East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Posted in Navigation:-

Anyone experiencing issues with (in my case a Camper 760) NOT being recognised as a Device in Base Camp despite being able to load, upgrade maps et; using the same USB cable. It`s actually sat there now, Connected (physically) with the Sat Nav Screen showing garmin.com/express etc;. But when I look in Base Camp No device is showing?.

Pete

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My guess is that it is more an issue with your PC than sat unit...

However, mine sometimes fails to go into "connect" mode at times.. usually remedied by "re-booting" sat and/or PC

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Mine too... occasionally doesn't connect. A reboot always sorts it. In fairness if it's connected to Garmin Express on the PC I'm pretty sure it's always connected to basecamp on the odd occasion I've opened it and stared blankly at it ...

One day

A quick check on google reveals that some people have resolved your issue by completely stopping basecamp and restarting it. (Ie ensure you dont star basecamp before the unit is connected) Others have only succeeded by using a different computer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Connect a couple of different Garmin sat navs to two desktops and two laptops all running Windows 7. Never had a problem yet however, as suggested by SDC above, sat nav has always been connected before starting BaseCamp.
BTW I store the database on a USB stick so I can move it around the different computers.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK wind back on last post!

Just booted one of the Windows laptops, started BaseCamp and then plugged in the Garmin 760 and it appeared under Devices in the left-hand panel.

What version of BaseCamp are you using?

BTW, map update (2017.30) and Express update (5.0.0.0) just out.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Fully up to date. and Express is working OK. But still Base Camp not show my Device.? I have tried every USB cable I posses, including the one that came in the garmin box!. Version 4.6.2

OK!! so Desperate times call for desperate measures. Down loaded NEW copy of Base camp, Uninstalled existing copy (Same Version!). Loaded NEW copy, connected Garmin. Fiddled about with it and Bingo!, we have it showing up as a "Device". Now, All I need is to get the Map I created on Base camp onto the device, seems simple, But then so did the whole thing.

Why is Garmin SO complex when compared to my (so old even T-T have stopped supporting it1) Old Tom Tom?. I could put in a "Via" direct. Garmin wants me to create a new route and put them in in sequence?, which is a complete waste of MY time!, there appears to be no facility to INSERT a Via?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Easy to add a 'via' if you are just planning a route on the device. (not tried using Base Camp so not sure on that)
Just return to 'Go to' and enter the place you want to go via.
It will then ask if you want to add the destination to your existing route.
Once added you can then repeat with other 'via's'.
You then drag them into the order you want.

If that is not what you are trying to achieve I apologise.

Richard.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Fully up to date. and Express is working OK. But still Base Camp not show my Device.? I have tried every USB cable I posses, including the one that came in the garmin box!. Version 4.6.2

OK!! so Desperate times call for desperate measures. Down loaded NEW copy of Base camp, Uninstalled existing copy (Same Version!). Loaded NEW copy, connected Garmin. Fiddled about with it and Bingo!, we have it showing up as a "Device". Now, All I need is to get the Map I created on Base camp onto the device, seems simple, But then so did the whole thing.

Why is Garmin SO complex when compared to my (so old even T-T have stopped supporting it1) Old Tom Tom?. I could put in a "Via" direct. Garmin wants me to create a new route and put them in in sequence?, which is a complete waste of MY time!, there appears to be no facility to INSERT a Via?.

That was going to be my next "solution" to try - reinstall the software to get it's knickers untwisted!;)
To transfer a map to the device from BaseCamp is relatively simple -
  • connect your sat nav to the computer
  • if it's a route you want to transfer -
    • select your route
    • click "Device"
    • click "Send to device"
    • click "Send your route name to device"
  • if it's a map you want to transfer -
    • click "Maps"
    • follow instructions on the following screens
    • as an aside, I always use the install to both device and computer option on Garmin Express rather than transferring it from one to the other
To create waypoints (start \ via \ end points) in BaseCamp -
  • right click on the map at the specific point you want to create
  • click "New Waypoint"
  • you can repeat this as many times as you want
  • you can then create a route from these waypoints
Apologies if you knew all this!

As another aside, I store the database on a USB stick so I can move this around various pcs. It also means that if you have to reinstall or install the software on a new pc it's a simple matter of linking this to your saved database in "Database Options". You can also back-up and restore you data -
  • click "File"
  • click "Back-up \ Restore"
  • select location for back-up \ restore

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back