Sat Nav ... keeps taking us on a mystery tour! (1 Viewer)

Buster30

Free Member
Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
On the tomtom camperthere is an option in route planning to avoid unpaved roads, I suggest that this is switched on, it defaults off

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On the tomtom camperthere is an option in route planning to avoid unpaved roads, I suggest that this is switched on, it defaults off
Not sure if this is for me or others who have trouble but we don't allow it to use unpaved roads ... it's bad enough without that ability! :D

Buster30

Free Member
Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
Sometimes you don’t know until you get to one and then it is too late

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did you stop in A Coruna?
We drove round it to Hercules' tower etc but didn't actually venture in as it was starting to rain heavily and also school leaving 'rush-hour' (they just double/treble park on the main roads with their hazard lights on with no regard for the chaos they cause!) so we just came to the stop for the night at Miradoiro Fiestra ao Atlántico:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...d961ec17aef5ffd!8m2!3d43.3772259!4d-8.4461327

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.3772789,-8.4459961,110m/data=!3m1!1e

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I did a quick trip to Belgium for the 11th of the 11th commemorations and for the first time ever I detailed every destination prior to going, it worked a treat until I was almost home. The sat nag was constantly trying to take me away from my destination which was HOME, I do know where I live I thought.
I realized the next morning that I had moved house four years ago :sleep::sleep::whistle:(y)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have Garmin and as has been mentioned earlier also use Basecamp to pre plan my routes. I don’t know if Tom tom have this type of thing. For the people having problems with their sat nav taking them along inappropriate roads even though they have entered their dimensions. I was informed that the weight needs to be over 3.5t or the sat nav thinks it is in a car and ignores the dimensions. My Garmin is set at 4t and has not taken me along inappropriate roads since.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We drove round it to Hercules' tower etc but didn't actually venture in as it was starting to rain heavily and also school leaving 'rush-hour' (they just double/treble park on the main roads with their hazard lights on with no regard for the chaos they cause!) so we just came to the stop for the night at Miradoiro Fiestra ao Atlántico:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Miradoiro+Fiestra+ao+Atlántico/@43.3772331,-8.4455723,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0xd2e7db15e648c5d:0x8d961ec17aef5ffd!8m2!3d43.3772259!4d-8.4461327

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.3772789,-8.4459961,110m/data=!3m1!1e
Same about the weather, interesting town once you get over the maniac traffic. We parked up in the Aquarium carpark near the Torr de Hercules
Some pics from our visit a few weeks ago Here & Here & Here

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Lost track of how many posts there have been about satnavs since I started motorhoming, bought a 7inch Snooper in late 2011, expensive yes over 6 years later still working as good as new YES

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Flaming sat nav hit again today! Weather not good so we decided to do a bit of driving down to Portugal and passed Pontevedra where diesel was €1.157 but the Spanish 'fuel prices' site we'd been using indicated a fair bit cheaper lower down so we stupidly trusted it. As we travelled the price of fuel went up at least €1.289 with the only cheaper being €1.249 so we went to try our 'last hope' at Tui just before the border. We were happily tootling there but the sat nav decided, rather than take us along the motorway and off with a small circle back of about 1km, to exit much earlier and down stupid ruddy little roads again:mad:, so in the end we ignored it completely and got back on the motorway and came off at the exit it SHOULD have taken us off at. The fuel station was well hidden behind a clothing outlet called OutletTui, which had a weird way to get to it and I wouldn't like to try to take a long/large MH for fuel, but we got there and the diesel was €1.209 a litre ... not as cheap as we'd like and had we known we'd have got it at Pontevedra but we live and learn.:rolleyes:

Needless to say the flipping sat nav has been well chastised and if it misbehaves again will end up 'flying' home ... if it can find it's way there on it's own once it's slung out of the window! :sneaky:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I shall ask buggerlugs in the morning as he's gone to bed already and see if so, see if turning it off makes a difference. I suspect, though, that the mapping for Spain is just pants and the gps location accuracy in some of the coastal areas is bad as we have had it 'lose' us completely sometimes. At present we are on the North East side of Spain, just down past Coruna and it 'lost' us again on our way here travelling southwards ... its beautiful scenery though!
isnt that north west spain?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
isnt that north west spain?
Ah-ha ... so you are in cahoots with the sat nav telling me I'm in the west rather than the east :D ... its because I've been reading Ouest on the road signs that's done it ... makes me think of east rather than west! :X3:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just a bit of a heads-up to those who use Sygic sav nav software as it can lead you astray or take you on mystery tours! :confused:

We have a 10" tablet with Sygic sat nav on and usually swear by it (rather than at it) however on the last 2 holidays it occasionally has a little 'wander' for no reason, taking a detour rather than the direct route, eg sometimes it decides to take us off a motorway, onto a side road, then back on the motorway again ... no idea why but its happened before and although we've had some 'lovely' village mystery tours it's also very annoying when it decided to take us down road then are then dead ends which it thinks aren't due to their being rough tracks at the end of them which we can use too ... this is despite having the 'use unpaved roads' turned off.

It's also having difficulty working out how many exits there are on roundabouts, sometimes it counts the little roads, sometimes not, sometimes one-way ones ON to the roundabout are classes as exits, other times they're not, the map graphics and the voice instructions therefore aren't totally 'in sync' in this regard. It means that we are having to be very careful with it when passing any junctions etc to make sure whether we should or shouldn't be taking them. The latest version of the software has a glitch which sometimes states that "it is not possible to reach X without using toll roads" which we knew was wrong as we'd done the same routes before, so we switched back to the earlier version and had no such problem.

Today we had a merry little tour round to try to get to a lovely night stop next to a beach, 3 times it tried to take us down stupid little tracks and in the end we made our way back to a main road and I managed to work out which way we SHOULD have been directed using PROPER roads! It was worth it in the end as the location is beautiful and there's just us and another campervan here, we are literally a few feet from the beach itself and the sound of the waves is glorious (although someone on the Park4night site said they didn't like it here as the noise of the sea meant they couldn't sleep! :doh:

The issues appear to be down to the maps that Sygic use which obviously haven't been updated for a LONG time seeing as some of the supposed roads had grass growing over them! However, it is possible to use the same mapping that TomTom does with Sygic so when we get back home we'll give that a try instead.
S
AFAIK Sygic use Tom Tom maps

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
S
AFAIK Sygic use Tom Tom maps
It can but it also uses Here maps which is what our version Is using, so we'll try the TT ones when we get home.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It can but it also uses Here maps which is what our version Is using, so we'll try the TT ones when we get home.
I use the Here maps, and never have a problem with them. In fact, I really need to update them again before we go anywhere. I think Here Maps 2018 Q3 are available.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I use the Here maps, and never have a problem with them. In fact, I really need to update them again before we go anywhere. I think Here Maps 2018 Q3 are available.

Cheers,

I suspect it varies from country to country as we don't have the same problems
in the UK but in Spain and Portugal we are.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I suspect it varies from country to country as we don't have the same problems
in the UK but in Spain and Portugal we are.
Using the same maps, I haven't had a problem in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, and Spain, over the last 18 x months Mel.
I can't help thinking that you may have corrupt files unique to the Spain & Portugal folders. :(

Good luck sorting it out.

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back