issue is that tiny single tracks across the Highlands are very different from the A5. But a lot of satnavs can't tell.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The issue is that tiny single tracks across the Highlands are very different from the A5. But a lot of satnavs can't tell.
Agreed, but it does take into account speed limits. Would a tiny single track across the Highlands have a 60Mph speed limit? :whatthe:

Cheers,

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
I've been using Sygic Truck on Android with a Samsung S5e - great display, bright 10" screen - but had a few problems with Sygic's maps.

I'm looking at trying TomTom MyDrive Android app; under 'Plan Route' there is a tiny vehicle icon on the right, above the map. Tap on that and you can select Camper - light, heavy or car with caravan - and enter dimensions, weight, axle weight and maximum speed. There's a small annual subscription for the app.

Locally TomTom's maps and routing seem more accurate than Sygic's for larger vehicles.

These are also available from the web app https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb and routes can be transferred to the Android app on the same account.

Has anyone used this?

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Avtex Tourer 2 👍
I find the Avtex Tourer 2 is better in car settings than camper setting. If I go down a better route than it suggests then in car settings it quickly changes to the way I want to go. If I change my route in camper setting it keeps trying to send me down tiny little lanes (far smaller than the road I am on) to get back to the route it wanted me to go down in the first place.
Although you can view and adapt the route before you start it is not always easy to go through the whole journey.

MikeMex

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2008
OK so CoPilot, has anybody else used it enough to pass judgement?

There is a certain logic of using the technology in the kit (phone) you have and not spend another £300/£500 duplicating all but the software!!
I’ve used Copilot for a good few years now on my iPad and iPhone. Pretty good for the car but not so good for the MH, took me down some pretty tight roads. Take at look at the reviews, they are not good. I agree that if you get a dedicated SAT NAV you are paying for the screen and associated electronics which you already have with iPhone/iPad/tablet/android phone etc., but I bit the bullet and bought the Avtex Tourer 2 (a Garmin 780 with pre-installed CMAC sites) which is not perfect but one of the best SAT NAVs I have ever owned and works well for my MH in the UK and France. You can search for any campsite, and has many other good MH features.

MikeMex

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2008
Yep. All national speed limit.
Absolutely - 60 for a MH up to 3500kg, 50 for MH over 3500kg on single track roads unless marked otherwise.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I sacked my Garmin Camper as it was too cautious. Took me on routes which it didnt need to that added miles to the trip.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
it’s the standard Boxer unit so I’d have thought it would understand the vehicle dimensions and stick to more realistic routes. (To be fair we‘ve never actually got stuck, just don’t like going down lanes where both mirrors are touching the hedges…)
It’s a standard boxer cab which the sat nag knows about but someone stuck a house on the back of it that it doesn’t know about 😳

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yep. All national speed limit.

Absolutely - 60 for a MH up to 3500kg, 50 for MH over 3500kg on single track roads unless marked otherwise.

It would. All single carriageway (or single track) roads unless otherwise signed are limited to 60mph.
Yes yes yes, I am well aware of the appropriate speed limits for varying vehicles/weights, etc. I was suggesting that the full length of the tiny roads through the Highlands may/will be subjected to mandatory speed restrictions at certain areas, in the interest of road safety, ie, which the programmed Sat Nav would take into account when providing a route and timings.

Cheers,

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
It’s a standard boxer cab which the sat nag knows about but someone stuck a house on the back of it that it doesn’t know about 😳
No, it’s a PVC so the external dimensions are identical to the LWB van (well, technically, minibus) the factory sold to Autosleeper …

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We have a human co pilot and use a old fashioned map, in actual paper form. When we get stuck, we have a little row, though the book have a laugh and pick up the book again. About £15.99 per yr,, as book does get a good battering.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back